Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th August 2020, 21:21   #11
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

I prefer the cotton filter over the vortex, i change mine at least once a year, sometimes twice, it should last about 18months it depends on how your car is looked after.

This is one i change for a local member back in 2015 rock hard so he was lucky to get away with not having a diesel runaway on his hands.

Another one i came across in 2017 these must have been in for at least 2 years without change to get like this.

Look how much it as swollen with gunk imagine that lot going through your engine in the vortex.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 8th August 2020 at 21:24..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2020, 09:28   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post

Look how much it as swollen with gunk imagine that lot going through your engine in the vortex.
The vortex is designed to prevent the muck going into the engine intake though Steve. It is diluted in the oil along with all the other bypass residues and gets removed with every oil change.

The filter was designed to be a separator, and work in exactly the same way as the vortex which is why its replacement wasn't included in the service sheets.

Sadly it didn't actually work like that and over time can get blocked and allow the crankcase to become pressurised.

Surprising how much smoke and vapour goes through the PCV. - I've run the engine at idle with it removed just to check. Nothing much to start with until it gets warmed up.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote