Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th November 2018, 08:46   #1
ianM
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5L V6 Saloon; Rover 214i

Default Replacing CD drive in a Navall - how to?

Hi guys,

After eighteen months of seemingly non-stop false promises and "we're waiting on another shipment" from Radioguy, I'm finally having to face the truth that the promised "replacement" is never coming, and I'm just going to have to try and fix the CD/DVD drive on my Navall myself.

It's probably a familiar story for some of you. I plugged the shiny new Navall into the electrics, tested it, and everything was fine. I put it in the car properly, put a CD in for the very first time, and it's now been refusing to eject this CD for 18 months. As such, I get the impression I'm probably going to have to change the CD/DVD drive myself, and I was just wondering if anyone has done this before, or if there's a specific type of replacement drive I need to be looking to buy (beyond just a generic front loader).

Thanks in advance - but I have to say, if he isn't banned already, I don't think Radioguy should be allowed to sell anything else through this forum after the "service" I've received. I wouldn't want anyone else to go through the same faff, hassle, and rigmarole only to end up substantially out of pocket with a device that they end up having to fix themselves!
ianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2018, 20:58   #2
aircub
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT Cdti 131

Stating the obvious but you did take out the two transportations screws from the unit when you installed it.??
aircub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 09:39   #3
ianM
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircub View Post
Stating the obvious but you did take out the two transportations screws from the unit when you installed it.??

Yep! I read all the instructions three times over to be sure I wasn't getting anything wrong It worked fine the first time, and ejected OK. Then the second time it just ate it and won't eject. I was hoping I could find a replacement drive easy enough, but most PC drives obviously come with a faceplate attached. I guess I need to find somewhere that sells replacements specifically for car radios etc.
Old 26th November 2018, 12:43   #4
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

I just had a quick search on AliExpress and found a lot of replacement drives. All you need is to rip out the old one to see what you need.

Searched for "car audio replacement DVD" btw.

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 15:01   #5
cat
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi,
I've not got a navall but I think I had the exact same problem with the android unit from LITB that Dallas discovered. Does your navall make a sound like it's trying to eject? Mine did, I took it out of the dash and took the top of the casing off and discovered that the disc mechanism was at just the wrong angle to allow the disc to clear the opening so I carefully bent the metal that it was attached to and its been fine since.

Last edited by cat; 26th November 2018 at 15:07..
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 15:15   #6
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

did my WinCE Unit a few years with a New DVD unit from Aliexpress.

Need just need to make sure you get the right model as there are loads of different types .

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2018, 18:32   #7
ianM
Regular poster

Thanks guys!

Quote:
I've not got a navall but I think I had the exact same problem with the android unit from LITB that Dallas discovered. Does your navall make a sound like it's trying to eject? Mine did, I took it out of the dash and took the top of the casing off and discovered that the disc mechanism was at just the wrong angle to allow the disc to clear the opening so I carefully bent the metal that it was attached to and its been fine since.

Actually, this is exactly what it's doing! Didn't want to mess while it was under warranty, but seeing as support has been literally non-existent, I'll definitely give this a try! Will let you know how it goes

If not, I guess I'll be off to AliExpress! Thanks everyone
Old 27th November 2018, 11:43   #8
Hairy Harry

MG ZT-T 260 SE

Hi Ian,

I had a similar problem with a Navall; the CD just would not come out. The answer turned out to be that the top lip of the case was stopping ejection. Just lifted the lip and out popped the CD. Somehow the "letterbox" was distorted.

May not be your problem- but worth a try.

Geoff
Hairy Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2018, 12:59   #9
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Which Navall is it? I have a 2 and a 3 sat in the bottom of my filing cabinet at work. Everything worked fine with both of them apart from the screen so if you want one of them and are willing to pay postage it is yours?
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote