Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th January 2021, 09:31   #51
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND23 View Post
Unfortunately it's not my opinion it's factual information. At the risk of repeating myself the main BBC news website carries a sports section that is updated at least daily. Out of the seven possible articles on display more often than not all seven are devoted to male sports, they sometimes throw in one or two female articles but this is by no means the norm. To ignore 50% of the population on a regular basis is shameful. Easy to check if you doubt my facts.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

The fact that 50% of the population is female is irrevelant to your argument. It is what % of the male/female population actually play and follow sport. Go down to Hackney Marshes at the weekend or any other similar facilities and tell me what % of the football teams are female. Same applies to rugby. If you look at hockey where you would expect the majority of teams to be ladies sides they are in the minority. Even in sports where they can compete equally alongside men eg bowls,I know from personal experience, that men out number women at bowls clubs.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 13:23   #52
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I bet if they swapped shirts at the end of the match like the men do the viewing figures would improve.

Not sure about the rugby players.
Old 20th January 2021, 13:38   #53
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Not sure about the rugby players.
Boo! Hiss! Behind you! Behind you! Lol.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 13:40   #54
ND23

Not disclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
The fact that 50% of the population is female is irrevelant to your argument. It is what % of the male/female population actually play and follow sport. Go down to Hackney Marshes at the weekend or any other similar facilities and tell me what % of the football teams are female. Same applies to rugby. If you look at hockey where you would expect the majority of teams to be ladies sides they are in the minority. Even in sports where they can compete equally alongside men eg bowls,I know from personal experience, that men out number women at bowls clubs.

I suppose it depends very much on your view of the resposibility of the media. Does the lack of reporting on female sports reflect the reality of actually what is happening or not? Has the media a responsibility to ensure balance in it's reporting? Does the lack of interest of females in female sports reflect the fact that reporting on female sports is often hard to find? Remember that for years in the UK schools promoted boys only football in a similar way to 'girls do cooking and boys do woodwork.' This is obviously now changing quite rapidly and I think the BBC should reflect this change in attitudes by actively promoting female sports by at least recognising that they make up 50% of our population. I am not for one moment suggesting that we adopt the PC model and stick rigidly to 50% share of each gender but having viewed the BBC News page sports section over many years it is patently obvious to me that as far as the BBC is concerned female sports reporting is of little interest to anyone. Anecdotally I can say that out of the seven slots available in this sports section of the BBC website, on average there will be one section devoted to female sports, very occasionally two and frequently none at all. It's a bit of a chicken and egg argument really, is the lack of interest down to the lack of exposure or down to the lack of participation? All I do know is that women's football has seen great strides over the last couple of years and it's popularity has increased enormously, is that exposure driving interest? I still think the BBC has a long way to go and it is still living in the past in many ways. Having said that I do think that it is an institution worth preserving and although others may disagree think it's worth the licence fee.
ND23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 13:49   #55
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

The mandate of the BBC is to report not to promote minority interests.
Old 20th January 2021, 14:18   #56
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
He lives in that well known tax haven Monaco and to be honest given the money he earns to say he is in the top 5000 tax payers in the UK speaks volumes for his tax avoidance. Still doesn't alter the fact that he drives for a German racing team and lives the high life in Monaco, what's the UK got to be proud of?
It doesn't alter the facts that YOU said---Quote.-It also continues to applaud the likes of Lewis Hamilton who drives for a German racing team, lives in Monaco, pays no UK taxes but is 'voted' BBC sports personality of the year.

You got that wrong.---What else have you got wrong ???---Can we really believe all the other things you say.--( You didn't even admit to this error.-- You are not. )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 16:59   #57
ND23

Not disclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
It doesn't alter the facts that YOU said---Quote.-It also continues to applaud the likes of Lewis Hamilton who drives for a German racing team, lives in Monaco, pays no UK taxes but is 'voted' BBC sports personality of the year.

You got that wrong.---What else have you got wrong ???---Can we really believe all the other things you say.--( You didn't even admit to this error.-- You are not. )

I'm not asking you to believe anything I have said, check it out for yourself. I am not in the business of justifying my actions to you or anyone else. I have provided you with assertions backed up by links if you wish to verify my assertions yourself. But I doubt that is the point of your post, just another troll trying to derail the debate. Sad really.
ND23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 18:16   #58
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
I'm not asking you to believe anything I have said, check it out for yourself. I am not in the business of justifying my actions to you or anyone else. I have provided you with assertions backed up by links if you wish to verify my assertions yourself. But I doubt that is the point of your post, just another troll trying to derail the debate. Sad really.

What is the point of posting anything if you do not want people to believe it.
Just because people do not agree with you does not make them trolls.
Do not throw your toys out of the pram.
Old 20th January 2021, 22:33   #59
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Talking

I don,t know the answer to your question because I'm a poor little northern boy who knows nothing ... nothing at all. Except, maybe, who flew G-LDCH for LH.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2021, 23:01   #60
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I would not pretend to know myself but, how do you know that he got it wrong?

"Motorsport UK chairman David Richards sent a letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson in November explaining that Hamilton "is subject to withholding tax at source in nine countries" and "files tax returns in four of the nine countries".HMRC's UK Income Tax Liabilities Statistics, published in 2019, puts Hamilton among the top 5,000 highest tax payers in the UK."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1780786.html

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is online now   Reply With Quote