Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th December 2019, 17:01   #1
euro44
Avid contributor

mg zt-t 226th made from total of 396

Default defunct radio /unknown system

Hi everyone, since obtaining my zt-t+ I have working reversing cameras showing view behind the beast when reverse engaged, working satnav, and single disc player that works well. what I would like is a working radio. The car has a shark fin ( presumably non standard ) aerial on the rear roof with a short piece of cable sticking out of a hole to the rear of it. This incidentally provides a wonderful rain entry point which plays havoc with the electrics unless I keep sealing it up. I would greatly appreciate help identifying the make of this unit ( photo hopefully attached ) and how to 1. get the radio to work, 2. stop the water entry. permanently. many thanks all. http://www.flickr.com/photos/186192388@N05/
euro44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2019, 17:56   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Looks like either a Wince unit or an android. The sharks fin is probably DAB, might be best removing it and sealing the hole. The normal aerial on a tourer is I believe, in the side window, reconnect that and see if the radio works. Alternatively, remove the whole unit and fit an upgraded one.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2019, 18:13   #3
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

It appears to be an Xtrons android unit... First thing to check is that the aerial is actually attached to the back of the unit. It's straightforward to remove and check.

Unclip the trim underneath the overhanging lip and remove the screws allowing it to be removed. Once this is clear you will see two screws at the top outside edges of the unit. Undo these and then the unit can be withdrawn and you can check connections. It will take some careful placing of the leads to refit fully into the dash but replacement is just reversal of removal.
Other than this it could be the aerial amplifier or of course that the lead isn't connected at the aerial end.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2019, 10:41   #4
euro44
Avid contributor

thanks gentlemen, looks like some trim dismantling will be required to at least start diagnosing the problem, so will post progress .
Old 8th January 2020, 20:16   #5
euro44
Avid contributor

not much of an update but have managed to remove the sharkfin without total destruction of the headlining. it wasn't connected to any of the multitude of wires crawling under the roof panel but did a good job of letting water in, curse it. have made a temp. repair to stop the water ingress, dried out the affected areas, and will start working out the point of all these wires,lol. I think at sometime in the dim and distant past a previous owner had broken into the sharkfin circuit and connected a magnetic aerial. this had rusted away due to poor waterproofing. they then replaced that with a interior windscreen one. will remove the fascia and see if this is actually connected to anything, so will keep anyone interested in this bizarre tale, updated soon.
Old 8th January 2020, 20:35   #6
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Tourers originally fitted with high line had a shark fin at the back of the roof, this was for the sat nav. The radio as Ronnie says used the side window as the aerial and the TV used the other window
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2020, 20:36   #7
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Forgot to mention, if it was a factory fit, the hole in the roof would be square
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2020, 20:49   #8
euro44
Avid contributor

Hi, thanks for the replies. The sharkfin was a factory fit I think as it has a square hole that's been painted in with the body colour, however the reason I think its been messed with is another small hole drilled behind the square one that had a thin black wire carried up into the sharkfin that was attached to a very rusty and broken magnetic aerial. this fell to pieces when I touched it,lol.
Old 18th January 2020, 13:36   #9
Ps3000
Gets stuck in

None at moment

Looks as if you have a car which had highline ICE originally - so originally the aerial connection would have run to a box near the spare wheel under the floor of the load area.

What the person who fitted the radio you have should have done is run an extension aerial cable to the new radio headunit at the front of the car.
Ps3000 is offline   Reply With Quote