Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 14th August 2020, 15:52   #322
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Out of interest. What are people's views on those who go around coughing and sneezing without covering their mouth and nose with a hanky, sleeve or hand?

Personally I always cover my mouth if I sneeze or cough on the understanding that it helps prevent me spreading my germs. I was taught that by my parents and I've imparted it to my waens also. Am I wrong to have brought them up this way, should I teach granddaughter just to sneeze and cough without covering her mouth and nose?
It's just basic elementary good manners. It's meant to be applied to all human contact and behaviour. Like elbows off tables. Food eaten with cutlery and absolutely none eaten in the hand. There doesn't seem to be any human behaviour that hasn't taken massive backward steps in latter years. We still get waiters' thumbs in the soup, public spitting - and as for language...
Old 14th August 2020, 16:19   #323
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

One could always follow the independent Sage advice on masks:

https://www.independentsage.org/wp-c...INGS-FINAL.pdf
Old 14th August 2020, 17:13   #324
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

I'm prepared to listen to sound advice from respected quarters that are trusted to tell nothing but the truth. I'm not interested in blandishments from feeble wind-up-and-go puppets from Central Casting.

There is simply nobody in government or any of the institutions that I would trust with my well-being and I don't think I'm being unreasonable. When so many alternative so-called action plans, that's a joke on us, they are in fact the latest knee-jerk reaction, emerge with alarming regularity and immediately following suspect figures that we know can be very wrong and multi-faceted it's a matter of believability. Well, they haven't earned that privilege.

That's not to say I don't take reasonable precautions to safeguard myself and family. There's well-meaning and then there's incompetence, there's nowt in between. That's not our fault, we are badly served.

A shop cashier, happened today, gives me several coins as change including three one pound coins that the previous customer bought something with. Sanitisation has many starting points with even more infections. What the heck are we supposed to do? Self sanitise every coin?
Old 14th August 2020, 18:12   #325
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
I'm prepared to listen to sound advice from respected quarters that are trusted to tell nothing but the truth. I'm not interested in blandishments from feeble wind-up-and-go puppets from Central Casting.

There is simply nobody in government or any of the institutions that I would trust with my well-being and I don't think I'm being unreasonable. When so many alternative so-called action plans, that's a joke on us, they are in fact the latest knee-jerk reaction, emerge with alarming regularity and immediately following suspect figures that we know can be very wrong and multi-faceted it's a matter of believability. Well, they haven't earned that privilege.

That's not to say I don't take reasonable precautions to safeguard myself and family. There's well-meaning and then there's incompetence, there's nowt in between. That's not our fault, we are badly served.

A shop cashier, happened today, gives me several coins as change including three one pound coins that the previous customer bought something with. Sanitisation has many starting points with even more infections. What the heck are we supposed to do? Self sanitise every coin?

This is where the argument of reduction in cash handling can have benefits to all.........where in fact all that is required is to wash your hands after handling something that is handled by another.

The arguments against cash are in reality complete nonsense, the items being purchased have been handled by others, everything about life carries risks attached, the sensible will mitigate those risks posed to themselves, by simple procedures.

False senses of security and poor hygiene, and incorrect usage of PPE will defeat the object of the exercise.

I'm in full agreement, the current kneejerk reaction to each and every situation being examined in excruciating minutiae is absolutely ridiculous, and to be treated as imbeciles by those making the decisions on our behalf is patronising in the extreme.
Old 15th August 2020, 11:35   #326
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

There are so many appalling things about this entire fiasco Clive. How can there be any confidence in anything put out by HMGov when as each week goes by yet another revelation shows a different strategy being needed.
In today’s paper:

compared to the number of deaths from Covid, and even allowing for the false total due to the dying with versus dying of the virus, there are 5 times as many deaths from flu and pneumonia:

there are 17 new cases per every 100,000 people in UK over the last two weeks (Luxembourg being seven times higher:

for every 20,000 people in England over 75 in the week up to 4/8 there has been one, yes one, death. That is in the so-called highest risk sector:

there have been no teachers proven to have caught Covid from a pupil in the world.

I could go on but there seems little point! There’s none so blind as those who refuse to see!
Old 15th August 2020, 16:45   #327
Borg Warner

None

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...156.html%3famp

I suspect there is a lot more to this story than the KGB owned Independent is saying.
Old 16th August 2020, 20:38   #328
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

So, we now await the announcement of impending promotions of erstwhile directors. Lords?
Old 17th August 2020, 05:57   #329
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Promotion of some, as usual. Lords? why not?
Degradation of the sheeple. Serfs? What else.

The dystopian future you leave to your kids should make you think.

Sadly we seem to be past the point of no return for many.

The people that once brought about Magna Carta, now cannot resist a bunch of Marxist career criminals.

How depressing.
Old 17th August 2020, 10:44   #330
Borg Warner

None

Been reading through the Department of Health's UK Influenza Pandemic Preparedness Strategy 2011. Makes very interesting reading, here are a few choice points folks may be interested in:

Planning assumptions for a future influenza pandemic

2.2 Pandemic influenza occurs when an influenza A virus subtype emerges or re-emerges which is markedly different from recently circulating strains. Therefore, it is able to spread widely because few, if any, (and then mainly older) people have natural or acquired immunity to it. It is readily transmissible from person to person and capable of causing illness in a large proportion of those infected.

Facemasks and respirators

4.13 Facemasks, or surgical masks, are primarily designed to protect the environment from particles expelled by the wearer. If fitted properly, and used and changed in accordance with manufacturers instructions, they provide a physical barrier to large droplets but will not provide full respiratory protection against smaller particles such as aerosols.

4.15 Although there is a perception that the wearing of facemasks by the public in the community and household setting may be beneficial, there is in fact very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use in this setting. Facemasks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly, disposed of safely and used in combination with good respiratory, hand, and home hygiene behaviour in order for them to achieve the intended benefit. Research also shows that compliance with these recommended behaviours when wearing facemasks for prolonged periods reduces over time.

International travel, border restrictions and screening

4.18 The Foreign and Commonwealth Office will issue advice regarding travel to affected countries. There are no plans to attempt to close borders in the event of an influenza pandemic. The UK generally has a high level of international connectivity, and so is likely to be one of the earlier countries to receive infectious individuals. Modelling suggests that imposing a 90% restriction on all air travel to the UK at the point a pandemic emerges would only delay the peak of a pandemic wave by one to two weeks. Even a 99.9% travel restriction might delay a pandemic wave by only two months. During 2009 it became clear that the pandemic virus had already spread widely before international authorities were alerted, suggesting that in any case the point of pandemic emergence had been missed by several weeks. The economic, political and social consequences of border closures would also be very substantial, including risks to the secure supply of food, pharmaceuticals and other supplies.

Restrictions on public gatherings and public transport

4.21 There is very limited evidence that restrictions on mass gatherings will have any significant effect on influenza virus transmission. Large public gatherings or crowded events where people may be in close proximity are an important indicator of ‘normality’ and may help maintain public morale during a pandemic. The social and economic consequences of advising cancellation or postponement of large gatherings are likely to be considerable for event organisers, contributors and participants. There is also a lack of scientific evidence on the impact of internal travel restrictions on transmission and attempts to impose such restrictions would have wide-reaching implications for business and welfare.

4.22 For these reasons, the working presumption will be that Government will not impose any such restrictions. The emphasis will instead be on encouraging all those who have symptoms to follow the advice to stay at home and avoid spreading their illness. However, local organisers may decide to cancel or postpone events in a pandemic fearing economic loss through poor attendances, and the public themselves may decide not to mix in crowds, or use public transport if other options are available.

Last edited by Borg Warner; 17th August 2020 at 11:06..
Closed Thread