Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th January 2019, 17:09   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default what would be the fuse rating for

what would be the fuse rating for fuses :-
5 permanent live Accessories socket
6 switched live Accessories socket
22 switched live Towing accessories switched live

This is a facelift fuse box

My owners manual tells me what the fuse position serves but not the fuse rating and I dont want to draw more current then.... that's a point,
is the fuse box live side, a buzz bar or wires?
I don't want to draw more current then the wires can handle but if its a buzz bar, it will handle the current draw.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 18:06   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The fuse rating is determined by the wattage of the accessories you intend to run in each socket. You also need to know how many of these accessories will possibly be running at the same time. Unless I misunderstand, it looks like you have potentially 33 accessories running together.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 18:37   #3
cbr1100xx
Gets stuck in

VW touareg

Or it could be the fuse location numbers
Old 10th January 2019, 20:02   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The fuse rating is determined by the wattage of the accessories you intend to run in each socket. You also need to know how many of these accessories will possibly be running at the same time. Unless I misunderstand, it looks like you have potentially 33 accessories running together.

TC
yes you misunderstood. I am ok with the right size fuse for the item I'm powering.
I wanted to know how much current the wires on the live side of these fuse positions can handle.
for example, if I charge the Rover torch the current draw is 3am (figure plucked from the air) the live wire can handle 3 amps but if I power my caravan fridge or lights I could be drawing 14 amps. Can the live wire to the fuse position handle 14 amps? I did have a thought, is the live side powered by a buzz bar or a wire?

macafee2
Old 10th January 2019, 21:04   #5
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

In the OE set up, the accessory socket is fed from a 20amp fuse. The towing circuit is from a 50amp fuse in the engine fuse panel, which is then split - the ignition controlled circuit is switched by a relay, the coil fed from a 5amp fuse in the passenger fuse panel, which switches the circuit to the trailer with a 20amp fuse - and the direct battery feed to the trailer is by a 10amp fuse. The two trailer feed 10 & 20 amp fuses are not in the fuse panel but part of the towing kit.

Last edited by raykay; 10th January 2019 at 21:18..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 06:58   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
In the OE set up, the accessory socket is fed from a 20amp fuse. The towing circuit is from a 50amp fuse in the engine fuse panel, which is then split - the ignition controlled circuit is switched by a relay, the coil fed from a 5amp fuse in the passenger fuse panel, which switches the circuit to the trailer with a 20amp fuse - and the direct battery feed to the trailer is by a 10amp fuse. The two trailer feed 10 & 20 amp fuses are not in the fuse panel but part of the towing kit.
don't fully understand.
fuses 5 and 6 are fed by a 20 amp fuse? Is that 20 amp fuse for each fuse location or one fuse protecting both?

fuse 22 towing accessory is protected by what size fuse? 50 amp from engine bay?

macafee2
Old 11th January 2019, 08:00   #7
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

In the OE setup, both the accessory socket and the towing kit are optional extras.

The accessory socket kit has two feeds from the passenger fuse panel (5 & 6), a direct feed, and an ignition controlled feed, fuse 6 , and the direct feed, fuse 5, is the power for the socket and a 20amp fuse. The ignition feed 5amp fuse is for the coil of the relay for the rechargeable torch circuit. The wiring for the rechargeable torch is part of the accessory socket wiring kit - the torch is not unfortunately!!

The power for the towing kit is a from a 50amp fuse in the engine fuse panel, the fuse in the passenger fuse panel (22) is 5amp and is an ignition switch feed for the relay in that towing kit.

Last edited by raykay; 11th January 2019 at 12:10..
Old 11th January 2019, 08:24   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
In the OE setup, both the accessory socket (there is only one) and the towing kit are optional extras.
The accessory socket kit is fed from a 20amp fuse in the passenger fuse panel .
The power for the towing kit is a from a 50amp fuse in the engine fuse panel, the fuse in the passenger fuse panel is 5amp and is an ignition switch feed for the relay in that towing kit.
are we talking at cross purposes?
according to my handbook there are two accessory socket fuses, fuse positions 5 and 6.
5 amp fuse for relay, is this the towing accessory, fuse position 22 ?

macafee2
Old 11th January 2019, 09:06   #9
raykay

Now Other Manufacturer

In the OE setup, both the accessory socket kit wiring and towing kit wiring incorporate ignition switch controlled relays, the coils of those relays are fed from 5amp fuses in the passenger fuse panel - 6 for the accessory torch, 22 for the towing kit.

Last edited by raykay; 11th January 2019 at 11:15..