Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th October 2020, 10:23   #1
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Default New JLR Boss considering slashing the JLR range

The Sunday Times says the new CEO at JLR is looking at ditching its forthcoming electric XJ saloon, as well as the XE and XF saloons and the Discovery Sport SUV and a Jaguar SUV due to poor sales and losses in the Jaguar arm of the business. Apparently he wants to take Jaguar more up market to take on Tesla in the longer term.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 10:58   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Jaguar should indeed be a more upmarket brand. Currently their interiors do not ooozzzeee class.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 11:57   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

There dealers also need a lesson in customer service.

A friend bought an 18 month old XJ from a main dealer and after a couple of days the bulb warning light popped on every time he applied the brakes even though all the brake lights were working.

He had to go in for them to update something the next week and he mentioned it to the engineer, he said he would take a look while it was in the workshop.

He waited in the waiting room for the 20 mins it was going to take.

The car was brought back to him with the update completed and the engineer said he had replaced one of the bulbs for him. He had to sign for the update and when he was about to leave the receptionist handed him a bill for £140 Apparently that was for the bulb (LED) and the labour. Apparently bulbs are not covered under the warranty and the minimum labour charge us one hour.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 17:41   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Prices of second-hand Jgs 10 to 20 years old are shooting up, and I am not surprised. Today's offerings don't look like Jaguars, and don't ooze the class any more, and their parts are both difficult to come by quickly and very expensive!
I shall keep my current stock, but I have no further desire to buy any newer than my 2009.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 19:26   #5
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

I don't expect the XE and XF to be directly replaced. The F-Pace seems to be selling well, the E-Pace not so much. Odd how the new electric XJ is at risk.

The current range is decent but very 'me too' as JLR has sought to follow the format of its German competitors, presumably to emulate their success, but sadly it's not working. A move to become a British Tesla would be a good one.
Old 18th October 2020, 20:28   #6
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
There dealers also need a lesson in customer service.

A friend bought an 18 month old XJ from a main dealer and after a couple of days the bulb warning light popped on every time he applied the brakes even though all the brake lights were working.

He had to go in for them to update something the next week and he mentioned it to the engineer, he said he would take a look while it was in the workshop.

He waited in the waiting room for the 20 mins it was going to take.

The car was brought back to him with the update completed and the engineer said he had replaced one of the bulbs for him. He had to sign for the update and when he was about to leave the receptionist handed him a bill for £140 Apparently that was for the bulb (LED) and the labour. Apparently bulbs are not covered under the warranty and the minimum labour charge us one hour.
Surprised thr Labour charge was that low at a JLR dealer, some charge up to £225 an hour, which is laughable... Bulbs aren't typically under any warranty, however I would have refused to pay it as they hadn't stated it was charged works
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2020, 20:40   #7
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I'm very sorry to say this but until Jaguar start delivering on reliability and customer service they'll struggle. For me they're not, or shouldn't be, in the "general" car market but in the "prestige" one and should be absolutely spot on with everything.

Just think about the general public's view of BL/Rover/MG etc. Yes, WE know it isn't all it's made out to be BUT look what happened to them.

Have a look at the Which? reliability data. The "best" new Jaguar is the ZF Sportbrake from 2016 to date and gets 3 stars. The worst Lexus are the IS & NX with 4 stars and every other one gets the maximum 5 stars.

Oddly enough the BMW 5 series from 2017 only gets 3 stars while the Merc E class from 2016 gets 3 start also. So the thing about German reliability doesn't seem to hold water. Or are they all too clever and gizmo loaded for their own good?

BUT ask a member of the general public and what will they say? Oh yes, German engineering - excellent cars and very reliable.

The best Tesla is the Model 3 which gets.......3 stars while the "S" and "X" get just a single star.

So competing with Tesla on reliability shouldn't be a problem .

Currently made, up to 3 year old cars with the Which? full 5 stars are:

Hyundai i20
Kia Stonic
Lexus CT200h
Lexus RX
Mazda CX3
Mazda MX5 & 5RF
MINI Clubman
Toyota Prius and Plug in Prius
Toyota RAV4
Toyota Yaris & Yaris hybrid
Vauxhall Crossland X

Anyone notice a general trend here?

As in no Audi's, BMW's, Merc's, VW's. Nothing German at all and no Honda's, Skoda's (VAG) or Volvo's either.

Nothing French or Italian - why am I not surprised with that .

It's a bit weird but there's more range of makes/models in the 3-8 year old bracket with 5 stars. Back to new stuff being too clever for it's own good?

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 18th October 2020 at 21:01..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 06:03   #8
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

I do diagnostics as a second job and Im often asked "what are the best cars out there?".
I very rarely go to Japanese cars or Korean cars. I go to loads of BMWs and Mercs especially the A class Merc or (a posh version of the Megan") so Im told. The A class has a seat occupancy pad under the passenger seat cover and they are always failing and lighting the dash up like a Christmas tree. £600 odd for the new pad and about 3 hours labour to strip the seat back and replace it.
Peugeots, Renaults and Citroen are so over engineered they are a nightmare. In general most run of the mill cars start failing once over 6 years old.
My sister had a new 2016 Evoque and when she had its first Mot at 41k miles it failed on all discs were corroded, oil leak from the ad blue tank and a leak on the gearbox!
Luckily done before the warranty was out apart from the discs and pads which they wanted £1200 to do and I had them done for £550.
The problem now is all cars are so fully loaded with complicated systems any small job can be expensive and needs a garage with all the equipment to do the job and code in the new parts etc.
Ive just bought a Nissan Pixo of my friends 84 year old mother, 2009 35k miles, 3 cylinder 67 bhp engine, chain driven I believe, no central locking, no electric windows just power steering and ABS and a radio. £20 a year road tax and nothing to go wrong lol! Sounds like a lawn mower but plenty of poke for a small engine but the weird thing is listening to the engine as you drive I can never tell if im in 5th gear of 3rd!
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 06:58   #9
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

JLR have left it way too late to get re-tooled for electrification, They had all their eggs in one basket with diesel engines and have no meaningful battery supply, even their i-pace is battery constrained.
TaTa motors have just refused bail out money from the UK government as there would have been "Green Strings" attached to decarbonise their fleet. I'm not sure where they think their market would be with ever strengthening emission limits over the next decade! https://www.autonews.com/automakers-...gh-report-says

I'm not surprised they're slashing their range as the sales of sedans in the USA have tanked & they're also inline for big EU fines because they wont make the emissions targets by the end of the year. https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/v...c.php?p=117315

Mercedes Benz have recently announced they are slashing their range of internal combustion engins by 70% too.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2020, 07:50   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
I do diagnostics as a second job and Im often asked "what are the best cars out there?".
I very rarely go to Japanese cars or Korean cars. I go to loads of BMWs and Mercs especially the A class Merc or (a posh version of the Megan") so Im told. The A class has a seat occupancy pad under the passenger seat cover and they are always failing and lighting the dash up like a Christmas tree. £600 odd for the new pad and about 3 hours labour to strip the seat back and replace it.
Peugeots, Renaults and Citroen are so over engineered they are a nightmare. In general most run of the mill cars start failing once over 6 years old.
My sister had a new 2016 Evoque and when she had its first Mot at 41k miles it failed on all discs were corroded, oil leak from the ad blue tank and a leak on the gearbox!
Luckily done before the warranty was out apart from the discs and pads which they wanted £1200 to do and I had them done for £550.
The problem now is all cars are so fully loaded with complicated systems any small job can be expensive and needs a garage with all the equipment to do the job and code in the new parts etc.
Ive just bought a Nissan Pixo of my friends 84 year old mother, 2009 35k miles, 3 cylinder 67 bhp engine, chain driven I believe, no central locking, no electric windows just power steering and ABS and a radio. £20 a year road tax and nothing to go wrong lol! Sounds like a lawn mower but plenty of poke for a small engine but the weird thing is listening to the engine as you drive I can never tell if im in 5th gear of 3rd!
I don't think the cars electronics failing is in the mind of most people either they don't consider it, or they will be shot of the car in only a couple of years from new. Modern car electronics does come to my mind and it is scary. I don't think there are many forums that can boast the number of people with the diagnostic kit as this forum can. We are very lucky to have so many.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote