Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th March 2021, 11:28   #1
bonny
Regular poster

ZT-T

Default Front Shocks and Springs for ZT-T Diesel

MOT day today. Put 2 new front tyres on at the weekend and saw that the nearside spring had snapped (hadn't noticed anything while driving). Told my garage to change both sides but they phoned a little while ago to say the offside shock is leaking slightly, so I've told them to change the shocks as well.

Well they can't source the shocks so I've done some searching and calling around and it seems the offside shock I need (part No. RNB001040) is not available anywhere and no-one seems to know when they will be.

DMGRS website says due in 23rd March but that the shocks are for the original Mk1 'standard' spec. Mine is a Mk2 'comfort' spec.

So here's the question. I'm replacing both front shocks and springs. Can I put on Mk1 'standard' spec instead of the Mk2 'comfort' spec without it causing any issues? Would i have to change the rears as well?
bonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2021, 12:43   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Yes you can put the earlier type on without any issues, the difference is not huge, as for the rear end, no you won't need to change them. I have that set up on my mk 1 ZT and I didn't notice any difference and car has passed 3 m.o.t's without comment.

Last edited by Lee T; 16th March 2021 at 12:46..
Lee T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2021, 13:02   #3
bonny
Regular poster

ZT-T

Thanks for the reply Lee, much appreciated.
Old 16th March 2021, 13:05   #4
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

And you will find the DMGRS ones are the longer rover compatible shocks, so a little softer(not really a problem) but are a bitch to refit as they are 2 or so inches longer not loaded . bin there dunnit

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny View Post
MOT day today. Put 2 new front tyres on at the weekend and saw that the nearside spring had snapped (hadn't noticed anything while driving). Told my garage to change both sides but they phoned a little while ago to say the offside shock is leaking slightly, so I've told them to change the shocks as well.

Well they can't source the shocks so I've done some searching and calling around and it seems the offside shock I need (part No. RNB001040) is not available anywhere and no-one seems to know when they will be.

DMGRS website says due in 23rd March but that the shocks are for the original Mk1 'standard' spec. Mine is a Mk2 'comfort' spec.

So here's the question. I'm replacing both front shocks and springs. Can I put on Mk1 'standard' spec instead of the Mk2 'comfort' spec without it causing any issues? Would i have to change the rears as well?
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2021, 13:34   #5
bonny
Regular poster

ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
And you will find the DMGRS ones are the longer rover compatible shocks, so a little softer(not really a problem) but are a bitch to refit as they are 2 or so inches longer not loaded . bin there dunnit

C
Thanks Ceedy. Have ordered from Rimmer Bros. Little bit pricey but all in stock.
Old 16th March 2021, 14:03   #6
bonny
Regular poster

ZT-T

This is going to be an expensive MOT and service.

As well as the MOT and oil change, I asked the garage to change the front discs/pads and fluid. Have been on there for 75K miles/9 years and weren't feeling as good as they used too!

When they phoned earlier about the shock absorber he also said that a rubber front brake hose had "exploded" when applying an emergency stop on the rolling road Maybe explains why they weren't feeling too clever!

What with the 2 tyres already bought and the various filters I recently changed, the credit card is taking a bit of a bashing. Oh well it's only money
Old 16th March 2021, 20:06   #7
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny View Post
This is going to be an expensive MOT and service.

As well as the MOT and oil change, I asked the garage to change the front discs/pads and fluid. Have been on there for 75K miles/9 years and weren't feeling as good as they used too!

When they phoned earlier about the shock absorber he also said that a rubber front brake hose had "exploded" when applying an emergency stop on the rolling road Maybe explains why they weren't feeling too clever!

What with the 2 tyres already bought and the various filters I recently changed, the credit card is taking a bit of a bashing. Oh well it's only money
If you will be replacing all the brake hoses (remember they are all the same age), I'd seriously consider fitting Goodridge brake hose kit. They are better, and when I bought mine, noticeably cheaper than an MGR set.
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2021, 09:56   #8
bonny
Regular poster

ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearton View Post
If you will be replacing all the brake hoses (remember they are all the same age), I'd seriously consider fitting Goodridge brake hose kit. They are better, and when I bought mine, noticeably cheaper than an MGR set.
Thanks Kearton, that's good advice about the brake hoses. I'll pass on the recommendation to the garage.