Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st February 2015, 22:19   #1
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Default Certificate of Destruction - Reversal.

The following might help other members who have previously thought that a certificate of destruction (or COD) cannot be reversed - it can.

All of this is to the best of my knowledge, so please feel free to correct me on any points

Firstly, for those who aren't familiar with this, nowadays when a vehicle is passed into a scrap yard / recyclers to be scrapped, the breaker is obliged to notify the DVLA that it is being broken. They do this over the internet using the registration number and DVLA then put a 'scrap marker' against that reg no. This marker is known as the COD and is logged to stop the identity being used on a stolen vehicle or similar.

Now to what I did. Some of you will have read about X702UOK, the Tourer which had been scrapped and a COD issued by DVLA, but has recently been reversed without any real problems

My initial contact with DVLA was to send in the following:

a) Letter explaining the situation and that I wished for the COD to be reversed, giving details of when and where car purchased.
b) Copy receipt from the breaker, showing car sold as spares.
c) Copies of service history book, old tax discs, etc. and anything else available which proves your cars identity.
d) Photos showing vehicle exterior, interior, engine bay.
e) Photos of all chassis number stamps (engine bay, windscreen & pillar plates).

You should also complete and send in a V62 form (application for a reg doc) along with the fee - I didn't do this initially as all I was trying to do was get the car put back into the system, however they sent everything back asking for it, which caused additional delay.

Once this was with DVLA, the process was complete within a couple of days and the reg doc arrived the following week - overall taking about 5 weeks (but could of saved maybe a fortnight if V62 and £25 had been sent originally...).

Anyhow, the main point of interest here was when I was talking to DVLA, I queried whether this reversal process was a common thing, as I'd understood it couldn't be done ?

She said that in the past it had been a non-reversible action, but the breakers often enter incorrect reg numbers by mistake (and hence end up applying a scrap marker to a car that's still out running around ) so DVLA had to change things to make their system allow for a reversal. I got the distinct impression that they are doing this all day and as long as sufficient evidence is provided to confirm the car is 'physical', then it's really no problem

Please remember, I cannot provide a 100% guarantee of success or that DVLA won't change the process at some point, but it worked for me and I'd happily do it again as they were really quite helpful.

So hope this helps someone else to save a good car, either on this forum or another. Good luck with it (pm me if you need any other info).

Paul.
Old 1st February 2015, 22:27   #2
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Thank you for this interesting item Paul. Well done.

I have stuck this for the time being as it may be of interest to save some scrapped cars. (As recent threads testify)

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 02:53   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

This is hoping that the "scrappy" goes along with it before actually splitting or crunching it.
Thanks for the thread.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 11:45   #4
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Well done, so your treasured find can remain with its original number then?
Regards John.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:31   #5
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

The problem is that a Certificate of Destruction should only be issued by the scrappy when the vehicle is actually destroyed, what some of them are doing is issuing the certificate 'in advance'.

What should happen is that if a vehicle is taken to be scrapped, and is destroyed there and then, a COD should be issued at that time.
If it is to be destroyed some time later (as apparently happened to the OP's car), the Registered Keeper follows the V5C 'Transferred to the Trade' procedure and the scrappy issues the COD later, when it is actually destroyed.

So in theory, no vehicle should exist (as such) if a COD has been issued for it, but luckily it appears that if it can be shown that the COD has been issued in error, the DVLA will cancel it.
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 17:30   #6
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

Raykay, I'm sure you are probably right.

It would make life much easier if they did it this way, but the impression I get is that they notify DVLA as soon as the car comes in - probably to avoid one getting missed later on. I guess it's unheard of for them to ever sell a vehicle to put back on the road.

Here you go John H (not fitted yet as just collected them and it's freezing outside ):

2015-02-02 17.10.45.jpg

But actually, I'm now looking at the pic and isn't the rear one for a Jaguar X-Type...
Old 4th February 2015, 08:22   #7
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

Checked against the car and the rear plate is completely wrong...

Spoke to the supplier (who then spoke to their supplier) and apparently the 75 rears are 'on back order' - sign of the times I suppose !! But as they didn't have any, they thought they'd make it up on what looked closest

However, they've promised to make a correct replacement later this week when the blanks arrive in. Now, who wants to bet it'll arrive with the wrong reg...
Old 4th February 2015, 17:21   #8
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
The following might help other members who have previously thought that a certificate of destruction (or COD) cannot be reversed - it can.

All of this is to the best of my knowledge, so please feel free to correct me on any points

Firstly, for those who aren't familiar with this, nowadays when a vehicle is passed into a scrap yard / recyclers to be scrapped, the breaker is obliged to notify the DVLA that it is being broken. They do this over the internet using the registration number and DVLA then put a 'scrap marker' against that reg no. This marker is known as the COD and is logged to stop the identity being used on a stolen vehicle or similar.

Now to what I did. Some of you will have read about X702UOK, the Tourer which had been scrapped and a COD issued by DVLA, but has recently been reversed without any real problems

My initial contact with DVLA was to send in the following:

a) Letter explaining the situation and that I wished for the COD to be reversed, giving details of when and where car purchased.
b) Copy receipt from the breaker, showing car sold as spares.
c) Copies of service history book, old tax discs, etc. and anything else available which proves your cars identity.
d) Photos showing vehicle exterior, interior, engine bay.
e) Photos of all chassis number stamps (engine bay, windscreen & pillar plates).

You should also complete and send in a V62 form (application for a reg doc) along with the fee - I didn't do this initially as all I was trying to do was get the car put back into the system, however they sent everything back asking for it, which caused additional delay.

Once this was with DVLA, the process was complete within a couple of days and the reg doc arrived the following week - overall taking about 5 weeks (but could of saved maybe a fortnight if V62 and £25 had been sent originally...).

Anyhow, the main point of interest here was when I was talking to DVLA, I queried whether this reversal process was a common thing, as I'd understood it couldn't be done ?

She said that in the past it had been a non-reversible action, but the breakers often enter incorrect reg numbers by mistake (and hence end up applying a scrap marker to a car that's still out running around ) so DVLA had to change things to make their system allow for a reversal. I got the distinct impression that they are doing this all day and as long as sufficient evidence is provided to confirm the car is 'physical', then it's really no problem

Please remember, I cannot provide a 100% guarantee of success or that DVLA won't change the process at some point, but it worked for me and I'd happily do it again as they were really quite helpful.

So hope this helps someone else to save a good car, either on this forum or another. Good luck with it (pm me if you need any other info).

Paul.
That's interesting to know , I always thought the DVLA were a "computer says no " type of organisation
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 19:55   #9
Ratty
I'll do it Dreckly

MG ZTT CDTI Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto

A good result Paul, May help to save a few more cars.
Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2015, 20:09   #10
tonybubble
ZT, 75 & 260 Rescue

2002 MG ZT 260 (007), 2003 MG ZT-T 260 SE, 2004 75 CDTI Tourer

A few years ago, I managed to achieve the same with this:

Scrapping garage had used it as a skip. Fitted a TF135 engine and it went very well.
I counted them in and I counted them out (with apologies to Brian Hanrahan) - 005, 007, 019, 051, 103, 288, 354, 455, 577, 700 - the story continues. http://www9.mg-cars.org.uk/mgoc260/f...lies/smile.png

tonybubble is offline   Reply With Quote