Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th July 2013, 17:53   #1
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default Nissan Leaf

I've had the pleasure of a Nissan Leaf for almost a week now. I wasn't sure what my thoughts on a 100% electric car with zero emissions would be or what to expect. The car has discs all round, keyless entry, sat nav, Bluetooth, electric hand brake etc.......... It takes around 12 hours for a full 'slow' charge which equates to about 100 miles and costs around £1.20 ish. 100 miles may not sound much but the school run and running to work equals a charge every other day. If you think about it a diesel will do around 500 miles to approx £80 - if you don't need to do 500 miles in one go the Leaf will cost £6, makes you think doesn't it the car is extremely smooth a you would expect with no gear changes and is as quick as a modern day 1.4 diesel. The only real downside that I Can find is that the car is silent so you need to pay attention to people stepping out in front of you as your not heard. I'm not sure if this is the future of motoring but its definitely a step forward imho. If you ever get the chance to have a go you will be impressed

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 18:47   #2
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts

I am impressed with the technology, just range is too small for me, my parents live 150 miles away, a 12 hour stop so I could get there is unrealistic.
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 19:41   #3
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Certainly issues with longer distances, more suited for local routes. I believe the rapid chargers charge in around 3 hours though. Also when you brake or go down hill the battery is topped up slightly by regenerative braking, all very clever

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 20:30   #4
dattrike
Posted a thing or two

V6 2ltr auto in copperleaf +CDTI Auto in Royal Blue on loan to Son

My son works for Ecotricity in Stroud, they have a fleet of them,
he had the use of one for a week. I never drove it, but he took me out in it,
I was impressed with the acceleration and speed of it, even the
interior was fairly good. Only issue is battery life and replacement
I think he said about £6000 to replace.

Old 4th July 2013, 20:36   #5
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

If the electricity was coming from Nuclear powered Power Stations, then they would make sense, but as we are STILL burning fossil fuels to generate electricity, they make no sense whatsoever!

The time it also takes to "re-fill" them is still an issue for most people, if you ever had to go on a slightly longer journey as well!

The only "Real" way forward for cars, is the Hydrogen fuel cell route as seen here http://automobiles.honda.com/fcx-clarity/ electric cars are a dead end!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 21:29   #6
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

Yes the concept of these cars is good, albeit the short range etc. but they are hardly a runabout at €33,000 are they?? A Dacia Sandero costs just short of €10,000 over here for the diesel model, so you're gonna be a long time making up the €23,000 cost difference if all you want is a car for about town or to nip down the shops, which less face it is all the Leaf can do

In my own mind until we see a vast improvement in the range and the price drops dramatically to the levels of the ordinary runabout hatchbacks now they will remain a fashion statement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it! Electric is the future & I whilst I would love one for our family to replace the missus car and keep the 75 for long distance travel, I'm just not ready to fork out nearly a years salary for a nip-down-the-shops car

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile

Last edited by bongi69; 4th July 2013 at 21:31..
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 22:13   #7
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

One of these looks like quite good fun, a Zero S
A read a road test, about a year ago, and it had quite respectable performance.

I must agree with Mr. D's comments though.
Although these electric vehicles are described as zero emissions, I drive past Didcot Power Station on a regular basis, burning about 5 million tonnes of coal a year, to produce electricity.

Let the good times roll............

Last edited by Dorset Bob; 4th July 2013 at 22:19..
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 07:06   #8
bongi69
Gets stuck in

75 Connoissuer 2.0 CDT AKA Josie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post

I must agree with Mr. D's comments though.
Although these electric vehicles are described as zero emissions, I drive past Didcot Power Station on a regular basis, burning about 5 million tonnes of coal a year, to produce electricity.
There is also the issue of end of life batteries. The emissions expended making them in the first place, shipping to assembly, shipping back to a recycling plant and then the energy used by the plant to process the dangerous chemicals within erodes away at the savings made by the car

Recent stats from my euro road trip: 1605 miles driven through 5 different countries, 160.7 litres of diesel used giving an MPG of 47.1. Total diesel cost €222, €0.13 per mile
bongi69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 08:10   #9
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Driven one , quite good space inside nice , comfy , quiet ..
handles well due to the large dollop of weight in the middle ( not me! )

But very expensive, range for round our rural area, pretty useless.
Couldn't even make a Nano in one !!

Nowhere to charge if you haven't got a drive or garage.

And the battery, after about 3 years .. you may need a new one ..
ouch!! @ many thousands ! ( the battery tech is just not good enough yet! )

And the carbon footprint of the battery during its manufacturing ..
o' Dear!! tends to rather outweigh the whole concept .
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 5th July 2013 at 08:12..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2013, 09:46   #10
GT Courier
I really should get out more.......

Billy No Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongi69 View Post
Yes the concept of these cars is good, albeit the short range etc. but they are hardly a runabout at €33,000 are they?? A Dacia Sandero costs just short of €10,000 over here for the diesel model, so you're gonna be a long time making up the €23,000 cost difference if all you want is a car for about town or to nip down the shops, which less face it is all the Leaf can do

In my own mind until we see a vast improvement in the range and the price drops dramatically to the levels of the ordinary runabout hatchbacks now they will remain a fashion statement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it! Electric is the future & I whilst I would love one for our family to replace the missus car and keep the 75 for long distance travel, I'm just not ready to fork out nearly a years salary for a nip-down-the-shops car
It is quite expensive as above, from a cost point of view all your savings are completely out of the window, and what happens when the battery pack goes belly up? I bet that isn't cheap to sort out when it gets older, factor in depreciation etc and it makes no sense at all on the financial side,

As for the environmental side, I don't know if it is actually greener either! Maybe it is but not by much I dare say if at all...

In true Family Fortunes style - 'Our survey says...'
GT Courier is offline   Reply With Quote