Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 22nd February 2020, 17:41   #41
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgymoo View Post
... particular thanks to Super Brian who is a legend
He made three guesses and unnecessary work to your immobiliser before he thought of the simplest possible cause; a fuse. Is that the making of a legend?

The appropriate definition from the Oxford English Dictionary seems to be:
"An extremely famous or notorious person". So yes, you appear to be right morgymoo.

Simon
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:26   #42
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
What a you are at times

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Simondi; 27th February 2020 at 08:27..
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:49   #43
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
He made three guesses and unnecessary work to your immobiliser before he thought of the simplest possible cause; a fuse. Is that the making of a legend?

"An extremely famous or notorious person". So yes, you appear to be right morgymoo.

Simon
I made no guesses Simon, I asked the man to check to see if his second key worked in case the first one had a data fault, which incidentally was the case by the way.

His second key had no transponder fitted, so after rectifying the data fault by resetting the rolling code table in the immobiliser, I programmed him a replacement so his second key would also be operational.

I then dismantled my own car in the pouring rain, and fitted the parts from his car, paired everything up using T4, and ensured everything worked, which of course it did.

Now I had made the assumption that the original fault was caused by repeated attempts to start the car with a partially discharged battery, something that has been seen before, however make no mistake about it, you have not brought anything to the table other than your absolute disdain for anyone who has anything whatsoever to do with the motor trade once again.

So it wasn't solved by your help was it Simon?, I messed about in the pouring rain for a couple of hours, to make sure the man was not left without an operational car, sorted out the symptom of the fault, and programmed him a replacement transponder.

I then boxed everything up and posted it back to him, and didn't charge a penny for my time, my expertise, the replacement transponder, in fact nothing whatsoever.

When he received it back it should have been a case of plugging it all back in and everything working normally, but as you well know this wasn't the case.

So did I throw my hands up in despair? no I had a look at what could have caused the original fault, and made informed suggestions as to where he might look next.

Now in my book that is what makes a helpful club member, not one that makes ill informed assumptions that O ring compression set is actually caused by minuscule movements abrading an O ring flat, then when it is explained by someone who recognises the symptoms, you carry on poo pooing the actual causal factor.

I pulled out a molar with a pair of pliers on Monday, as I was in so much pain and couldn't wait for my dentist to come back from her holiday, does this make me a dentistry expert, or somehow better than the dentist.......of course the answer is no.

Similarly, just because you have carried out a couple of jobs on your own car Simon, this does not qualify you as any type of expert, nor does it mean you to know better than the manufacturer when it come to the ill placed advice you often dispense when it comes to timing belt replacement, or safety matters when it comes to the replacement of brake pipes.

Now I don't give a hoot what you think of me, or indeed what senior members of this club you choose to cosy up to, my time spent actually helping other owners has now come to an end

My tenure at this club is also at an end, and perhaps next time you are speaking to Paul Ribi, you may ask him to action my request to deactivate my account, as I've better things to do with my time than attempt to debate with a complete and utter bell-end such as yourself

I'm sure the rest of the membership are looking forward to your superior knowledge being actioned for them, I can't wait for the next thrilling instalment of "the garage haven't used the official MGR bleeding procedure" to be trotted out

Now please run along now Mr Halfajob, you've some reporting of posts to do, followed by a crash course in how not to piss off the very people prepared to put themselves out for a complete stranger

Over and out

Last edited by marinabrian; 22nd February 2020 at 18:54..
Old 22nd February 2020, 18:52   #44
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgymoo View Post
So i went along this afternoon with all intentions of checking various fuses for power supplies . when i arrived nobody was home so my fist thought was oops i need some one to hold the key in start position while i check power to fuse 8, oh well i'll just check the fuse continuity again first, it was fine but i'll change it anyway. I replaced the fuse with a new one and wondered how am i going to test it for power on my own.whilst wondering i tuned the key to start position
Guess what?, it STARTED hooray. So i put everything back into place covers screws etc, switched it off, tried starting 3-4 more times and job done. (make of this what you will), I would like to thank all you guys for your input and help on this ,particular thanks to Super Brian who is a legend
Many thanks all.
Thanks for letting us know the outcome Graham, and at least I was of some use for a change

Brian
Old 22nd February 2020, 19:59   #45
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for letting us know the outcome Graham, and at least I was of some use for a change

Brian
so from start to finish, physical (as well as theoretical) assistance from a remote location, 18 days, with a red herring mixing it up, plus the added bonus of a confirmed working ECU and spare key too, is not too bad in my book (even better that is was with minimal costs). I reckon you could change my timing chain from your back yard in less time it takes to do a set of belts on a V6

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
Old 24th February 2020, 20:25   #46
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Simon
Simon.Famous OR notorious.

Unbecoming of you to pick NOTORIOUS, now hold out your hand !!!
Old 27th February 2020, 22:27   #47
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Don't be daft your a mine of useful and needed info especially for a newb like me. You even make a great cuppa. If I was single and didn't have to worry about what the wife thought or see my kids I'd have camped outside. Don't put yourself down man, there's enough folks inlife that'll delight in doing it for you as they're jealous of the power you have.
I like you and love to listen to you especially when you tell stories. So, the wife;'s getting the house back about time but remember the good guys and f**k the guys winding you up off. When geniuses meet there's always a war just go with the flow my best mate and dear departed uncle said. You can't avoid all stress in life but if it doesn't matter let it go; pride is yours and can't be touched by others; honour is yours and can't be reduced by others both require knowledge of your past achievements. ALL an outsider can do is ADD to your HONOUR and RESPECT. Always your friend and thanks for the help you've given for FREE in the past. OH and if you need to know I was Officer corps in the army so I know honour and respect. Sometimes hteis forum gets a but teennagery in its over the top banter. Guys please remember we who need you to help us read everything you type. Cheers, Alan ex-officercadet Scots Guards Sandhurst trainee 1999 Medically discharged due to Major heart surgery after completing training as 2nd Lieutenant. I only spent 25 years training for that.. Smile life's not worth fighting and being a grump.. Oh btw the last 5 years I've been caring for my now 10 year old who's been fighting leukaemia since 2015... Talk about a guilt trip...lol

Quote:

Brian
Old 7th March 2020, 09:21   #48
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... your absolute disdain for anyone who has anything whatsoever to do with the motor trade once again.
It hasn't gone unnoticed that so you do Brian, unless it's the other club traders or perhaps one or two mates in the north east. You are better than all of them, remember?

You're very happy to dole out the abuse and insults from the safety of your keyboard aren't you Brian, but you're a frightened little rabbit when you're on the receiving end of anything other than grovelling admiration.

Oh, and mind how you go working in the rain now. We don't want to catch a cold do we.

Simon

PS:
Quote:
My tenure at this club is also at an end ...

How many times have you said that? The most you've lasted is a few weeks on your own!
Old 7th March 2020, 19:35   #49
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Old 7th March 2020, 20:08   #50
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

Simon I take it that you are trying to provoke a reaction from Marinabrian, who in this thread successfully repaired a members car f.o.c, now since the car has been sorted, I think this thread has run its course and I'm going to close it before you get the reaction your looking for.