Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st April 2019, 11:10   #1
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Default Pay rise - What an insult think its time to move on.

So the company I work for has given everyone a pay rise..... Some say I should be grateful, and I am but also insulted at the very same time.

I have finished an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering. I have come out of it with an NVQ in mechanical manufacturing engineering and an HNC in mechanical engineering. I am speaking to suppliers and sending rejected parts back to them plus I reduced the number of parts we have rejected.

For the last two years I haven’t got a pay rise and was on a measly £15,300 today ive been told that its going to by £2,088.45 this is before tax I must add. So that’s about £174 a month extra for an NVQ in mechanical manufacturing engineering and a HNC in mechanical engineering.

Think its time to move on!!!
Old 1st April 2019, 11:21   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Yep, looking at those numbers it's time to move on to pastures new.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 11:24   #3
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
Yep, looking at those numbers it's time to move on to pastures new.
That what i am going to have to do. I finished my apprenticeship way over a year ago.
Old 1st April 2019, 12:56   #4
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I'd be happy with a 13% pay rise myself. Did you self fund your NVQ/HNC yourself, or did work fund it? Might make a difference to the perception?

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 14:02   #5
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

As far as a pay rise goes that's a good one! But that's based on your initial salary. I couldn't say if that's the going rate or not in your industry. If you're not happy at the salary you're are paid then make it known politely to your manager. If they value you then you might be offered more to stay. No harm in keeping your eyes and ears open for other opportunities though. Just don't jump without knowing where you're going to land.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 14:26   #6
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

The actual percentage is good being 13%. Before this a few members of management promised me 20+ and I’ve applied for very similar roles at 20+. It’s a kick in the teeth when the people working around me are still on way more than me and I’m doing a few extra jobs then they are.
Old 1st April 2019, 14:41   #7
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

If there was talk of a higher salary on completion of training then, yes: you ought to go back and discuss the difference between your salary and any previously said. We can all do with the best salary we can get. We have a saying 'Shy bairns get nowt!' . Good luck!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 14:43   #8
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 View Post
So the company I work for has given everyone a pay rise..... Some say I should be grateful, and I am but also insulted at the very same time.

I have finished an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering. I have come out of it with an NVQ in mechanical manufacturing engineering and an HNC in mechanical engineering. I am speaking to suppliers and sending rejected parts back to them plus I reduced the number of parts we have rejected.

For the last two years I haven’t got a pay rise and was on a measly £15,300 today ive been told that its going to by £2,088.45 this is before tax I must add. So that’s about £174 a month extra for an NVQ in mechanical manufacturing engineering and a HNC in mechanical engineering.

Think its time to move on!!!
It is for sure relative, for example to your age, and experience, also dependant on the company you work for, if it is a small concern, 'family' run etc, then it very much depends on what value they place on you as an asset, my advice is go and speak to the right person in the organisation, and ask them to explain how they have arrived at such a figure, and how they see you fitting into their medium term plans, if the reply is encouraging then you decide, if not you decide.
Word to the cautious!!, please don't let an HNC qualification be the base point on which you gauge your earning power, people with degrees and MSc are struggling so as I said it is all relevant. Get the experience needed and then look to move on to suit you, and your circumstances.
Britain is a low wage economy when it comes to 'workers', based on old Victorian values, where you work people into the ground, pay them nothing if you can get away with it, then discard them,we do pay bankers considerably more than engineers, doctors, firemen, nurses, police etc but there you have it they are expected to get on with it, also most peoples wages are based on 2006 criteria, and the fact that we have so called full employment it is simply because most jobs are based on zero hour contracts and are paid badly on a take it or leave it basis.
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 15:13   #9
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
It is for sure relative, for example to your age, and experience, also dependant on the company you work for, if it is a small concern, 'family' run etc, then it very much depends on what value they place on you as an asset, my advice is go and speak to the right person in the organisation, and ask them to explain how they have arrived at such a figure, and how they see you fitting into their medium term plans, if the reply is encouraging then you decide, if not you decide.
Word to the cautious!!, please don't let an HNC qualification be the base point on which you gauge your earning power, people with degrees and MSc are struggling so as I said it is all relevant. Get the experience needed and then look to move on to suit you, and your circumstances.
Britain is a low wage economy when it comes to 'workers', based on old Victorian values, where you work people into the ground, pay them nothing if you can get away with it, then discard them,we do pay bankers considerably more than engineers, doctors, firemen, nurses, police etc but there you have it they are expected to get on with it, also most peoples wages are based on 2006 criteria, and the fact that we have so called full employment it is simply because most jobs are based on zero hour contracts and are paid badly on a take it or leave it basis.

I’m not saying the company name as if they get wind of you slagging them off they let you go. Buts it’s a large multi billion euro company.
Old 1st April 2019, 15:39   #10
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Do you have anything in writing to confirm the 20% rise mentioned?

Also what do others with similar experience and qualifications get paid within your company? I would like to think that a large employer like yours would have a minimum rate for a job. If so are you above or below it.

Lastly don't give up this job till you have another one guaranteed
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote