Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2016, 13:39   #1
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Default ratchet axle stands

How'do folks

i was given a pair of 6000kg ratchet axle stands

does anyone have these? ( i think they are Clarke) reason i ask is i assume the ratchet action is to raise the height(?) - haven't checked these properly but pressing the lever dropped the extension height maybe just been assembled wrong also the wee tabs on the side of the chassis - i assume these should be pressed in? (to avoid over extension)

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 13:57   #2
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Personally, and I mean personally I would never feel safe or trust something with a ratchet - they might be as safe as houses, but I just couldn't do it. Sorry.

As to the operation - not a clue - sorry.
Old 16th January 2016, 14:29   #3
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Trolley jacks used to be clockwork before they became hydraulic, had one of those collapse under due to ratchet slipping under load ..... if you do use them, don't get underneath, I was lucky.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 14:39   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheraton View Post

i was given a pair of 6000kg ratchet axle stands ( i think they are Clarke) reason i ask is i assume the ratchet action is to raise the height(?) - haven't checked these properly but pressing the lever dropped the extension height maybe just been assembled wrong also the wee tabs on the side of the chassis - i assume these should be pressed in? (to avoid over extension)
Like these: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cax-...n-axle-stands/

I'd say there's nothing to worry about. I have similar stands and they're fail safe when latched. The side lever lifts the latch so you can raise the jaws. I'm unsure about the Clarke jaw design, but they (Machine Mart) say these are best sellers. Can't help with the wee tab.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 14:49   #5
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post

I'd say there's nothing to worry about. I have similar stands and they're fail safe when latched. The side lever lifts the latch so you can raise the jaws. I'm unsure about the Clarke jaw design, but they (Machine Mart) say these are best sellers. Can't help with the wee tab.

TC
that's the ones the side lever doesn't seem to lift them tho i'll go have a look at them (still in the car - it's snowing here today - so not using them today ) if they seem suspect i won't use them i wasn't keen on the idea when i seen these ratchet style stands - however at 6000kg load rating they are definitely built to be strong

i had fancied the Melco stands - built in the uk and traditional style

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 14:56   #6
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

The ratchet types should be safe but I personally also would not feel safe going under a car supported with any ratchet, hydraulic or screw type device.

Even with normal pin type axle stands, I use one of these cut into 6 off 400mm lengths as secondary supports. Three blocks stacked on either side of the car give ample working space.

http://www.woodensupplies.co.uk/land...m-x-125mm-p707

I make sure that the car could not drop more than 1-2mm if any of the metal support items should fail. This is emulating oak blocks - as used byTerry Shaw (tsauto) - but at a loower cost and weight.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 15:05   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

If I intend working under a car, I will only use ramps. And sturdy solid ones at that. Some welded angle iron and strip constructions are decidedly hairy! (IMO)

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 16th January 2016 at 15:07..
Old 16th January 2016, 15:07   #8
The Gas Man
Avid contributor

ZT CDTI & ZT V8

Quote:

TC
I've had a pair of these for many years (maybe not the 6 ton version), and they've been fine, but I always leave the trolley jack in place as well.
The Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 15:09   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
If I intend working under a car, I will only use ramps.

TC
I prefer not to be under a car even with ramps without secondary wooden support.

Strange how when I was younger I regularly spent weekends under the car on axle stands (pin type) or ramps. But now, with a family to feed, tend to be a lot more careful.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 17:14   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I prefer not to be under a car even with ramps without secondary wooden support.
Indeed. That's why mine are fabricated from scaffolding walk boards and four inches thick stuff. They weigh more than me! And almost as wide.

TC