Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd December 2007, 15:30   #1
oddsocks
Regular poster

75 CDT 03 plate

Default R75 CDT leakback on 2 injectors - options for repair?

I had all 4 injectors tested in August and as a result 2 were in spec, two needed a factory exchange. Now after another 5k miles the 3 remaining originals are leaking I've just found and subscribed to this forum and it seems to have more active 75 diesel members than on the general one, so i'll double post for the maximum benefit (to me and viewers!)[/I]

Last time, I had time off and a second car so was able to go the 30 odd miles to Colchester and lose a day getting them tested. I have a few questions....

1. Is it possible to repair the leakback by dismantling and fitting a new seal? All other parameters of the injector were in spec. If so how (any special tools or things to look out for?)
2. Can anyone recommend a service centre that accepts posted items and services them? If so, name phone number and indicative cost and time delay please
3. if not (2), any suppliers that offer exchange units but send to u first (and refund a surcharge on receipt of the old one). Again details please. I want to avoid being without the car if possible so even though this is likely to be the dearer option it is the most convenient

meanwhile the car starts fine when cold and I have a can of cold start for when i need to restart it when hot.
The bosch injectors are part number 0445 110030. If anyone has a pair of good ones not exhibiting leakback please PM me
Thanks

Dave

Last edited by GreyGhost; 2nd December 2007 at 19:50..
oddsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 17:59   #2
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddsocks View Post
I had all 4 injectors tested in August and as a result 2 were in spec, two needed a factory exchange. Now after another 5k miles the 3 remaining originals are leaking I've just found and subscribed to this forum and it seems to have more active 75 diesel members than on the general one, so i'll double post for the maximum benefit (to me and viewers!)[/I]

Last time, I had time off and a second car so was able to go the 30 odd miles to Colchester and lose a day getting them tested. I have a few questions....

1. Is it possible to repair the leakback by dismantling and fitting a new seal? All other parameters of the injector were in spec. If so how (any special tools or things to look out for?)
2. Can anyone recommend a service centre that accepts posted items and services them? If so, name phone number and indicative cost and time delay please
3. if not (2), any suppliers that offer exchange units but send to u first (and refund a surcharge on receipt of the old one). Again details please. I want to avoid being without the car if possible so even though this is likely to be the dearer option it is the most convenient

meanwhile the car starts fine when cold and I have a can of cold start for when i need to restart it when hot.
The bosch injectors are part number 0445 110030. If anyone has a pair of good ones not exhibiting leakback please PM me
Thanks

Dave
Froggy is sending his to:

http://www.lynxdiesels.com in Wokingham

I think he said £90 each for complete overhaul.

Ron

Last edited by GreyGhost; 2nd December 2007 at 19:50..
Roverron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 19:21   #3
oddsocks
Regular poster

75 CDT 03 plate

thanks Ron - I saw in another thread you had mentioned Froggy was sending them somewhere but couldn't find the original that said where!.
Problem I have leading up to Christmas is that my work is taking me on trips at least twice a week to customer meetings so I cannot work from home whilst the injectors are away, so I am also interested in buy and return options .

I found this supplier but my specific injector isn't listed (i'll call them tomorrow for a quote) http://www.uniteddiesel.co.uk/diesel-injectors.php
Old 4th December 2007, 22:52   #4
oddsocks
Regular poster

75 CDT 03 plate

update

I managed to sort work trips out (now taking the train on Thursday) so opted for a post return service as no-one held stocks of refurb units.

I called 4 different injector servicing providers including Colchester Fuel Injection ( who confirmed that for what I paid in August I had only had the now faulty two tested, not even basic seals serviced). They were also the dearest over the phone quote of £120-130 +VAT (for overhaul).

I have sent my injectors to Alan at Lynxdiesel - he was the cheapest (£90 inclusive per injector) for a full overhaul, but it wasn't price that swayed me - it was the fact that Alan was the only person to 'insist' that I sent all 4 injectors not just the faulty two, as there is such a high pass tolerance he would need to balance them all . If the other (working)two don't need any shimming then there will be no charge for testing them; if they do then its £10 each for the shimming.

other quotes were £90+vat and £110 inc vat (i.e very close), but each had a 3 day turn around. Alan will quote tomorrow (assuming special delivery gets there by lunch) and aim to have them on their way back by Thursday evening, with paypal being used.

I will update once received and fitted
Old 5th December 2007, 07:47   #5
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
update

I managed to sort work trips out (now taking the train on Thursday) so opted for a post return service as no-one held stocks of refurb units.

I called 4 different injector servicing providers including Colchester Fuel Injection ( who confirmed that for what I paid in August I had only had the now faulty two tested, not even basic seals serviced). They were also the dearest over the phone quote of £120-130 +VAT (for overhaul).

I have sent my injectors to Alan at Lynxdiesel - he was the cheapest (£90 inclusive per injector) for a full overhaul, but it wasn't price that swayed me - it was the fact that Alan was the only person to 'insist' that I sent all 4 injectors not just the faulty two, as there is such a high pass tolerance he would need to balance them all . If the other (working)two don't need any shimming then there will be no charge for testing them; if they do then its £10 each for the shimming.

other quotes were £90+vat and £110 inc vat (i.e very close), but each had a 3 day turn around. Alan will quote tomorrow (assuming special delivery gets there by lunch) and aim to have them on their way back by Thursday evening, with paypal being used.

I will update once received and fitted
Froggy said he was impressed with Alan at Lynx Diesel's knowledge and attitude so hopefully if all goes well with the both of you, I will add a link to my website for him.

Ron
Old 5th December 2007, 21:00   #6
oddsocks
Regular poster

75 CDT 03 plate

Default fast turnaround!!!

I've just had a call from Alan Darby of Lynx Diesel to say he's just finished my injectors (at 9:30pm) !!! They arrived special delivery to him at lunchtime and he has fully serviced the two faulty ones and had to change the nozzle in one of the bosch factory exchange ones that had done only 6k miles - the low fuel reading at low fuel pressure when hot couldn't be balanced by shimming so a new nozzle (at cost) was fitted...(this sentence alone inspires confidence in his knowledge and determination to 'get it right'). Total cost including return special delivery £220, just paid via paypal so I should get them back on Friday and fitted Saturday.

Excellent service.

Also worth note that new injectors may not be balanced!

Dave

Last edited by oddsocks; 5th December 2007 at 21:05..
Old 6th December 2007, 07:18   #7
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
I've just had a call from Alan Darby of Lynx Diesel to say he's just finished my injectors (at 9:30pm) !!! They arrived special delivery to him at lunchtime and he has fully serviced the two faulty ones and had to change the nozzle in one of the bosch factory exchange ones that had done only 6k miles - the low fuel reading at low fuel pressure when hot couldn't be balanced by shimming so a new nozzle (at cost) was fitted...(this sentence alone inspires confidence in his knowledge and determination to 'get it right'). Total cost including return special delivery £220, just paid via paypal so I should get them back on Friday and fitted Saturday.

Excellent service.

Dave
This sounds promising and definitley inspires confidence.

Ron
Old 6th December 2007, 12:34   #8
ColinW
Regular poster

R 75 Club CDT Auto

Quote:

Excellent service.

Dave
Dave,
I am so pleased, as it was myself who recommended them a few weeks back, as Alan had done a great with my 4. He turned mine round in a day, and took a great deal of care over the balancing. I'ts a pity though you did'nt have all four done together, as a balanced set of 4 makes a huge difference at tickover.
Although he works in his big garden shed (I had the tour), he has all the equipment and above all the dedication to do a good job.

cheers

Colin
ColinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 15:27   #9
andyw
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi (departed to pastures new) MGTF, MGC,

What's the point of balancing them? I am guessing that if they are not balanced then the engine will not run smoothly at tickover.

Will it also have a detremental effect on mpg?

Andy
andyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2007, 15:35   #10
ColinW
Regular poster

R 75 Club CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw View Post
What's the point of balancing them? I am guessing that if they are not balanced then the engine will not run smoothly at tickover.

Will it also have a detremental effect on mpg?

Andy

I really think you've answered your own question- first one that is.

Yes it could effect MPG, depends how unbalanced they were.

Last edited by ColinW; 6th December 2007 at 15:40..
ColinW is offline   Reply With Quote