Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th July 2012, 16:07   #51
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
After much playing around and loading different OS I don't think the Pi will be up to being a media centre in the car.

I tried Squeeze Wheezy and Rasbian. and Rasbian+Mate.

I see the official site now recomends Rasbian Wheezy and that is what I ended up with. I managed to get VLC on it but it just wouldn't play video although it was obviously trying. I mounted a USB stick with some effort but it would not play from there either. This coupled with the long winded mounting of USB sticks and pedestrian web browsing make it a non starter really. Oh well it kept me amused for a while. I did get it to view photographs.

So it looks like a digital tv box in the boot and and my netbook in the glove box.

On another note, I had to use the monitor from my main PC on the Pi, this meant for every day use I had to use an old pentium 4 machine loaded with the Mint (Maya) flavour of Linux. It was a delight, I'd recommend it to anyone.
I am a big fan of Linux mint have been for years it is easy to use and you don't have to worry about finding drivers, you can plug the hard drive into another machine and it will just work. Unlike that other popular opperating system that is issued to the general public with more bugs than a tropical rain forest
Anthony & Maricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 16:21   #52
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
After much playing around and loading different OS I don't think the Pi will be up to being a media centre in the car.

I tried Squeeze Wheezy and Rasbian. and Rasbian+Mate.

I see the official site now recomends Rasbian Wheezy and that is what I ended up with. I managed to get VLC on it but it just wouldn't play video although it was obviously trying. I mounted a USB stick with some effort but it would not play from there either. This coupled with the long winded mounting of USB sticks and pedestrian web browsing make it a non starter really. Oh well it kept me amused for a while. I did get it to view photographs.

So it looks like a digital tv box in the boot and and my netbook in the glove box.

On another note, I had to use the monitor from my main PC on the Pi, this meant for every day use I had to use an old pentium 4 machine loaded with the Mint (Maya) flavour of Linux. It was a delight, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Did you try XBMC? That was my plan.
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 17:40   #53
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperGB View Post
Did you try XBMC? That was my plan.
No I didn't. as I wanted other aspects of the pi as well as a media centre. Phenonix tried it (post 41), not sure how responsive it would be maybe he can let us know.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 20:57   #54
phenonix
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2001 Club Sedan V6 2.5

Yes, i kind of gave up as well, i got the Ddin in anyway , modded for the internet, so don't need anything else, hoping there is something i can use it for that i haven't thought about, just so i have another gadget in the car to play with.
phenonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 14:23   #55
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Well I sold my Pi for a bit more than I paid for it.

My sat nav now seems to have given up but this has happened before and then started working again. I looked into getting another MKIII satnav unit but they are silly money. Then I thought I might as well get a tom tom or similar. Whilst looking into satnavs I got the idea of maybe using a tablet instead. I am now looking at the Google nexus 7. Phew.

A 7 inch tablet would be vey handy and you can get a dash mount, also you can take it with you for use when you get out. The navigation on the Nexus uses googlemaps in an offline mode so it may be a little limited as to the size of the map.

I shall continue to look into it.

Oh the tablet is £150 to £200 depending on memory.

Any thoughts any one?

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2012, 17:40   #56
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Did anyone ever find a "Carputer" type use for the Rasberry Pi, or are they all in the hobby cupboards?

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:49   #57
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
Did anyone ever find a "Carputer" type use for the Rasberry Pi, or are they all in the hobby cupboards?
CD changer emulator, currently with upwards of 72hrs of music loaded . Still in the beta stage, but used it all the way to M'boro and back over the weekend. Much better than having to put up with whatever happens to be on the radio, or fiddling with tapes. It's just so much better when every track that gets played is something you like from your own collection - and none of that talking or advert rubbish you get on the radio (especially at weekends).

(I must add that I am a software programmer, and a techy nerd as well!)

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:23   #58
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

Cool I like it, I am a repair tech I have not done much with mine at the moment.
Anthony & Maricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:46   #59
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Thanks, when I've sorted out a couple of bugs that prevent it working correctly if the engine is started before switching to CD mode, I'll post some further info.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 13:55   #60
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

***Thread Revival Warning***

After quite some time, I decided to get a Raspberry Pi, not for the car, but for home.

My Xbox decided to go kaput on me, and to be honest, I hardly played games on it, and used it more as a Media Center.

On top of which, I find the connection to a PC (via Zune) to be hit and miss, so instead bought a ready made Pi Media Bundle off eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231115040511

Have to say, its really quite good, the default apps let you access pretty much what you want, some things take some finding like live football etc, but its there if you look hard enough.

So far, well worth the money.

Simon