Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st August 2020, 13:53   #11
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I have been shopping today in Witney in Oxfordshire and apart from face masks being worn by some on the streets you would not know anything was different to normal. Youths sitting out side a pub drinking ( no social distancing there) and it was almost impossible to keep safe distance in the shops they were so packed.

If I could get a slot I would get my shopping delivered until this is all over.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2020, 15:39   #12
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
Well my shielding has finished today. Can't see me going very far though, diy place for some timber may be? Perhaps a visit to Lakenheath to watch the Liberty F15s or a drive to a quiet bit of East Anglia coast would be nice.

Unlike some I will be applying a sensible, considerate and caring approach to how I move on during this difficult time.
Cannot say I blame you, I am currently shopping for our neighbours who are both over 75. They have asked if I would continue to do so through August. It's not a problem.

People will need to feel safe when they go out and I can see in their eyes they are very uncomfortable about the whole situation still.

Staysafe
D...

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:03   #13
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I live in one of the affected arears and I think it was expected to happen. Some are blaming certain religious festivals for it being introduced and I have seen myself blatant disregards of the new rules linked to this. But I have also seen far more disregard mainly by younger people in pubs, on the street, shops etc. totally ignoring the advice. The news pictures from Manchester yesterday showed this quite clearly. The number of young women in shops with masks on their chins with mouth and nose uncovered is amazing.

I have been away for a few days holiday to the coast and the total lack of adherence to social distancing was appalling so I kept out of the town (Whitby) after I went down for fish and chips on arrival. The evidence I see is that a large percentage of the UK population do not give a fig about the situation and are just totally selfish, with a me first attitude. As my son says normal human nature will always prevail. Only when it comes home to roost and someone close becomes very ill will they change and then probably blame everyone else.

I have read today that they are considering closing pubs again and especially to enable schools to reopen in September to balance out the risks. They are also considering a London lockdown within the M25. No travel in or out and all over 50s having to go into full isolation.

Is this just talk to get people to behave or giving a bit more warning to the capitol after no warning for the north? If it is put into place it may be the wake up to get the message over, we are all in this together and we all need to play our part.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 11:39   #14
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
I live in one of the affected arears and I think it was expected to happen. Some are blaming certain religious festivals for it being introduced and I have seen myself blatant disregards of the new rules linked to this. But I have also seen far more disregard mainly by younger people in pubs, on the street, shops etc. totally ignoring the advice. The news pictures from Manchester yesterday showed this quite clearly. The number of young women in shops with masks on their chins with mouth and nose uncovered is amazing.

I have been away for a few days holiday to the coast and the total lack of adherence to social distancing was appalling so I kept out of the town (Whitby) after I went down for fish and chips on arrival. The evidence I see is that a large percentage of the UK population do not give a fig about the situation and are just totally selfish, with a me first attitude. As my son says normal human nature will always prevail. Only when it comes home to roost and someone close becomes very ill will they change and then probably blame everyone else.

I have read today that they are considering closing pubs again and especially to enable schools to reopen in September to balance out the risks. They are also considering a London lockdown within the M25. No travel in or out and all over 50s having to go into full isolation.

Is this just talk to get people to behave or giving a bit more warning to the capitol after no warning for the north? If it is put into place it may be the wake up to get the message over, we are all in this together and we all need to play our part.
I have seen that so many times in shops, people with"chin masks". I must admit I went to the pub last night with 3 friends but we all sat outside at the same table and away from others. All of us have been following the guidelines up until sitting at the same table. Also you sre right about the "self entitlement" attitude.
Im on holiday next week and want to go to the beach but not going to anywhere that has no safe space.
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:10   #15
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

As ever was, a complex situation is being described as having one root cause.

The reality is nothing in the public attitude will change until the widespread cynicism of anything the government says, or insists on, is resolved. There are apparently authoritative sources pointing out major faults to do with figures (the abuse of) and supposed remedies (more twists than a long bolt).

When the government loses control, as seen by the mass ridicule of the various diversionary demos and protest groups, the anarchy can only grow. They've lost it and are panicking.

The latest bunch of rebels without a cause, Forever Family Force are, in fact, no better than urban terrorists who see a fault line to exploit. All in the face of a castrated police 'force'.
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:13   #16
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Was in our local Morrisons yesterday. My daughter commented that she was surprised at the number of older people wearing face masks with them pulled down so that their noses were not covered.

That being said it's good to see the vast majority of people of all ages wearing face coverings and trying to do their bit.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:28   #17
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Over fifties in total lockdown? well that's the majority on here, myself included knackered then !!

I'm sufficiently cognisant to recognise the requirements of our healthcare system not being overcome with covid19 patients, however at no point was the NHS overwhelmed, far from it.

Now comes the crunch, I've no intention whatsoever of hiding in the house, why on earth would anyone want to do that for heavens sake??

I'm in a position where my income is fixed, however the remainder of my life will not be spent in fear of covid19.

This is not a selfish, but a pragmatic view, without the hysteria being attached to the entire covid pandemic, yes it has the capability of killing, but it also has the capability of presenting as nothing more than a mild cold, or even not at all.

Many people who have been exposed to other coronavirus in the past, have an amount of inbuilt immunity to this one, if you catch a cold and it is always "man flu" then you are likely to do badly in contact with covid19.

If you work through the average cold without issues, then you will likely do the same with covid19.

You have to love the small touches though, closing pubs so schools can reopen, what on earth are they worried about? I'm sure the average teenager can still find an adult to buy a bottle of White Lightning cider and find a bus shelter to hang out with their mates, even if the pubs are open.

I've been around on this planet long enough to make decisions that are likely not to have a poor impact on those I love, and the fellow citizens I share the planet with......it is the helter skelter panic and handwringing that goes along with it, which is most detrimental to life.

Chris
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:37   #18
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Was in our local Morrisons yesterday. My daughter commented that she was surprised at the number of older people wearing face masks with them pulled down so that their noses were not covered.

That being said it's good to see the vast majority of people of all ages wearing face coverings and trying to do their bit.

This sort of thing Simon?
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2020, 15:59   #19
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I agree, to accuse those of independent view of arrogance and/or ignorance is just a bit self-defeating.

I walk three miles every day and cross two main arterial roads to do it. Those two crossings are controlled by lights which means several seconds, even minutes, stationary and breathing poison from their bowels. Try blowing your nose after that to see the effect!

Been doing that for 15 years now so the amount of absolute rubbish from the fleets of 24/36 wheeled foreign diesel trucks I breath every day must be a hugely greater health risk than a dose of the flu.

There are hundreds more annual deaths from smoking, drinking, and doing stupid things but they have been put aside and left to develop into very serious condition to concentrate on an outbreak of flu.

There is a huge disaffection and pointed lack of focus on primary health matters being ignored here and you can't blame so many for saying 'up yours matey'. Appointments with GP's are now at 7% of pre-Corona outbreak! Dentists are largely only doing private work and applying to one as a prospective NHS patient is impossible. We are being led up the proverbial garden path.
Old 2nd August 2020, 18:32   #20
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADO282 View Post
I'm sufficiently cognisant to recognise the requirements of our healthcare system not being overcome with covid19 patients, however at no point was the NHS overwhelmed, far from it.
Only because they effectively 'cheated' by stopping all the other things that the NHS needed to be doing.

Which means lots of other health problems coming down the line due to delayed treatment, lack of cancer diagnosis etc. More of this would not be good.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote