Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Was it you?
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th July 2009, 16:40   #11
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

My take on the V5 is...

Ownership is exchanged using the V5. If you have the V5 paperwork it doesn't mean it's yours until the it's signed by the previous owner and the new owner. Once it's back at the DVLA offices they update the records and send out the new copy to the new owner.

It would still need the previous owner signature. God knows what he's doing with the paperwork if it is abandoned. Probably declaring it SORN each year and staying the registered owner for eternity. Unless he faked a disposal signature.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 18:22   #12
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantianak View Post
My take on the V5 is...

Ownership is exchanged using the V5. If you have the V5 paperwork it doesn't mean it's yours until the it's signed by the previous owner and the new owner. Once it's back at the DVLA offices they update the records and send out the new copy to the new owner.

It would still need the previous owner signature. God knows what he's doing with the paperwork if it is abandoned. Probably declaring it SORN each year and staying the registered owner for eternity. Unless he faked a disposal signature.
I haven't checked the wording recently, but the V5 used to specifically say that it only recorded the registered keeper, and this was not neccesarily the legal owner. So unless something changed, what you've said isn't the case.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 19:09   #13
mantianak
I really should get out more.......

ZT 190+ Saloon

I see your point now. Worth looking into I think.
mantianak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 07:33   #14
talkingcars

MGZS180,MGZR160,MaestroT16

If the car is on private property you can do the following.

Apply to DVLA for details of the owner saying the car has been abandoned on your property. There is a small fee.

Contact the owner in writing advising them that the car is on your property and you are going to charge them for it's return. There is a legally set scale of charges which I think is £12 a day storage, £105 for towing.

At the same time advise them that if they don't want to collect you can dispose of the car if they sign the V5 over to you.

I did this once on an old VW camper that had been abandoned in a council car park for 2 weeks.
talkingcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 09:34   #15
The Yellow Peril
Posted a thing or two

Primrose Yellow 75 V6 Conn SE

Default Update

The care was removed on Monday morning. It was there on Sunday night, but when I left for work on Monday - with a cunning plan, it had gone, so either the owner moved it or something else.....

Oh well!

Andy
Lovingly cared for, since 2000
The Yellow Peril is offline   Reply With Quote