Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th September 2007, 10:31   #1
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Arrow Removing Mk. 4 Head Unit (All models)

Folks,
can anyone help me?

I installed a Mk 4 head unit recently but managed to drop one of the mounting screws down the side. I am unable to get enough access to remove the screw to remove it with the unit in place and am having problems removing the unit itself.

The unit was a tight fit on entry (so no rattles) and at first glance I thought that the lower side springy fittings would just need a smooth flat implement inserted down the side behind the screen when it is elevated. However, using strips of an old plastic card (as suggested elsewhere) didn't work and one is still there. It might just have been too short, but I'm now having doubts as to whether there is a lip in the way or not.

Can anyone let me know definitively how to retract the side fittings (some pics. would be really useful) and where to pull it the unit if it is still to stiff to move easily?

Is there an installation guide somewhere here covering the Mk. 4 head unit that might have pics & enough info to work it out?

All help appreciated,

Kearton
Kearton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 13:34   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Slightly confused Kearton (most probally jet lag )
The Mk4 normally relates to the Computer the DVD Unit not the Head Unit with TV screen.
If we are talking Head Unit are you using 4:3 Screen or 16:9 screen? as the later does need some slight modification before mounting into our cars, but the Computer units are straight swaps.
If you could just Clarify so we are talking about the same thing.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 15:44   #3
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Slightly confused Kearton (most probally jet lag )
The Mk4 normally relates to the Computer the DVD Unit not the Head Unit with TV screen.
If we are talking Head Unit are you using 4:3 Screen or 16:9 screen? as the later does need some slight modification before mounting into our cars, but the Computer units are straight swaps.
If you could just Clarify so we are talking about the same thing.
Hi JohnDotCom,
sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about the 16:9 head unit with moving screen. The unit had previously been installed in a Rover 75 and the bracket at the top modified to remove the protruding bits.

When I installed it I just pushed it in. I noticed two flexible, tapering, metal fittings on either side which looked as if they would have to be pulled in to allow release for extraction. I guessed that this would be done by pushing long flat implements down the sides of the unit, after raising the screen. However, I did not confirm this before inserting it.

I tried using strips of a plastic card, but these did not work. Is there an alternative way?

Thanks in advance,
Kearton
Old 8th September 2007, 17:54   #4
Simon
Banned

-

In theory a cut up credit card (length ways) ought to give you the desired length, however I have noticed that they do bend a rather lot and so may not be strong enough to move the metal flanges.

If you have another suitable (stiffer) material to hand then I'd suggest trying that, if all else fails then you may have to buy some pre-fabricated stereo pullers (although, most are made of aluminium which in itself is pretty bendy...)

On my stereo unit (Symphony) I've decided to bend the metal flanges sufficiently to allow me to pull the radio out without the need for the credit card trick. Depending on what other support your head unit has, you may be able to do the same to yours in order to facilitate future removal.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2007, 19:49   #5
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Hi,
Is the lost screw causing a problem?? Would it not be OK to take the screw you've got and buy another?? Or am I missing something??

Regards
Old 9th September 2007, 12:10   #6
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontie View Post
Hi,
Is the lost screw causing a problem?? Would it not be OK to take the screw you've got and buy another?? Or am I missing something??

Regards
Hi Jontie,
the screw rattles sometimes, but I will need to remove the unit at some point, so I'd rather know how to do it now.

regasrds,
Old 9th September 2007, 12:45   #7
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kearton View Post
Hi Jontie,
the screw rattles sometimes, but I will need to remove the unit at some point, so I'd rather know how to do it now.

regasrds,
Desperation stakes? Remove the climate control unit (4 screws), and the switch bank below (plus the ashtray if required). Use a torch to look up under the base of the unit - iirc you will be able to reach and compress the metal clips.

hth

Mike
Old 9th September 2007, 15:21   #8
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Hi Kearton,
I watch with interest. I've also fitted the 16:9 widescreen and assumed that the credit card trick would work, but, as yet, I haven't needed to remove it. I must say that the system on the 4x3 with cables released by turning a screw is far better!! Best of luck!!!

Regards
Old 9th October 2007, 22:45   #9
Kearton
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T CDTi

Update

Well I decided to try some smoothed-off junior hacksaw blades as a stiffer alternative. This didn't worked at first attempt. I realised that I wasn't sure exactly where to insert them, but a few different attemps didn't seem to work. I can think of two possible reasons:-
(i) the junior hacksaw blades, whilst longer & stiffer (ooh, err, missus), are not deep enough;
(ii) the head unit was a very tight fit when I inserted it, so friction could be holding it in; or
(iii) both of the above.

If it is (i), I could try using a full-sized hacksaw blade (Alternatives?). If it is (ii), I may need to make some form of puller / grip to help pull it out; or find some way to remove the heater control unit first (see below).

Regarding removing the heater controls & ash tray, I looked it up on the RAVE manual and the instructions for doing this said to remove the head unt first. :-(

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Kearton
Old 10th October 2007, 21:33   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

You needed to reduce the width of the two top screw fixings holes otherwise it will be too tight pushing it in.

To get it out same as fitting use two teaspoons pushed over the fixings to protect the vinyl then pull the lower clips don't do anything

if still difficult take the ATC panel out, dead easy pull off front bezel then remove four screws
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote