Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th August 2020, 11:08   #21
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

How do I check it for flatness Rich?

Also, what about the 'spring-back test' as mentioned in this video? (play from 3m 30s).

And while I'm on, could a faulty dual mass flywheel cause a clutch judder that's so violent it can stop the engine altogether? Every now and then I get this happen when the front wheels are on half to full lock and the car is pointing slightly uphill (moving off from standstill or at very low road speed)

Edit

I just tried mine on the car. If I rotate it like this (pic) it doesn't spring back at all, it just stays wherever it is when I let go. Does that mean the DMF is screwed?

Last edited by Blink; 14th August 2020 at 13:05..
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2020, 08:47   #22
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Thanks Mike. I tried undoing one of the expensive flywheel to engine bolts (PSK100120) but the initial attempts wouldn't shift it - so I decided not to bother.

Is there anything to be gained by taking the flywheel off anyway, I can't imagine there's anything to inspect that I can't see with it in situ. Or is there?
No, if you aren't going to replace it then leave it in place. As Rich says the only reason for removing it would be to replace a leaking crankshaft oil seal, and if it was leaking you would see evidence of oil behind the flywheel.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2020, 16:29   #23
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm thinking of replacing it just in case it's causing the judder (which I'm no longer willing to tolerate!).
Old 16th August 2020, 13:04   #24
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
Edit

I just tried mine on the car. If I rotate it like this (pic) it doesn't spring back at all, it just stays wherever it is when I let go. Does that mean the DMF is screwed?

Having just read your edit I think it is a good idea to replace it as it should spring back if you move it.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2020, 13:05   #25
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Having just read your edit I think it is a good idea to replace it as it should spring back if you move it.
I've ordered one Mike - post 14 here.
Old 18th August 2020, 09:38   #26
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi Simon.
Have a look at this guy doing a clutch on a 1.8 he should have used an Irwins on that rounded off bolt, just a guide as to what anyone may come across when doing a clutch, also what not to do at times like let clutch fluid spurt all over the place, and inside the footwell, watch or have a look at his other clutch videos, are working guy though real grafter.

https://youtu.be/95NHSdxyG58

PS rattle guns are good but sometimes not in certain jobs ie gearbox refill plug

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 18th August 2020 at 10:23.. Reason: rectification
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2020, 10:30   #27
itcaptainslow
Avid contributor

200Vi & 214 SEi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Yup, from that description the springs in the dual mass flywheel are worn out. Replace.
itcaptainslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2020, 16:23   #28
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Simon.
Have a look at this guy doing a clutch on a 1.8 he should have used an Irwins on that rounded off bolt, just a guide as to what anyone may come across when doing a clutch, also what not to do at times like let clutch fluid spurt all over the place, and inside the footwell, watch or have a look at his other clutch videos, are working guy though real grafter.

https://youtu.be/95NHSdxyG58

PS rattle guns are good but sometimes not in certain jobs ie gearbox refill plug

It's a pretty useful video Steve. He doesn't hang about does he? Definitely a grafter. 1hr 9min is the edited time though - I wonder how long it actually took him.

Not sure what the balaclava & dark glasses are all about.

I see what you mean about the clutch fluid! (51:15). I haven't got to the master cylinder stage yet on my car, in fact I haven't even seen it - I know it'll be fun though (). What's that metal tube/spanner gizmo he's got on the bleed valve (51:43) - never seen one of those before - is it a bleed valve extension?

Btw, he seems to have had a lot more room to get at the gear change cables (44:38) than on my KV6.