Notices

Old 15th February 2020, 11:02   #21
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
My wifes daughter rents a room in a house in Crouch End with 5 others, they pay nearly £600 each plus bills and they have just been told the rent is going up £50 a month each . The house is in need of major updating and the boiler only works if you reset the trip at least a couple of times a day. The landlord wont do anything about it as he has plenty of others that will move in if they are not happy.
5 people at £600 could they not find somewhere else and report the landlord? Supply and demand, puts them between a rock and a hard place
Is there a letting agency? Have they a lease they could use in a court case?

Does the council run a scheme where the landlord has to register?
Not sure what the council do or what the landlord gets but Peterborough have such a scheme and it costs landlords some £900. No idea what happens if landlord does not register

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 11:10   #22
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
5 people at £600 could they not find somewhere else and report the landlord? Supply and demand, puts them between a rock and a hard place
Is there a letting agency? Have they a lease they could use in a court case?

macafee2
It is done through an agency and they are worse than useless, they threatened to all leave unless he did something and kept the rent as it was and he had replied '' move then''. They are all struggling to find some where else as convenient for there work but she is looking. She has found a place but is more money and only enough room for 3 of them but is a lot newer.

I am glad I don't rent in London, it sounds terrible.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 11:57   #23
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
It is done through an agency and they are worse than useless, they threatened to all leave unless he did something and kept the rent as it was and he had replied '' move then''. They are all struggling to find some where else as convenient for there work but she is looking. She has found a place but is more money and only enough room for 3 of them but is a lot newer.

I am glad I don't rent in London, it sounds terrible.
I hate landlords like that and hope they can find somewhere else.

Is there a gas safety certificate for the boiler?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 12:45   #24
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post

Is there a gas safety certificate for the boiler?

macafee2
Funny thing is I asked exactly the same question and there is. The fact the boiler will work for a while means it was probably working while the safety check was being carried out is my guess. It usually trips out if the heating is on and somebody runs a bath, a kitchen tap is fine? It does not look that old but I have never heard of the make ( it begins with an F and sounds Italian) and it does not look big enough for a house of that size.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2020, 12:52   #25
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Names like Perec "Peter" Rachman come to mind but current experiences in the market are a world away from those horrors.

In the end it is a result of inflation in the housing market, whether it be either ownership or rental. There has been a massive increase in "private" landlords, thanks largely to increasing values of the private market fuelled by the same monetary ambitions that now give rise to soaring rents. It's the same old story, if you can't afford the rents where you want to live - move elsewhere. It's never been any different but the decline in local council building is the major cause of the present difficulty, not necessarily bad landlords.