Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2009, 16:06   #1
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Default Coil spring breakage worrying details?Update

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from my initial thread "near Death experience" members may now be aware that I have ended my relationship with Rover after many years after complete loss of confidence in vehicle suspension.But that hasn't prevented me from attempting to investigate amount and speed of other failures.

Just to update

I recently had mail from a Rover 75 driver to say that even with protectors fitted he had the experience of a the broken spring that still managed to spiral down and instantly rip tyre and jam steering(At 20mph his car was flung across the road with airbags inflating on kerb impact)......chats with past Rover dealers would indicate that has also been the the case in the past with Rovers they have handled......this problem is now affecting Saab's,Renault and Fords (type in "Broken coil Spring and check web).

If and I say IF protectors do NOT prevent spring from ripping tyre then I am extremely glad to have made the decision I did even though I still miss my 75!!
personally would strongly urge Rover 75 members to source springs with known characteristics and reliability??

The one piece of information that I cannot discover is just how many Rover 75 drivers did not manage to get to a service station and what injuries may have been inflicted?

members are still adding to original thread so the problem is still occurring,and it is defiantly affecting all cars across the time scale.
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 16:11   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

One of the biggest Spring Failures lately is on Mercedes according to both Dealers and Press reports.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 16:20   #3
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Well nothing like a bit of drama for a sunday afternoon........
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 16:22   #4
Corwen
Loves to post

ROVER 75 CLUB SE 1.8

we as myself love and enjoy our r 75, i could not at presant time see me driving any other car, but im not the only one to travel in the car, the wife and me normaly have at least one of the grandkids traveling with us , and there safty comes first, so i need to know what coils to fit, can anyone point me in the right direction,
Corwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 16:32   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I think you will also find, as reported recently,
this is a problem for most makes, some with resultant serious consequences some not.
Rover are not alone and it would be wrong to indicate or suggest otherwise.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 19:17   #6
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

To a degree the OP is correct the oem protector is a puny effort when compared to the full basket some other manufacturers are fitting to cars with the same fault

Having suffered a major blow out following a spring failure on my 75 saloon I see the protectors as better than nothing, no more.

We simply don't have evidence of anyone coming to harm as a result of a failure directly attributable to a spring failure so they can't be that common
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 19:27   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwen View Post
- - - - I need to know what coils to fit, can anyone point me in the right direction, - - -
Read this, it has the details: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=30700

Only jokin'!
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 19:50   #8
garry62be
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5l

Smile plate

i also have fitted the protectors on the springs,when talking to my mechanic we have thought about adding another 2ins plate welded to the protectors on tyre side of them as can see no other option at moment.
garry62be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 20:06   #9
stuart080973
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE Auto 2000 2.5L V6 British Racing Green

My Father has been a Mechanic for many years, i asked about the Spring problem, and his answer was how many rover 75 MG ZT have been built and then take into account how many have had springs go. In most cases some thing has happend to the car. ie gone into a hole hard or mounted a kerb. Remember thats a lot of weight and comprestion on one spring when you do that. He quite clearly said all cars springs go from time to time, as we are all Rover 75 or MG ZT owners it looks like there is a lot, but infact its about the same for all cars. This is one of the reasons we have MOT's is to find these problems before the happen.
Old 5th January 2009, 09:17   #10
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

The O'Meegur is now on it's third set of front springs in 109,000 miles. Goes to show it's not just a MGR issue.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote