Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th October 2007, 20:52   #1
Mr.Ian
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Scratched Glass

Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem.
Front door windows are being scratched when wound up or down on the outside and the scratches are now easy to notice.
I've prized the outer window to door seal away from the glass and given it a good clean to get rid of any sand or muck that is stuck but a scratching noise can still be heard.
This is only a problem with the front door windows, the rears are fine and scratch free.
I don't open my windows anymore and am not going to till I sort the problem.

Anyone had this on their 75
Mr.Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 20:56   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Must still be some grit inside the rubber.

When you get it sorted you should be able to cut the scratches off the glass using jewellers rouge.

Best of luck
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 21:02   #3
Mr.Ian
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks GG you've made my day, thought i'd have to change the door windows to get rid of the scratches.
Only slight scratches anyway but scratched all the same.
I'll try n give the seals a good thorough cleaning, I was just wondering if it was one of our common little problems we have with these cars (only had it 7 months).

Ian
Mr.Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 21:05   #4
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I've never heard of scratched glass myself and not experienced it on mine either - unlike my MGB GT on which this is a very common problem. If you find out what has caused it then it will be interesting to hear more.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 21:08   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

The rubber seals are pretty tight I can only imagine something got in while the window was open and has been worked further in with use of the window, could just be a grain of sand or something even smaller
Old 16th October 2007, 21:19   #6
SteveWaller
Avid contributor

Rover 75 cdti Contemporary SE

Mine has the same problem on the drivers side. The rubber seal was filthy and grit embedded in them had scratched the glass. I have cleaned the rubbers, but the scratched glass is still a problem. What would people suggest I use to try and polish the scratches out and where would I get such a product? By the way, giving the rubbers a good soaking in silicone lubricant helped a lot.
SteveWaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 21:24   #7
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

This is the best product for the job, not necessarily from this company. Do search for Jewellers Rouge on Google for more info.

http://www.briliant.biz/products.asp?CategoryId=7
Old 16th October 2007, 21:52   #8
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Be a little careful with jewellers rouge as it can marr the surface take it slowly. Joking apart fine scratches can be polished out with toothpaste - and no it doesnt matter if its whitening.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 23:16   #9
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

I didn't have much success removing very light arc scratches on an MG TF windscreen, with a proper glass polishing kit from CETEM. #

Must have spent 5 hrs machine polishing just 2 inches of the arc!with various grades in the kit, with very little effect. The scratches were so light your finger nail would not catch accross them!

I did not want to beaten, but I'm afaid I was and had to sell the TF as it was.

Isn't it strange there are no proffessional companies offering a mobile glass scratch removal service like they do with scratches and dents on paintwork?
I rang Autoglass and various local independent Windscreen repairers and they all said "it's not viable mate"

If you Google glass scratch repair, loads of companies claim their products will do it!
Wonder how true it is.

Has anyone been successful with the toothpaste trick?

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 20:22   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

In order to remove scratches by abrading away the glass, the abrasive has to be harder than the glass or it will not be touched. Toothpaste sounds like a non-starter to me. Maybe OK for paintwork, but not glass. I've not polished a windscreen before, but I have created parabolic mirrors by grinding and polishing glass discs and the standard abrasive used is carborundum powder (silicon carbide). You can get these powders in different grades from coarse to very fine. They use the same BS numbering system as wet and dry abrasive papers. The finest carborundum (say 800 grade) would easily take out very fine scratches, but would leave the area 'fogged'. This fogged area would then have to be polished using a finer abrasive paste like jeweller's rouge or cerium oxide. Both are as fine as flour, but extremly effective. The principle behind abrading and polishing glass is the abrasive should be coarser than the 'fault' you're trying to remove, or it will take much effort to remove it. That's why a series of abrasives, getting progressively finer, is used for mirrors. Each one removes the scratches produced by the previous one. I think to polish a windscreen, you'd need at least two abrasives if it isn't to take weeks to do the job. I suspect nobody does this commercially because of the effort involved. Once you've done one windscreen, you won't fancy doing another.
TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 17th October 2007 at 20:25..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote