Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th January 2018, 14:59   #1
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts
Question Steering wheel alignment.

When driving straight ahead, wheel pointing to 1 o,clock. Would bad tracking do this much,or do i need to re-align wheel.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 15:37   #2
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
When driving straight ahead, wheel pointing to 1 o,clock. Would bad tracking do this much,or do i need to re-align wheel.
A better indicator will be to check the tyre wear on all 4 wheels. If there is evidence of uneven wear on any of them then tracking is needed and the steering wheel alignment will get sorted at the same time.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 22:04   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Another possibility. The steering wheel can be 'out' if it wasn't locked in the straight ahead position before the tracking was last adjusted. The tracking can be correct but the steering wheel can be wrong if that isn't done. A good tracking depot can sort it for you.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 01:33   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Another possibility. The steering wheel can be 'out' if it wasn't locked in the straight ahead position before the tracking was last adjusted. The tracking can be correct but the steering wheel can be wrong if that isn't done. A good tracking depot can sort it for you.

TC
if the rack isn't centered during tracking then the tracking will only be correct when driving straight ahead. The wheels alignment to each other changes as the car steers (to allow for the different radius each wheel must follow in a turn).

On our cars, like many - the steering stem has a punch mark to align the steering wheel. Provided that hasn't been messed up (or the steering stem to rack alignment!) then centering the wheel before adjusting the front tracking will result in correct tracking across the full steering range.

What I'm saying is, if the steering wheel is off straight when driving straight ahead - but the tracking is 'correct'* ... it's not: it could be more 'correct'.

n.b. only talking about front wheel tracking here. If the rear's are wrong, especially the thrust angle then it'll crab up the road sideways whatever you do with the front. With the steering wheel turned counter to the crab it'll go in a straight line. Plus with the wheel at 1 o'clock it'll steer in quicker to the left than the right.

I've exaggerated the effect a little - if the steering wheel is only slightly off the majority won't notice an effect on the turn-in itself. The more it's off center the greater the effect though. I'd think that 1 o'clock is too much.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 05:02   #5
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi, wondering if the track rod end is worn on that side, if the problem has just come to light so to speak..might be worth jacking it up and having a look..have read on the forum of track rods collapsing.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 07:19   #6
handyjackdaniels
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 v6 in firefrost red

I have the same issue with mine, when I put the steering wheel back on I put the wheels straight and lined up the two notches to the wheel and column, then tightened it up.

Thought that lining the notches up would have been okay, but not so!

Steve.
Old 12th January 2018, 07:23   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
On our cars, like many - the steering stem has a punch mark to align the steering wheel.
I didn't know this. Can you give me a bit more detail please Avulon?
By 'stem' do you mean the end of the steering column on which the steering wheel is fixed?
Where exactly is this punch mark?
Is there a similar mark on the steering wheel with which to align the punch mark?

Looking forward to your reply.

Simon
Old 12th January 2018, 07:37   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I didn't know this. Can you give me a bit more detail please Avulon?
By 'stem' do you mean the end of the steering column on which the steering wheel is fixed?
Where exactly is this punch mark?
Is there a similar mark on the steering wheel with which to align the punch mark?

Looking forward to your reply.

Simon
It's not a pinpunch Simon, it's an index line on the wheel, which aligns with a corresponding line on the splined top of the column shaft.

If you look closely, you will see the absence of a spline internally within the wheel boss too

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wheeel hub.jpg (137.4 KB, 79 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 07:56   #9
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I would suggest you take your car and get the tracking checked in case a winter pot hole has knocked something out. If it is 100% correct most places wont charge but if it is out at least you wont waist a set of front tyres and they should get the wheel straight again.

Avoid Halfords and Quickfit as they will often find it is out even if not if you see what I mean, I suggest a local independent if you have one locally?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2018, 18:17   #10
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I would suggest you take your car and get the tracking checked in case a winter pot hole has knocked something out. If it is 100% correct most places wont charge but if it is out at least you wont waist a set of front tyres and they should get the wheel straight again.

Avoid Halfords and Quickfit as they will often find it is out even if not if you see what I mean, I suggest a local independent if you have one locally?
Hi, just in passing, wife had a renault laguna and at the time was doing 300/500 miles per week with her job, I took the car for front tyres and had some good tyres fitted, at the same time had the car tracked, in weeks both front tyres had run of on one side..checking the steering there was a fault, the garage said : with the fault it would have been impossible to track the front wheels..rip off or what?
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote