Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th July 2020, 06:13   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Tea Plus What?

Early this morning, I had watched the sunrise from my kitchen window, permanently ajar during the summer. Beautiful start to the day, and with a cuppa in hand, life was bliss - until I saw a wasp (sworn enemy of mankind) searching around the cooker.

Great move coming up when I reached past said beastie to pick up my anti frying splash grid and walloped it across the kitchen. Ah, where did that go, I couldn't find it. Went to sip my tea to stare at the aforementioned little b - well wasp, well boiled now, in my cuppa. What a waste of a tea bag.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 06:27   #2
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Early this morning, I had watched the sunrise from my kitchen window, permanently ajar during the summer. Beautiful start to the day, and with a cuppa in hand, life was bliss - until I saw a wasp (sworn enemy of mankind) searching around the cooker.

Great move coming up when I reached past said beastie to pick up my anti frying splash grid and walloped it across the kitchen. Ah, where did that go, I couldn't find it. Went to sip my tea to stare at the aforementioned little b - well wasp, well boiled now, in my cuppa. What a waste of a tea bag.
Ah! But what a way to go, better in mug of tea rather that a pint of ale.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 06:33   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Ah! But what a way to go, better in mug of tea rather that a pint of ale.
Depending on the beer, but it could still leave a bitter taste!
Old 11th July 2020, 06:50   #4
MGjim
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160+

I know that the poor wasp has a bad reputation, but they are still a vital part of the ecosystem.....
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/what-do-wasps-do.html
MGjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 07:34   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGjim View Post
I know that the poor wasp has a bad reputation, but they are still a vital part of the ecosystem.....
Born with a chip on their thorax! (well, hatched)
Old 11th July 2020, 08:57   #6
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post

Poor wasp, what did he do to you?

I'm huge believer that everything has a right to live and if you are not prepared to eat it then don't kill it!
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 11:14   #7
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Wasps are pollinators and are very good for catching midges and other little irritants, but of course having even one of them indoors is particularly unwelcome, such as the time I put my work boots back on after my lunch break and got about 10 paces out of the house when the sudden burning sensation began to affect the sole of my foot. Not sure how many times it stung me, but it was painful to walk for days! A nearby colony can also wreak havoc on any fruit you may be growing, as I know to my immense frustration - last year's entire crop of cherries was picked clean while they were still green, leaving the stones hanging from the trees like hundreds of little skulls.

Wasps are also highly territorial creatures and are very aggressive about defending their area from other wasps. So if a ranger flies into your garden and sees what looks like another colony's nest hanging from a tree or the side of the house or whatever, it will avoid the risk of confrontation and you are far less likely to have an actual nest built nearby. Back in March, I put up a fake wasps' nest at the top of the fence that encloses my little orchard. This year, despite working outdoors for long hours nearly every day, thus far I have seen exactly one wasp.

This is the version I got - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192864363582
One of these should be effective over a radius of at least 200 feet, so long as it's put up early enough in the year - it definitely won't deter an already established colony. The first one I put up last year ended up being destroyed either by strong wind & rain or by the likes of magpies pecking at it. So this year I replaced it with one I'd reinforced by completely covering it with packing tape, and it's still there four months later. No pesticides, no poisons, no more practicising martial arts with the invisible man.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2020, 15:11   #8
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

That's really clever, I didn't know they made fake nests.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote