Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th November 2019, 18:13   #41
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Ive read all the forgoing and regarding the temperature displayed in the IPK which is the matter giving the most concern. I will ask the question and am happy to be shot down in flames - but can we rely on the accuracy of the figures displayed,

It's as accurate as MGR designed it and will be pretty good. Certainly within two degrees of actual and probably rather less. The ECU 'calculates' the display reading from the signal generated by the temperature sensor screwed into the engine near the thermostat housing. Temperature sensors are usually fault free, but if the reading displayed is obviously incorrect, it should be replaced. In your case, I reckon the reading is correct, but if you have a serious doubt, replace it.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2019, 20:38   #42
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Before dismissing or condemning anything, when talking about temps, load and distance travelled has a lot to do with things too.

When I leave my house for work, I will travel 5 miles to the 5 miles of motorway to my work, which is at the end of the motorway. Temp will show (both the bizzylizzy display and ipk) 86 in summer and 82 in winter at the start of motorway. This is same driving styles (its an auto too )and mainly 40 mph roads, after motorway it is 89 in summer and 92 in winter (in summer it opens half way down the motor way, in winter it hasn't opened yet).

On way home after 3 miles of motorway it is at 92 then opens and settles and stays at 86/87 for the subsequent 7 miles. In summer it opens also after about 3 miles also but it is more or less 70 mph from the start (I did measure it at 2.8 miles for summer and 3.1 for winter). But it will stabilise at around 86 for the remaining 7 miles at 40 mph.

My point is ignoring petrol diesel variance, load and distance have a bearing on this.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 29th November 2019 at 21:36..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 11:28   #43
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
To do it according to the MGR workshop manual involves removing the plastic manifold chamber and one of the inlet manifolds so yes, it will take some time and care. I'm rather concerned about this because it's rare for a KV6 thermostat to fail in this way. I hope that your second-hand engine hasn't had K-Seal put into it.

Make sure that your garage positions the plastic clips on the straight pipe fully outwards so that they are in close contact with the water pump and new thermostat housings. This will keep the whole assembly rigid and hopefully minimise the risk of future leaks.

Simon
Spoke to garage and he also claims that he by-passed the oil cooler so I am wondering if this has any bearing on my wee problem. also new thermostat and sensor fitted.
skinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 09:57   #44
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyL View Post
Spoke to garage and he also claims that he by-passed the oil cooler ...
The oil cooler should not be by-passed unless done temporarily if oil and coolant are mixing.

Simon
Old 1st December 2019, 10:14   #45
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I really don't understand this continued discussion. The temperatures are fine, nothing to worry about.
You can easily have a temperature displayed that is slightly below the opening of the thermostat. The heating element is a small radiator, and it is not controlled by the thermostat, as it is always open.
So to say that the running temperature of the engine is not related to ambient, is simply not true.
Life is too short to worry about issues like this, I would have thought.
Drive the car and enjoy it, there is nothing wrong in what you have seen.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:47   #46
skinnyL
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2003 2.5 V6 Auto Conn Tourer (Scotland) Rover 75 2000 2.0 V6 Conn (Spain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
The oil cooler should not be by-passed unless done temporarily if oil and coolant are mixing.

Simon
It appears that he damaged the oil cooler in some way (connection?) and by-passed it as that was what was recommended due to my original problems. My car is in my garage at home for 5/6 months now on a SORN.
I would like to ask:
1> Do I need the oil cooler up and working.
2> Do you think I should replace the thermostat and temperature sensor again.

If I need to get this work done I shall have it done next year by another garage.

Many thanks for all you help. Jim

Last edited by skinnyL; 1st December 2019 at 11:48.. Reason: incorrect information
skinnyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 12:03   #47
kaiser
This is my second home

The oil cooler on my own car has been disconnected for more than a year. Not only that, it has been totally removed. It is not necessary unless you tow a heavy trailer in hot weather up a steep hill, for long.
My car has done without it, and I have not had any adverse effects whatsoever. And it is a bit hotter here than at your place

The oil coolers are prone to leaks, either internally or externally. Mine leaked to the outside and I am not sorry that it has gone!
Old 1st December 2019, 15:43   #48
kaiser
This is my second home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mbUdsQfSq0
Old 1st December 2019, 17:17   #49
kaiser
This is my second home

Yes Peter Sellers, for all his sins, was a genius.
And we should all, I for certain, learn to live more in the moment, and not always look for what is around the corner.
Sometimes we take life too seriously and forget that life is happening now! As we used to say, don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 1st December 2019, 17:29   #50
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Yes Peter Sellers, for all his sins, was a genius.
And we should all, I for certain, learn to live more in the moment, and not always look for what is around the corner.
Sometimes we take life too seriously and forget that life is happening now! As we used to say, don't sweat the small stuff.
Very true. Don't rush about and cook your own engine.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote