Moodster020
Loves to post

MGZT CDT

One thing the experts have forgotten with electric cars- Heating in winter
Moodster020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 21:24   #12
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodster020 View Post
One thing the experts have forgotten with electric cars- Heating in winter
It has full climate controll

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 07:54   #13
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
It has full climate controll
Which of course is correct!

However, when driving this type of car in the winter with the heater and lights on, it effectively halves the range!

So any journey of over 20 (each way) becomes a gamble on whether you'll actually make it home!

So as I stated earlier, these cars are a dead end and my money is still on hydrogen fuel cells, long term!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 18:59   #14
Moodster020
Loves to post

MGZT CDT

One thing i reckon might be worthy of development (if they haven't already looked into it) is to to a combination car, like a Diesel-Electric (this isnt new though, most diesel freight locomotives & diesel submarines run this technology)
Use the battery to move in the stop-go traffic jams or round town, braking to charge the battery up & when the battery gets low- diesel charges it up too. Engine takes over on runs/ motorways, etc.

Moodster020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 19:06   #15
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodster020 View Post
One thing i reckon might be worthy of development (if they haven't already looked into it) is to to a combination car, like a Diesel-Electric (this isnt new though, most diesel freight locomotives & diesel submarines run this technology)
Use the battery to move in the stop-go traffic jams or round town, braking to charge the battery up & when the battery gets low- diesel charges it up too. Engine takes over on runs/ motorways, etc.

MGR had a development hybrid MGF.
The electric motor was housed in the front of the car and offered 4 wheel drive.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/co...d-mgf-revealed

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 23:42   #16
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
Which of course is correct!

However, when driving this type of car in the winter with the heater and lights on, it effectively halves the range!

So any journey of over 20 (each way) becomes a gamble on whether you'll actually make it home!

So as I stated earlier, these cars are a dead end and my money is still on hydrogen fuel cells, long term!
I may be wrong but I'm certain it has a normal battery for the usual electrics, radio wipers heater etc and the battery pack specifically for movement. I should really know more about it but seeing as its just on loan it's just getting driven

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 08:14   #17
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I may be wrong but I'm certain it has a normal battery for the usual electrics, radio wipers heater etc and the battery pack specifically for movement. I should really know more about it but seeing as its just on loan it's just getting driven
You may find this of interest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nissan Leaf Range.jpg (68.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 9th July 2013, 09:24   #18
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Had the opportunity to test drive a Renault Zoe on one of my trips back in France. The way Renault are proposing their Zero Emissions (ZE) vehicles here is as follows:
- The car's initial price is in the 20000 Euros
- There is a tax cut of 7000 Euros incentive from the government in France to encourage the ZE cars activity. The price drops then to 13000 Euros approx.
- The battery is not included in the price of the car. It's a rental instead for 300 to 400 Euros per month. For this price, the battery has a lifetime warranty and gets to be replaced for "free" as any sign of defect or trouble.
- Renault provides free power derivation into the main switchboard of your building if you live in a building. You would have to pay for the connection from the electrical derivation board to the socket in front of your car (one time cost of 1200 Euros). If you have a private house, Renault provide the derivation and socket for free.
- Renault advises that the owner would make a monthly subscription to the city's "shared electrical vehicles" service if you happen to live in a city where this service is available (Autolib in Paris for example...) this montly fee of 400 Euros would allow you to charge the car onto one of the places for electrical vehicles for free for 2 hours during the day and 4 hours during the night. Additional time on the charger comes with extra fees. This service is useful if you drive a lot around town and need a top up charge now and then, or if you do not have a private parking. It is not mandatory.
- For a month every year, Renault provides "free of charge" - excuse the pun) a Megane model to go on vacation...
We were considering the Zoe as a possible replacement for my wife's aging Wagon R Suzuki. The costs incurred for the Zoe were (taking off the monthly street top up service and the one time socket cost) 150 Euros less than running a new Petrol fueled town car...
The Zoe had a 140 km range in the best of conditions. When we tested it (snowy March), with the lights and heater on, the range quickly dropped to 90 km... which is what repelled us most. Otherwise, it was a very nice and smooth car to drive.
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 10:25   #19
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by majedm75 View Post
The Zoe had a 140 km range in the best of conditions. When we tested it (snowy March), with the lights and heater on, the range quickly dropped to 90 km... which is what repelled us most.
As I posted earlier, this is the biggest problem with these cars!

For you only to be able to travel 20 miles (or less) in the winter, before having to start to worry whether you're going to make it home again, just makes them an expensive toy!

Plus, when snow hits the ground in this Country, it's not uncommon to be stuck in massive jams and I have to say that I wouldn't be brave enough to leave home in one, in those conditions!
Old 9th July 2013, 12:22   #20
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Forgot to add above: most of the electricity in France is from nuclear origin. This tends to lower the consumption bill a little, however the French gov. just announced a 5% increase on electricity rates.

One electrical car that is drawing the crowds and seems promising is the Tesla Model S. The low end model promises 208 miles of range while the high end model goes 285 miles (http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/performance).
The price difference is steep however between these two variations of the car. However, Tesla offers (in the USA) what they call supercharging (http://www.teslamotors.com/charging). Tesla is building progressively charging stations along the highways and in key areas superchargers capable of recharging the battery at a very fast pace. The high end (Performance) model benefits of free charging on these devices while other models must pay...
Moreover, Tesla shall propose also (in addition to the above supercharging stations and probably at the same locations) relay stations where the car battery would automatically be swapped in less than 3 minutes (for a certain fee) with a fully recharged one. Now Renault and Nissan have been testing this solution for a while in Denmark and Israel and failed to bring it to the main public while it seemed very promising (their partner company "Better Place" went bankrupt as I heard). Tesla on the other hand may succeed in this technology and their approach, making the electrical car worth considering (if it wasn't for the BIG price tag).
For those who do not know it yet, Tesla is headed by Elon Musk, the man who was behind Paypal, before selling it for millions to E-Bay.
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote