Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th May 2017, 17:58   #1
filandeb

75 tourer

Default 75 Instrument cluster

Has anyone taken an instrument cluster apart? If so are the pointers for the 4 dials removable. I need to get at the PCB underneath to clean up the LCD display connector. Got the cluster mostly apart but when I try to remove the black plastic back cover, it is obviously trying to pull the pointers through the dials. The obvious solution would be to get the pointers off. I've had a gentle try to lever them off but they aren't interested. I can't see anything obvious to unclip. I don't want to try too hard in case I break something...also although all the dials seem to have end stops, that don't appear to be related to the pointers themselves, I am concerned that if I do get them off, I won't be able to get them back in the right position.
Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.
filandeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 18:15   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Have a word with Klarzy or RikSta
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 18:35   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

I think this is kalrzy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zuler2bruk

this shows how to strip the instrument panel down

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 18:49   #4
filandeb

75 tourer

Many thanks both.
filandeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 20:43   #5
MarkS
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Diesel Tourer, called Perseverance

Quote:
Originally Posted by filandeb View Post
Has anyone taken an instrument cluster apart? If so are the pointers for the 4 dials removable. I need to get at the PCB underneath to clean up the LCD display connector. Got the cluster mostly apart but when I try to remove the black plastic back cover, it is obviously trying to pull the pointers through the dials. The obvious solution would be to get the pointers off. I've had a gentle try to lever them off but they aren't interested. I can't see anything obvious to unclip. I don't want to try too hard in case I break something...also although all the dials seem to have end stops, that don't appear to be related to the pointers themselves, I am concerned that if I do get them off, I won't be able to get them back in the right position.
Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.
Getting the pointers off is easy, getting them back in the correct positions is much harder.

I strongly suggest (from bitter experience) to connect up the instrument cluster to the car without the clear cover fitted, turn the ignition switch to run (but don't start the car), then turn the ignition switch off, THEN fit the 4 pointers in the zero positions.

It took me several attempts before the speedo and the tachometer gave accurate figures. With the large numbers of speed cameras around, getting the speedo pointer in the wrong position could get very expensive in speeding fines.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 04:52   #6
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Getting the pointers off is easy, getting them back in the correct positions is much harder.

I strongly suggest (from bitter experience) to connect up the instrument cluster to the car without the clear cover fitted, turn the ignition switch to run (but don't start the car), then turn the ignition switch off, THEN fit the 4 pointers in the zero positions.

It took me several attempts before the speedo and the tachometer gave accurate figures. With the large numbers of speed cameras around, getting the speedo pointer in the wrong position could get very expensive in speeding fines.
I recently took mine apart to have a go at a deline (which failed). When I took the pointers off I noted the original position and put them back on in the same place. When I put it all back together, they were the same as before. Might have been luck, but it seemed that if your careful replacing them in the same position you should be OK.
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 07:37   #7
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Getting the pointers off is easy, getting them back in the correct positions is much harder

Temperature and fuel gauges are moving coil so you simply fit the pointers at the zero position.
Tachometer and speedometer are stepper motors, and the pointers are fitted at the zero position with power applied as you say with ignition in position 2 if doing it on the car.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote