Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th December 2007, 20:22   #1
kwak636r
Regular poster

MG ZT T 190 lpg

Default MG Falling apart

Hi all

My ZT Cdti is starting to fall apart, First off the clutch is starting to slip so i need to change that. I think i will do that my self is it really hard on this car?
Next the flexi joint on the exhaust has gone so i have opted for a full stainless decat system, had a quote for £330 does this sound good?
Finally the one that really confuses me is it keeps warping thefront right brake disc and i dont know why. It had new pads (EBC Green stuff) with matching discs drilled and groved and did those in 2000 milesish then a standared set of discs and again did those abput the same.
It doesnt do any mayjor braking as my wife potters to work in it and we use it on the motorway.
We had a new wheel baring put in the left hub and i wounder if the garage cocked it up???
Maybe it a bit scuwiff any ideas?
Cheers all
kwak636r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 21:43   #2
Alex30013k
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 CDTi Conn Se

How funny,

I have had my clutch replaced (Slipping)
and today i had my flexi joint replaced, £160 at Kwick Fit! you have to say that you found it for that price else where and they will match that,

lol

Hardy Falling apart....

Alex30013k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2007, 23:30   #3
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Make sure the mating surfaces between disc and hub are "clinically clean"

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 05:56   #4
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak636r View Post
Hi all

My ZT Cdti is starting to fall apart, First off the clutch is starting to slip so i need to change that. I think i will do that my self is it really hard on this car?
Next the flexi joint on the exhaust has gone so i have opted for a full stainless decat system, had a quote for £330 does this sound good?
Finally the one that really confuses me is it keeps warping thefront right brake disc and i dont know why. It had new pads (EBC Green stuff) with matching discs drilled and groved and did those in 2000 milesish then a standared set of discs and again did those abput the same.
It doesnt do any mayjor braking as my wife potters to work in it and we use it on the motorway.
We had a new wheel baring put in the left hub and i wounder if the garage cocked it up???
Maybe it a bit scuwiff any ideas?
Cheers all
Personally, if it's in the Haynes manual, then I'd give it a go. If you're confident and half-decent competent then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just make sure you understand everything involved and have all replacement parts before you start.
As for the brake disc - could it be a sticky caliper? Have you noticed any pulling or a rise in fuel consumption? Just a thought.
GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 21:27   #5
kwak636r
Regular poster

MG ZT T 190 lpg

I hope im competant i work on jets.
What sort of mpg should i be getting? It dosnt feel like a sticky caliper and everything was cleaned.
kwak636r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 07:15   #6
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwak636r View Post
I hope im competant i work on jets.
What sort of mpg should i be getting? It dosnt feel like a sticky caliper and everything was cleaned.
MPG is a grey area by the looks of things, dependant on many variables, driving style, tyre type fitted, road surfaces, modifications etc. There is a discussion elsewhere on the forum regarding this. I've filled mine (135 CDTi manual saloon) twice since purchase (about a month ago), first after driving from buying it in Scunthorpe back to Edinburgh - 43mpg, not holding back but not boy-racer style - and the second time after local driving, comuting etc - 32mpg, not holding back either!! I'm personally hoping it settles in the mid to upper 30's.
If you work on jets then changing a clutch should be a breeze.
GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2007, 15:32   #7
mrbukie

CDTi ZT

Wonder if front disc warping is due to braking to a stop then keeping your foot on brake - apparently discs can warp due to the unequal dissipation of heat where the pad is still in contact with the disc surface after braking, and is especially prevalent on drilled and grooved discs??..
mrbukie
mrbukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 15:06   #8
Aga
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi Black Pearl

I had new discs and pads fitted at the last service and had to go back to change them as they were squeaking badly. A month later and they have started again! I don't have the time to keep going back to the garage every other week! What is the problem?

Last edited by Aga; 16th December 2007 at 22:04..
Aga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2007, 15:22   #9
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aga View Post
I had new discs and pads fited at the last service and had to go back to change them as they were squeaking badly. A month later and they have started again! I don't have the time to keep going back to the garage every other week! What is the problem?
Steve, maybe they are using cheap pads. The OEM spec has backing anti squeak shims. The original shims seem to bonded to the pads when removed.
Trouble with garages is they tend to use cheap suppliers unless you specify a brand you want fitted.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote