Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th November 2019, 16:21   #1
stevehotshot
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE tourer

Default DMF conversion to solid

Hi everyone, has anyone had experience of driving rover cdt after converting to a solid flywheel... I expect my clutch to start slipping within the next 6 months due to the mileage, and on researching prices, there is £200-300 difference in the complete kits of DMF and solid...? If there is a discernable lack of smoothness with the solid flywheel then I would proceed with the DMF... many thanks for any advice...
stevehotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 16:33   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehotshot View Post
Hi everyone, has anyone had experience of driving rover cdt after converting to a solid flywheel... I expect my clutch to start slipping within the next 6 months due to the mileage, and on researching prices, there is £200-300 difference in the complete kits of DMF and solid...? If there is a discernable lack of smoothness with the solid flywheel then I would proceed with the DMF... many thanks for any advice...
Why are you replacing the DMF? General consensus seems to suggest this is unnecessary for most people.

Apparently though it is a bad idea to replace the dmf with a smf. I have no experience other than what I have read, so cannot give a reason why from experience, but imagine that vibration would be greatly increased, which could lead to reducing the life of other components. A search of the forum will yield lots of responses (and arguments lol) about it.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 18:37   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Ask your self a few simple questions,

1 Why was the car fitted with a DMF from the factory

2 How much research did Rover do to decide to fit a DMF

2 And why fit a more expensive unit If a Solid Flywheel would do?

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 19:31   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

They are harsh, heavy and unpleasant to use.

It also carried the risk of snapping the crankshaft, I've encountered three diesels with snapped crankshafts, all of which were fitted with single mass flywheel conversions.

I will allow you to draw your own conclusions from that

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2019, 20:14   #5
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

As Brian says, solid flywheels generally create vibrations that can transmit to the crank. Stick with a DMF

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 00:43   #6
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Interestingly, the original friction plate on my CDT, did not have rotational damper springs, so relying entirely on the DMF to take the shock out of a "dropped" clutch.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 09:49   #7
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehotshot View Post
Now Steve, she had one careful owner before your tenure up to 100k miles who was light on the clutch, so why would it start slipping all of a sudden?

Don’t go down the path of a solid flywheel to save a few quid it does not make sense
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 10:02   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Far more often it is the hydraulics that fail way before the clutch plate wears thin - the old clutch out of my 75 was well within the service limits when the gearbox was off to replace the slave cylinder, and is now installed in my Freelander when the slave went on that.

As for needing a new DMF, I have had one on long term test which has now covered over 400k miles, so hopefully there should be plenty of life left in yours Steve.

Easy enough to test for raidal and axial play once the box is off to check the condition of your DMF and decide whether it needs replacing or not.

Personally, on this engine, I wouldn't go down the single mass flywheel route, unless I was marinising it.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 10th November 2019 at 10:06..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 10:03   #9
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
As Brian says, solid flywheels generally create vibrations that can transmit to the crank. Stick with a DMF
I'm sure it's not vibrations as every other car with a solid flywheel would vibrate.--

A flywheel is designed to take the vibrations OUT not put them IN.----

The Rover crank is designed with the flywheel it has to reduce crank loading due to the damping effect of the dual mass flywheel. Without it the crank is exposed to loads it was not designed to take.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2019, 17:58   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
They are harsh, heavy and unpleasant to use.

It also carried the risk of snapping the crankshaft, I've encountered three diesels with snapped crankshafts, all of which were fitted with single mass flywheel conversions.

I will allow you to draw your own conclusions from that

Brian
One of the conclusions that was drawn was that they create Vibrations. ?????

Other folks conclusions are not quite the same as yours methinks. --Lol.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote