Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th May 2011, 21:02   #1
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Default Jatco oil and OBD code readers

My CDT auto has started thumping between gears very badly.

It is ok until it gets a bit warmed up, then really thumps as it changes at around 20mph.

Thanks to viewing some of the excellent and informative threads on this wonderful site, I did some resistance checks on the solenoids.

One gave an out of range resistance reading, so I legged it to the scrappers and nabbed a replacement that gave the right reading.

It was quite easy to do, what with the donor car being half striped, but I must admit I do not relish the thought of doing it on my complete car.

However, apart from my lingering doubts about why it only happens when it get a bit warm, I visited Rimmers site to order some jatco oil, but there are about three there, and it was not clear to me which one was the N402 type widely given as the correct oil.

Can anyone, in simple terms, point me in the right direction of a suplier of the correct fluid?

I may yet ring Rimmers to try to clarify the webpage, but I would always look to see what assembled wisdom there is on this site first!

If there is anyone with direct experience of the newer type of OBD readers, I would also appreciate some feedback on this.

I am not looking to try to do a Testbook on the cheap, only to look at and erase, fault codes for fault finding.

A lot of the quite cheap types claim to cover all the non-rover specific types of codes, using the same generic protocol that rover/bmw used.

If anyone has a code reader that has enabled fault code reading and erasing, please give us a heads up on the model of reader used.

Best wishes to all, Frank B
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 21:13   #2
jn12
Gets stuck in

MG ZT SE 180 V6 Sports Auto

Hi Frank,

This is the correct fluid, yes very expensive!

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-VYK000040

I also have a gear box problem although minendoes not seem as bad as yours.
How did you check you solinoids? did you remove the front panel on the gear box?

regards
John
jn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 22:06   #3
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

I have the Jatco service manual and it says the P codes can be retrieved using either TestBook or any Keyword 2000 diagnostics tool.

I also have a list of codes so if you know what it is I can at least post what it is.

I had the same symptoms a couple or so years ago and it needed two solenoids to be replace. Has worked perfectly since.

Edd
Old 8th May 2011, 23:12   #4
hayes'ee
Avid contributor

MG ZTT SE 180; MG ZR 160

I'm only in around Manchester if there's some codes you want reading and erasing, or is it one to keep that your after??
Old 9th May 2011, 07:14   #5
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

After a quick search I found this one on eBay... Click Me

It has our cars listed as supported. Needs a laptop to put the software on.

And seems quite cheap.

Has anyone had any experience with these - Pros and Cons???

Edd
Old 11th May 2011, 20:43   #6
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Thanks to all who responded. Judging from a few posts around there are still people like me who are confused on 75 issues.

First up thanks to John who advises the righ type of fluid to get from Rimmers.

John also asked if I had removed the front plate from my jatco box.

I did not need to do this on my own car, as I found some excellent diagnostic advice on this site detailing the resistance readins that should be found on the gearbox connector.

The connector were a bit of a pain, requiring a pair of water pump pliers to unscrew initially. Once undone, it was a lot more free, so it has probably never been off.

The resistance checks confirmed one of the solenoids was down, so I nipped to the scrappers and undid the front plate on a handy jatco.

Easy to do on a half-stripped car, but probably a pain on mine, when I eventually get home to do it.

Many thanks to Edd and Ian. I was looking to buy one of the newer generation code readers, rather than my old ford pwm PC based kit.

I know the readers work with 75 diesels from 2003 on, but wanted to know if anybody had experience of using one on a 51 plate car.

I have got a buch of code definitions, but no reader currently.

I would like to confirm my resistance diagnostics with a fault code read before I replace one solenoid and find there is another than give good resistance readings, but does not work.

I am off on site for most of the next two or more weeks, so playing with the car sat at home is out.

Best wishes, Frank B
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 00:03   #7
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

I have just received today a CD with a whole heap of stuff about repairing one of these boxes. I haven't looked at the CD yet but I have a box in the garage I intend to dismantle over the next few weeks.

All going to be very interesting. I have no intention of trying to repair it but then it depend on what is required to put it all back together again..

Edd
Old 12th May 2011, 07:22   #8
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

i have fund that the maxiscan is a very good hand held reader .. can also connect it to laptop to recieve updates from their web site .... one work of warning though ,expect to pay in the early 60`s pound notes thats is ,as some of the cheaer ones are copies that play up . my one has even found codes that snap on readers havent . if getting a maxi scan yten make sure you get the one that does the abs and air bag ,it also has component test features ...