Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st December 2019, 19:56   #141
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

There have been many posts in this thread which is now over 200 posts long that contain no political comment !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 20:11   #142
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideValve View Post
Have to say that I'm getting close to giving up the Rover & buying a Nissan Leaf

Looked at the figures today. The Rover costs me around 22p/mile in fuel and has averaged almost £50 pm in maintenance (blummin cambelts). Tax is £265 pa

2017 Leaf from my local Nissan dealer about £11k with 6k on the clock. Fuel prices should be about 5p/mile, maintenance should be minimal, zero tax. The batteries are guaranteed for 100k but I'd expect range to reduce over time.

Currently 90% of my usage is just commuting 20 miles a day so a 100 mile range is no problem and in five years time if say the range had dropped to 80 miles it wouldn't be a problem. We could use the better half's Yaris for longer journeys if necessary.

So all in all, even with depreciation I'd be saving enough to make the small inconvenience worthwhile. Thankfully I could charge it up at home so to balance the inconvenience of having longer stops if I ever used it for longer runs, on most months I'd never have to "fill up" at a station at all.

Finally - because no post about cars is complete with a political comment - I'm keen to batten down the hatches financially as far as I possibly can. If that chump Johnson gets in and bangs us out of the EU (if he sticks to his word, which will be a first, we'll end up with no deal) our economy will be in deep poo for the foreseeable future. I'd be tempted to emigrate but when we lose our freedom of movement in Europe where could I go?
Do you mean WITHOUT a political comment ????
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 20:56   #143
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

2000 miles in with our Hyundai IONIQ HEV and absolutely love it

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2019, 20:32   #144
SideValve
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Do you mean WITHOUT a political comment ????
I did - sorry.
The Story So Far: Austin A35, Morris Oxford, Triumph Herald, Mini 850, Mini 1000, Austin Allegro, MG Midget, MGB GT, Rover SD1 2600, Austin Maxi, Rover 200, Rover 825, Rover 800, Bedford TK, Range Rover 3.9 efi, Rover 400, Rover 100, MGF, Rover 25, Rover 75 1.8, Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.0 V6, MGF 1.8i, Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.0 V6 Auto, Morris Eight Series E, Morris Minor 1275.
SideValve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 06:18   #145
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

And Tesla is now working on a battery pack that they claim will last 1,000,000 miles !
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 09:06   #146
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Well if they also have a decent range and fast charging rate then they will have cracked it.

Electric cars have been around since the 1850s, and the battery technology has been the only thing over the years to hold them back.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 09:44   #147
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Well if they also have a decent range and fast charging rate then they will have cracked it.

Electric cars have been around since the 1850s, and the battery technology has been the only thing over the years to hold them back.

If by 'cracked it' you mean an average hatchback will cost £50,000 instead of less than £10,000....

'Battery technology' continues to hold 'them' back. Still not learning the lessons of ubiquitous products. E.g petrol / diesel only two fuels used in 99% of road going vehicles (ok now complicating by adding Ethanol etc). But I was more thinking of the nightmare of mobile phone chargers - remember before they standardised on the charging voltage and connector? Rechargeable battery packs should be swappable and fit many vehicles. Imagine the 'recharge' speed if you could swap out some (or all) of your batteries for ready charged ones? and simultaneously charge the 'fixed' batteries (if any) at the same time. The two problems that affect electric cars from a user perspective is range between recharges when coupled with recharge times, and the weight of the vehicle (battery weight).

Currently it's 1:45 each way to visit my Mum and just over 80 miles meaning I'd have to stop twice to 50% recharge (at least) in a Nissan leaf That would either mean having to stop at my Mum's for 13 hours to charge from a normal household plug, or two 30 minute stops mid journey each way for rapid charging. So now my 3 hour round trip is 4 hours - an hour of it spent somewhere I don't want to be?

Here's another - Currently planning next years tour of the highlands - it's well over 300 miles to Inverness from home. that's 8-9 hours driving with one good lunch stop. In an electric vehicle I'd need a 200mile range and a rapid charger at very close to the halfway point. But continuing on around the top of Scotland for another 1000 miles in 4 more days? I don't fancy my chances at the moment.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 11:43   #148
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
If by 'cracked it' you mean an average hatchback will cost £50,000 instead of less than £10,000....

Only if you buy a Tesla.

Yes the battery technology isn't at a stage where I would buy an electric car, as I also drive long distance sometimes for work, but it is improving, as is the charging infrastructure.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 12:28   #149
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Only if you buy a Tesla.

Yes the battery technology isn't at a stage where I would buy an electric car, as I also drive long distance sometimes for work, but it is improving, as is the charging infrastructure.

Ok, true - but the fact is that you still pay a hefty premium for EV cars. Look at the leaf - if it were £11k new then it might be better value (if it had 3 times the range...).

I've no doubt that there's further progress to be made in all areas with electric cars. And many applicable uses. Whether they'll be able to be competitive with the utility of an ICE powered car by 2040 I doubt. On the subject of cost I can only see that going up while the batteries continue to require rare minerals in their manufacture.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2019, 13:34   #150
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

I notice nobody mentions the effects of cold weather on the battery packs of EV's

Reduced range, and not recommended to charge lithium ion batteries under 0 degrees.

That's going to cause all sorts of problems in very cold weather.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote