Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th December 2020, 16:48   #1
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Default Engine hesitating and losing power

Hi - my car is MGZT-T - Diesel 2ltr 135. Reg KR05YCM - since new. 161K on the clock.

Stuck in Norfolk and noticed a hesitancy when driving along that seems to be intermittent. It comes on as quite severe and can slow down with consistent jerky motion when driving. After pulling into a garage to avoid the string of traffic behind me running the revs and then starting off again it drove normally for the next 5-6 miles.
I'm hoping to drive back to Bedford on Sunday and wondered if there are a few simple things I can try to get this fixed or if someone is available in the North Norfolk area that can help. I'm 5 miles from the coast near Wells Next the Sea.

Recently put the car through MOT and it failed on emissions, corrected with CleanDrive and after a good blast it passed easily. Since then (3 weeks ago) it has been fine, even felt better, until Thursday night on the way to Norfolk when the jerky loss of power started and again today when driving too and from Holt.

Possible options here - fuel blockage/air filter/MAF?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice - Larry

Last edited by larryr123; 4th December 2020 at 17:06..
larryr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 17:01   #2
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr123 View Post
Hi - my car is MGZT-T - Diesel 2ltr 135. Reg KR05YCM - since new. 161K on the clock.

Stuck in Norfolk and noticed a hesitancy when driving along that seems to be intermittent. It comes on as quite severe and can slow down with consistent jerky motion when driving. After pulling into a garage to avoid the string of traffic behind me running the revs and then starting off again it drove normally for the next 5-6 miles.
I'm hoping to drive back to Bedford on Sunday and wondered if there are a few simple things I can try to get this fixed or if someone is available in the North Norfolk area that can help. I'm 5 miles from the coast near Wells Next the Sea.

Recently put the car through MOT and it failed on emissions, corrected with CleanDrive and after a good blast it passed easily. Since then (3 weeks ago) it has been fine, even felt better, until Thursday night on the way to Norfolk when the jerky loss of power started and again today when driving too and from Holt.

It sounds a little like a fuel injector . Iv not had this in my rover but my Freelander ( same engine ) had what you are describing. But without looking ! Hope you get it sorted .
Sorry if I was local I would have had look at it
The fault on the injector on mine caused it to lose pressure to the rest hence common rail they are all on the same rail
Old 4th December 2020, 17:07   #3
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Hi It runs, I see you are from Skelmersdale -- I was born in Ormskirk a few miles from you. Did you change the injector yourself, and was that pretty easy to do?

Regards Larry
Old 4th December 2020, 17:49   #4
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

Yes provided you haven't had a leaky copper washer / seal .
But it's also determining that if it is an injector then which one .
I caught mine badly running and disconnected each injector electronic connection and the one that made no difference was the one .
The other 3 made the engine cut out instantly .
Long strong grips a reasonable socket set 17 mm open ended spanner . Gloves .

Obviously the Rest is down to iether experience or if you are stuck . ,Then it's YouTube .
Do not run your hands over and metal pipes in the thaught of looking for a suspect leak .
The common rail pressure if leaking will do serious damage to you if the engine is running
But it also could be anything else . I'm just suggesting I had a same description issue . I was in ormskirk today
Old 4th December 2020, 17:55   #5
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Trikey lives in Norfolk. Very knowledgeable guy and a trader here, I don't know if you are anywhere near him but send him a PM, he may be able to help you.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 18:22   #6
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Hi Steve, Thanks good point, I've had great feedback from Trikey in the past. Unfortunately he is quite a long way away from the Fakenham area so may not be that practical for either of us.
Another thought occurred to me in that it may be the MAF sensor, either dirty of faulty. Many years ago I failed to remove a dirty air filter and this I assumed caused the MAF to fail with similar jerky loss of power -- frankly I'd forgotten it was so long ago, I've have the beast since 2005.
I'm going to give that a try first thing in the morning, by simply unplugging the MAF sensor plug. I remember that being rather tightly clipped on so I must be careful not to break the clip.
Does this sound like a sensible first step?

Larry
Old 4th December 2020, 18:30   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Still worth sending Andy (trikey) a PM, he may be able to offer more specific advice.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2020, 19:06   #8
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Steve, just sent him a Pm explaining the problem and asking his advice re MAF or otherwise. Thx
Old 4th December 2020, 22:08   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryr123 View Post

First of all, given the weather we've been having, I'd be making sure the ECM isn't swimming in the plenum

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2020, 14:32   #10
larryr123
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Brian, It's a good point, I did though experience the problem briefly before I started driving through all the Norfolk puddles.
Disconnected the MAF this morning and have so far driven over 20 miles without issue, so hopefully it is the source of the problem. I'm ashamed to say my air filter left a lot to be desired, so that'll be changed with a new MAF next week.

Regards Larry