Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th December 2018, 18:03   #41
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Previous post edited mate
Old 12th December 2018, 22:24   #42
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Hi Lee,

How would I prime the pump? I should be able to have a go on Monday.

Thanks

Rob
Hi Gino,

The FBH will not call for the fuel until it has run through the start up sequence which is usually about 30 seconds, the only component that starts up straight away is the water circulation pump.
So it may not be your fuel pump but it can be tested by repeatedly tapping the wire from pin 6 on the 6 pin plug on the battery to simulate the pulse, take off the fuel pipe form the FBH and use a small container to empty the fuel into.
The glow plug also acts as a flame sensor and the resistance has to be in range for it to work, if you need any more help pm me.

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 20:15   #43
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Trevor,

I'm hoping to give it a go on Monday & will post up the results.

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 15:40   #44
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Evening all,

Well it looks like I need a new pump, I connected an independent feed and it sounds like something is obstructing it.
I'll also need to fabricate a new mounting plate too

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Old 17th December 2018, 15:57   #45
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Evening all,

Well it looks like I need a new pump, I connected an independent feed and it sounds like something is obstructing it.
I'll also need to fabricate a new mounting plate too

Rob
Rob, if you are talking about the dosing pump, then it's not a pump in the sense that it's a rotary vane type, but rather a pulse pump.

If you are talking about the coolant circulation pump, then that is of the rotary type, and the impeller can be removed, and all of the accumulated crud cleaned out.

I bought one of these dosing pumps.....LINK as I thought at that price it's worth a punt, Artic advised me later that I may be better off with a good used one from a Freelander 1.

As I only managed to get the FBH talking to T4 last evening after a bit of rework on the PCB, I've not had a chance to fit any of the bits to the car yet, and I still need to look at the coolant pump output from the board before I go much further.

I can't say I'm looking forward to fitting the fuel pump though, never mind the timer and Telestart 80

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 16:37   #46
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Brian,

Yes it was the dosing pump I meant. Maybe I should have persevered a bit longer. I've ordered a new one anyway, a bit more expensive than the one you linked to, but it also comes with the mounting bracket too.

Thanks

Rob

MODS DONE;

Old 17th December 2018, 20:46   #47
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Hi Brian,

Yes it was the dosing pump I meant. Maybe I should have persevered a bit longer. I've ordered a new one anyway, a bit more expensive than the one you linked to, but it also comes with the mounting bracket too.

Thanks

Rob
When it's connected to the FBH it will (should) click Rob, and connecting a permanent 12v supply to the pump won't operate it for more than a single pulse, so not a reliable test.

Do you have a link to the one you bought please.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2018, 23:20   #48
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

I bought one of these dosing pumps.....LINK as I thought at that price it's worth a punt, Artic advised me later that I may be better off with a good used one from a Freelander 1.

Brian

Brian, if you do decide to fit the fbh fuel pump in your link, let us know how it fairs out. It’s a good deal cheaper than the one I fitted from angelinapostalparts, at £60 or thereabouts.
At that price and from the bay of fleas, I wouldn’t expect much..but, nothing ventured, nothing gained...🙄

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 00:05   #49
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75driver View Post
Brian, if you do decide to fit the fbh fuel pump in your link, let us know how it fairs out.
Those cheap dose pumps on eBay pump only 5ml per minute, they will just about run a FBH, but it does not run anywhere near hot enough, causing flameouts. When they first came onto the market in China, they were at least £30 each with a minimum order of at least 10. There is a reason why they are less than a tenner.

It took 2 of those cheap Chinese pumps connected side by side in parallel to run a Webasto

Used Genuine dose pumps, pump out between 9ml and 13ml per minute.

If my dose pump packed in, there is a fine line between a pump up to 20 years old, or two new Chinese pumps for less than £20

I bought a used one for almost £40 that lasted all 5 minutes before it packed in.

There is no contest between 2 Chinese pumps in parallel, and stupid for a new Webasto pump, all it does is pump fuel.

Last edited by Devilish; 18th December 2018 at 00:15..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2018, 00:25   #50
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I bought one of these dosing pumps.....LINK
Read my other post, I tried a few of those pumps, it took about 15 mins to get 5L of water from 5 degrees to 50 degrees. Factory pump gets same water from 5 degrees to 85 degrees and ramping down in 5 mins.
Ok if you put two together, do not know how long they will last.

Pump from Defender, Disco , Range Rover L322, Freelander1 , Audi, BMW, VW all do the same job, just have different connector receiver. the ml per minute may have a little variance, but that is the difference between 9 and 13 sugars in ya coffee

Last edited by Devilish; 18th December 2018 at 00:35..
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote