Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th December 2007, 17:15   #11
dionh
Regular poster

MG ZT-T cdti 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by raykay View Post
Offside, you need to remove the trim round the boot release switch and there are several earth connections there.
Eventually managed to get the plastic trim off and gave the 3 visible earthing points a good squirt of WD40.
Put it all back together, but sadly, no change to previous situation i.e. Everything works properly when the side lights are on, hardly anything (electrical) works when the side lights are off.
Would a Testbook diagnostics session sort this out? and how much should I expect to pay?
Getting desperate,
Di.
dionh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 17:30   #12
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Red face

Dont squirt them Di , strip and clean them because a poor earth can cause all sorts of strange electrical happenings . My first 75 auto kept loosing drive and made a banging noise from the gearbox as if the driveshafts were coming out. Cause - poor earth in the nearside kick panel ! Mind you it was under warranty so it was put on testbook which identified the earth point which was at fault.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 13:47   #13
dionh
Regular poster

MG ZT-T cdti 135

Default Success!!

Tried the car again this morning and amazingly, all is working as it should. It could just be coincidence of course, but I feel sure you guys are right about the earth being the problem, the WD40 just took longer to do its job than I had thought.
Thanks for your advice Pete, I will give it a proper clean when the temperature rises a little.
Di.
dionh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 23:00   #14
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Dont squirt them Di , strip and clean them because a poor earth can cause all sorts of strange electrical happenings .
Good advice.

WD40 is great for somethings but not for electrical contacts.

Use Servisol Switch Cleaner it is much better for electrical contacts. Take the contacts apart, clean with emery paper (or suchlike) and spray with switch cleaner. Corrosion can build up on exposed contacts very quickly. I've found that once the Servisol has dried it can be sprayed with silicon grease which provides a better "water resistance" to the contacts. (Or for that matter coat the contacts in silicone based sealant).

Works for me....

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote