Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th November 2009, 10:07   #1
rumpelstiltskin
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 CDT

Default Front windscreen wiper removal

Can't believe im having to ask this but how in the hell do you remove the windscreen wipers?Like any normal car i took the nut off thinking the arm would lever off?But not so,has the metal collar thing underneath the nut to be unscrewed somehow?

Last edited by rumpelstiltskin; 11th November 2009 at 10:10..
rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 10:23   #2
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Sorry, can't help, but if the reason you want them off is to check the plenums or replace the pollen filter, you don't need to.

This info is obviously of no use whatsoever if you are in fact wanting to replace the wiper arms......................
Old 11th November 2009, 10:45   #3
marley
Avid contributor

rover 75 cdti. conn. s.e.

Thumbs up

When youve taken the nut off, if you sort of "bend/lift/move manouvre the actual wiper arm, the thing becomes a lot more "floppy" and it will be a lot easier to move it! You have to use a tiny bit of force!
Dont forget! before you take it off to put tape or similar where the wiper lay! otherewise they will be all out of alignment on re-fitting!
Sorry for lack of technical terms! Basically you will have to lift the wiper a little as then it will be less tight/rigid to retaining screw!
When youve done it I guarantee youll say.....Dohh! (least I did!)
first time I did it I was there for hours scratching my head!

Last edited by marley; 11th November 2009 at 10:47..
marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 11:06   #4
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

The easiest / safest method of doing it without damage is to buy a puller from your local toolshop....mine was about £9. It has come in useful for lots of other things too....
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 12:44   #5
rumpelstiltskin
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Sorry, can't help, but if the reason you want them off is to check the plenums or replace the pollen filter, you don't need to.

This info is obviously of no use whatsoever if you are in fact wanting to replace the wiper arms......................
I've already done the plenums,and i've checked the sunroof drains,they are all fine,carpets still getting soaked mind you!I don't think i'll ever get to the bottom of this leak,i've even bonded all round the windscreen,huge gaps were all round the screen at places.I just wanted to remove the tray completely to check the bottom of the windscreen,and the white clips.I've been pulling on it,twisting it like you usually do with wipers but it aint budging!I'll get the pullers out i've conveniently recently purchased.:lol:

Last edited by rumpelstiltskin; 11th November 2009 at 12:48..
rumpelstiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 15:04   #6
marley
Avid contributor

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpelstiltskin View Post
I've already done the plenums,and i've checked the sunroof drains,they are all fine,carpets still getting soaked mind you!I don't think i'll ever get to the bottom of this leak,i've even bonded all round the windscreen,huge gaps were all round the screen at places.I just wanted to remove the tray completely to check the bottom of the windscreen,and the white clips.I've been pulling on it,twisting it like you usually do with wipers but it aint budging!I'll get the pullers out i've conveniently recently purchased.:lol:
On my car, you really have to grab hold of the bottom of the arm, and sort push it downwards and then straighten it out? The arm should come off easily enough then?
As I say when I did mine the first time, I was a bit reluctant to use much force as I thought they would break!
Take the arms of the window, then do it! (I presume you didnt leave the wipers on windscreen as you were attempting to get them off!?).
Old 11th November 2009, 16:10   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumpelstiltskin View Post
Can't believe im having to ask this but how in the hell do you remove the windscreen wipers?Like any normal car i took the nut off thinking the arm would lever off?But not so,has the metal collar thing underneath the nut to be unscrewed somehow?
Just for clarification, the "metal collar" is a conical or tapered insert , which is splined. THe nut tightens down onto this which pushes in and grips the arm and the shaft . As said , lift the arm off the screen to relieve spring pressure and then waggle the arm close to the shaft to break the taper fit. Careful , the insert can come flying out and go to live in the bowels of the engine bay !
Old 11th November 2009, 16:23   #8
marley
Avid contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Just for clarification, the "metal collar" is a conical or tapered insert , which is splined. THe nut tightens down onto this which pushes in and grips the arm and the shaft . As said , lift the arm off the screen to relieve spring pressure and then waggle the arm close to the shaft to break the taper fit. Careful , the insert can come flying out and go to live in the bowels of the engine bay !
Ahh! now thats what I "meant to say!", but Im not at all technically minded! lol!
Old 8th June 2019, 15:16   #9
HJW_NI

MG ZT

Good advice on here, I was replacing a cabin filter today an getting the wipers off had me stumped.

Thanks guys
HJW_NI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2019, 16:41   #10
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

No need to take the wipers of to do the filter ..

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote