Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th December 2018, 21:08   #61
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

This is a readout from my V6

Only about an eighth of a tank remaining, so on a full tank, should be good for about 8,800 miles @ 628 mpg

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 21:39   #62
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

The old diesel mpg threads always amuse me.

They come round about once every 4-6 months do they not?!

I still stand by my range/s and figures though, approximately, of course the IPK is a guide at best.

Regularly I headed into Europe, and would not require a fill up until Belgium/Netherlands. (from central Scotland) However driving for mpg and staring at the readout all the time is damn boring and tedious.

Once you stop caring, life is better.

I do notice the extreme mpg though when out in the Balkans etc, as when it is hot and the weather is nice, I really feel no desire to rush, so 50mph/80Kph is great for me, and the extreme ranges of 750+ miles have always been at 50mph and no more. Even increasing to 56mph sees the readouts plummet to around 53.3/55.2

Absurd to drive at 50 in UK, but when you are in 38DegC, checking out the Euro talent and scenery, 50 is plenty :p

Last edited by T16; 12th December 2018 at 21:43..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2018, 21:55   #63
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
The old diesel mpg threads always amuse me.

They come round about once every 4-6 months do they not?!

I still stand by my range/s and figures though, approximately, of course the IPK is a guide at best.

Regularly I headed into Europe, and would not require a fill up until Belgium/Netherlands. (from central Scotland) However driving for mpg and staring at the readout all the time is damn boring and tedious.

Once you stop caring, life is better.

I do notice the extreme mpg though when out in the Balkans etc, as when it is hot and the weather is nice, I really feel no desire to rush, so 50mph/80Kph is great for me, and the extreme ranges of 750+ miles have always been at 50mph and no more. Even increasing to 56mph sees the readouts plummet to around 53.3/55.2

Absurd to drive at 50 in UK, but when you are in 38DegC, checking out the Euro talent and scenery, 50 is plenty :p
90% of France is now 50 mph. So look out all you folks coming over here on holiday next year.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 08:08   #64
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

Using an old trick borrowed from water shortage days, I cut a hole in my tank and put a brick in it. Unfortunately when I went to weld it back up the car exploded so I never got to try it out. I had high hopes.

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 10:13   #65
Ken Lion
Gets stuck in

R75 2.0 CDT Club SE Tourer

My overall average mpg (for a manual diesel tourer) over the last 5yrs of ownership is 46.5, covering all seasons and all types of driving.

I use the same garage and, sadly perhaps, the same pump (except when on holiday) and always brim the tank. So I know for certain that is a very accurate figure.

My sad little spread-sheet also gives me an accurate trip mpg and that shows quite a variation depending on season, temperature and type of trip.

I do a regular 200m round trip (Mancs to N Wales) which is almost all motorway & dual carriageway.
In summer that will always return between 55-57mpg and that is without trying to be economic (but mostly 65-70mph) and if I was really trying I'm sure I could get it a bit higher.

My 75 is looked after, although not with anything like the tlc that some on here will give so it's not in any way unique.
But whatever anyone says, I know for certain that it will do individual trips at 57mpg without trying too hard.
I don't think the OP was really saying much more than that.

Last edited by Ken Lion; 13th December 2018 at 10:19..
Ken Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2018, 10:23   #66
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lion View Post
My 75 is looked after, although not with anything like the tlc that some on here will give so it's not in any way unique.
But whatever anyone says, I know for certain that it will do individual trips at 57mpg without trying too hard.
I don't think the OP was really saying much more than that.
Spot on Ken - if anyone reads my original post a lot of the tittle-tattle which followed it is irrelevant and off-topic.

I wasn't making any point other than if you are lucky enough to have optimum conditions and drive very carefully you can get surprising results, and the pursuit of those results can be a way of keeping entertained on an otherwise tedious low speed and congested drive.

I wasn't really prepared for all the backlash!

Happy motoring :-)
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2018, 19:20   #67
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Just to finish this thread off - I've just got to the end of that tankful of diesel and have figures to report!

I'm in a lucky position in as much as I don't have to use the Rover to get to work, so I can pick and choose which journeys I use it for. As a result I've been able to avoid lots of short journeys and although conditions haven't been perfect for fuel consumption, I've managed to be fairly frugal. Most of the miles have been convered under fairly favourable conditions in terms of speed and braking, however I've also had to cover quite a bit of congested town driving and also a couple of motorway journeys, some of them with heavyish loads and at 70 MPH, so it's not all been plain sailing.

IMAG1113 by Tourist, on Flickr

In the end I got 718.6 miles until the range dropped to 0 miles. When filling it up, I put 60.28 litres (13.26 gallons) of fuel into the tank. The dash MPG read 56.5, however, the actual calculated figure was 54.19 MPG. NB each time I filled the tank, I brimmed it so that fuel was visible in the top of the filler neck.

During this tankful I also compared my odometer reading to the sat nav over about 20 miles and it was bang on, + or - 0.1 miles. I can confirm that I'm using stock tyres (215 / 55 R16 on Union Alloys).

So what have we learned?

- 700+ miles from a single tankful is possible
- The float switch(es) in the tank aren't sticking
- The car's MPG readout is 5% too optimistic (or offset by about 2 MPG)
- My tourer's minimum 'best' MPG figure over 718.6 miles is just over 54 MPG
- It can definitely do better than that, given better driving conditions
- A saloon driven in the same way can probably also do better than my tourer without any trouble
- I'm going to enjoy putting my foot down a bit more over the next tankful!

Cheers all, and happy (economical) new year everyone :-)

Simon R.

Last edited by Tourist; 30th December 2018 at 19:23.. Reason: Removed extra linebreaks
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 10:44   #68
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

I don’t bother to check my ZTT cdti regularly - probably about once a quarter I do a brim to brim.

I have achieved over 50mpg but only when doing a motorway cruise.

Overall I am happy with the regular 47’ish mpg I get.

And when I compare that to the 18mpg I put up with when I ran a V8 Discovery - I’m positively delighted!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2018, 12:04   #69
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I filled the V6 up yesterday. Again!!!
Old 31st December 2018, 12:10   #70
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Spot on Ken - if anyone reads my original post a lot of the tittle-tattle which followed it is irrelevant and off-topic.

I wasn't making any point other than if you are lucky enough to have optimum conditions and drive very carefully you can get surprising results, and the pursuit of those results can be a way of keeping entertained on an otherwise tedious low speed and congested drive.

I wasn't really prepared for all the backlash!

Happy motoring :-)

Come on, what have you been smoking?

You only have to sneeze on the forum and there's a backlash.

MSS is offline   Reply With Quote