Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2007, 18:34   #1
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Default Stupid me - Engine cover bolts

I''ve just discovered today that the last time I had my accoustic cover of my CDT I only did up one of the bolts- must have been interupted, the other two I would have put on the the slam panel but these have disappeared, either down on the engine tray or on the road.

Anyway anyone know a part number to get a couple of replacements.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2007, 20:13   #2
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

At a guess MYG100390 Bolt-flanged head - M6 x 16 - acoustic cover to cam cover
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2007, 20:52   #3
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Thanks Keith
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2007, 17:28   #4
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I just used 25mm M6 stainless allen head set screws I had in stock, replaced all 3, and a few more visible ones - such as where I'd taken the air intake off the slam panel to do mod Mk2.
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2008, 11:53   #5
kookiemg
Regular poster

2001 Rover 75 CDT(i) XPower Upgrade Rover Ron Conn SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
I just used 25mm M6 stainless allen head set screws I had in stock, replaced all 3, and a few more visible ones - such as where I'd taken the air intake off the slam panel to do mod Mk2.
I did this too...but a word of warning....it would seem that I shouldn't have! The leftmost one has pierced the cam cover!! So when the acoustic cover is off and the engine is running...oil pops out of the bolt hole!! I really do hope that no metal has broken off into the timing chain...
I didn't feel any resistance, had I, I would've stopped immediately.
My friendly ex MGR technician has seen it and isn't overly worried as there is no real pressure under the cam cover, so as long as there is a correctly fitting (16mm) bolt in there, all is well. A new cam cover is over £200...and there's a fair bit of work to do to replace...simply not worth it...Had they all been present and correct when I bought the car...I wouldn't have felt the need to fill the vacant hole
Old 14th March 2008, 12:37   #6
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookiemg View Post
I did this too...but a word of warning....it would seem that I shouldn't have! The leftmost one has pierced the cam cover!! So when the acoustic cover is off and the engine is running...oil pops out of the bolt hole!! I really do hope that no metal has broken off into the timing chain...
I didn't feel any resistance, had I, I would've stopped immediately.
My friendly ex MGR technician has seen it and isn't overly worried as there is no real pressure under the cam cover, so as long as there is a correctly fitting (16mm) bolt in there, all is well. A new cam cover is over £200...and there's a fair bit of work to do to replace...simply not worth it...Had they all been present and correct when I bought the car...I wouldn't have felt the need to fill the vacant hole
Had my engine cover off a few times, and not noticed any oil spillage, but then I've not run the engine with the cover off either. Will check and report back, but I think the setscrews I used were no longer than the OE jobbies.

Thanks for the warning though.........

Malcolm
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote