Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2019, 13:45   #11
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Couldn't you press the fan blade back on, mark the shaft just in front of the fan, drill a small hole through the shaft and put in a roll pin to stop the fan coming off again?
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the blades sit flush with the end of the spindle but I haven't quite given up yet. Where there's a ......

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 13:51   #12
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Steve, sorry no picture as I’d forgotten I’d already put the slam panel in place yesterday evening, but the cowling is original and you, if anyone, know what it looks like.

Checked the fan function with Toaf, superglue seems to be holding, tested low, medium & high with Toaf bearing in mine this is a 2 speed fan. Toaf activates the fan on all three settings but there is no audible difference in the low or medium setting, which settles that quirk.

I also tried drilling into the end of a dead fan spindle, the idea being perhaps it is possible to tap the spindle end and fit a small BA type bolt (like on my Bantam) and washer to secure the helicopter, while I wouldn’t say it was easy there was some progress. I’ve got an engineering shop just up the road might talk to them if the blades do their helicopter trip again. Shame to waste a 6 month old fan because of a poor design.

Regards
Old 7th June 2019, 15:35   #13
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Just to be safe, did you use a waterproof superglue (yes they exist). As a non-waterproof one will eventually give out if wet (and the fans get wet when it rains) YMMV.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 16:54   #14
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks, never heard of waterproof before must check the tube, but I didn't peel the big white centre sticker completely off the fan blades, rather just enough to see the spindle was flush with the centre of the blades and then flatten the sticker over its previous position. Hopefully that'll provide some protection.

Regards
Old 7th June 2019, 18:40   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Steve, sorry no picture as I’d forgotten I’d already put the slam panel in place yesterday evening, but the cowling is original and you, if anyone, know what it looks like.

Checked the fan function with Toaf, superglue seems to be holding, tested low, medium & high with Toaf bearing in mine this is a 2 speed fan. Toaf activates the fan on all three settings but there is no audible difference in the low or medium setting, which settles that quirk.

Quote:
I also tried drilling into the end of a dead fan spindle, the idea being perhaps it is possible to tap the spindle end and fit a small BA type bolt (like on my Bantam) and washer to secure the helicopter, while I wouldn’t say it was easy there was some progress
. I’ve got an engineering shop just up the road might talk to them if the blades do their helicopter trip again. Shame to waste a 6 month old fan because of a poor design.

Regards
Hi Mike.
I would say that is the way forward drilling the spindle with a 3mm drill and use a self taper with a decent washer add a little bit of Loctite into the drilled hole before screwing in the self taper, do let us know how you get on. cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 19:06   #16
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Personally, I'd wait till the superglue fix pops its clogs. It might last longer than anyone expects. I suspect the spindle will have a hard temper and difficult to do much with. Maybe not, but I think my next bodge would be to grind a very small flat (or two or three) on the shaft and repeat the superglue treatment. Adding extra glue to fill the spaces should provide extra support for the startup shear on the joint. Presumably, these fans are generally fit for purpose and this one is simply a bad egg?

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 7th June 2019 at 19:08..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 19:26   #17
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

My fan mounting has been held on my Bosch motor shaft with a single grub screw and super glue for around 9-10 years

C
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 19:33   #18
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for the replies. I’ve put everything back together for the time being and as T-Cut says the superglue treatment might last longer than expected. Indeed Ceedy’s post suggests it might.

Steve, as I mentioned I explored drilling the spindle and while not impossible it is tough, not as tough as the two Torx on top of the headlamp panel, but a challenge.

If as the Nick the helpful ebay seller mentions he has sold over 200 with no problems, I guess I’ve just been unlucky but this seems to be the first anyone on here has heard of this type of flange, if you can call a not overly tight press fit fitting a flange.

Time will indeed tell, and I’ll report back if any new issues arise, thanks again.

Regards