Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th November 2007, 08:30   #1
rollsey1
Loves to post

Honda Super Magna

Default What is it with ebay and the Nigerian connection?

Unlike many it would appear, I’m a big fan of ebay, but thought this cautionary tale may be of interest.

My friend auctioned a phone and it was bid up to £85. No sooner had the auction finished when ebay cancelled the final bid, quite correctly.

There then followed a series of spoof emails.
The 1st was apparently from ebay, suggesting that the bid was cancelled due to technical difficulties. A second followed asking for the item to be posted to Nigeria, (always a popular destination for some reason), and once a tracking number was received, funds would follow (funds couldn’t be moved the tracking number). A third came from “PayPal” suggesting funds had arrived in her account. A fourth again suggested technical difficulties and an instruction to post without delay, and so on. So far, some 10 emails have arrived and the end doesn’t appear to be in sight yet.

So for the inexperienced, never assume emails from ebay or PayPal are genuine. The clue is often in the way they are written as well as the web address. And never send goods without independently logging onto your PayPal account to check the funds arrival first.
rollsey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 08:50   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

If you load down the EBay toolbar it also tells you if items, emails and PayPal messages are genuine or not,
when you try to open them plus some other facilities.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 11:26   #3
tourerfogey
Banned

Always check the authenticity of emails supposedly from other ebayers by going direct to your 'messages' screen in 'My eBay' NOT by clicking a link in an email.

I was going to say something else too, but I've forgotten what it was now....
tourerfogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2007, 11:27   #4
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

"hover" your mouse over any links in those emails, and your browser will show where they are from. any links that have anything other than the ones you know are from ebay are to be avoided. I have seen ones that look perfect, right down to the correct fonts, layout and colours but the links always have an extra . or 2 in them ie: paypal.ru.com or ebay.ru.pi.com etc.
as a general rule, watch out for scammers with UK email accounts, they seem to be on the increase.
Old 2nd December 2007, 00:51   #5
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

there was a story here recently about some woman who was duped by the scammers. It seems she fell for the oldest chestnut in the book, the old "please send to my sister in Nigeria" story I mean, sorry.. but do these people not read the newspapers?
Old 2nd December 2007, 10:18   #6
sylvester
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Phew - have just sold a couple of items on ebay and sent them once notification of payment had been received from Paypal but without checking my account first. Thanks for the tip for the future. Fortunately the items were sent to UK addresses and they are both genuine.
My wife and I ran a Dot.com business upto a year ago. I am sorry to say that we soon learned to recognise a Nigerian accent and lost count of the number of times people tried to buy from us using stolen credit cards or wanted goods sending to Nigeria, seems to be something of a national pastime!
sylvester is offline   Reply With Quote