Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th November 2019, 20:26   #1
Shonkie
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Lower wishbone bush crisis

Hi all,
today I attempted to remove and replace the worn and knocking bush.
I have experience in working with mechanical things as I am working on two motorcycles but this job tested me and the bush is unbolted but stuck to the wishbone. A b****r of a job which is still not finished so my car is sat on the road in the dark being held up by one axle stand.
Is anyone able assist me in getting this finished.
I am prepared to give money or beer.

Thanks in advance,
Simone.

P.s. I'm in Plymouth.
Shonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 21:20   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

if we are talking this part I do wonder if it is easier to drop the exhaust and braces and remove the sub frame.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/...8aAl-0EALw_wcB

would soapy water help slide the bush off?

macafee2

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 21:22   #3
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I cut through the rubber using a two handed wire saw (fed through the gap then handles affixed). You can then easily remove the metal outer housing. Clean up the arm and lubricate from the bush to the rear of the arm, then, using a hammer and drift (or hardwood peg) directly on the metal inner, work around the inner bush in a circular fashion. If this fails, hacksaw or, with care not to damage the arm, grind off the metal bush. The other side came off by hammer and drift alone. If you push the front wheel forwards slightly, you can wiggle the bush off the end. I did mine with the wheels on and on ramps.
Tools:-

Last edited by roverbarmy; 15th November 2019 at 21:27..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 21:42   #4
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

I've never tried to remove the bushes with the arms still on the car , but they have always just tapped off the arms with little effort. Replacement required a drop of washing up liquid and they slid on easy and allowed a bit of movement whilst I lined up the bolt holes to secure. Surely a tap with a blunt chisel would have them off ?
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2019, 21:47   #5
Shonkie
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I cut through the rubber using a two handed wire saw (fed through the gap then handles affixed). You can then easily remove the metal outer housing. Clean up the arm and lubricate from the bush to the rear of the arm, then, using a hammer and drift (or hardwood peg) directly on the metal inner, work around the inner bush in a circular fashion. If this fails, hacksaw or, with care not to damage the arm, grind off the metal bush. The other side came off by hammer and drift alone. If you push the front wheel forwards slightly, you can wiggle the bush off the end. I did mine with the wheels on and on ramps.
Tools:-
Hi thanks,
I have tried to cut the old rubber but didn't think of wire. I have welding wire so that might help and I have a chisel and hammer. I do need an adjustable angle spanner like yours though.
Old 15th November 2019, 21:51   #6
Shonkie
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
I've never tried to remove the bushes with the arms still on the car , but they have always just tapped off the arms with little effort. Replacement required a drop of washing up liquid and they slid on easy and allowed a bit of movement whilst I lined up the bolt holes to secure. Surely a tap with a blunt chisel would have them off ?
Sadly it wouldn't move even with my chisel and lump hammer, plus I was worried I would damage the wishbone. I did spray it liberally.
Old 15th November 2019, 21:56   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonkie View Post
Sadly it wouldn't move even with my chisel and lump hammer, plus I was worried I would damage the wishbone. I did spray it liberally.
Clean it up with emery cloth, lubricate and then try the circular tapping with a blunt drift or piece of wood. A sharp chisel may make it worse. If all else fails, heat (taking safety precautions) around the inner rubber and arm may help to free it.
Old 15th November 2019, 22:00   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Put a screwdriver through the bush and lever it in one direction, when the rubber is stretched cut it with a sharp Stanley knife, keep going until you cut as far as you can then lever the bush in the opposite direction, cut the rubber again, you will then be able to remove the outer.

Use an angle grinder to cut a slot in the remaining inner metal piece, open this up with a screwdriver and it will slide off.
Old 15th November 2019, 22:01   #9
Shonkie
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
if we are talking this part I do wonder if it is easier to drop the exhaust and braces and remove the sub frame.
https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/...8aAl-0EALw_wcB

would soapy water help slide the bush off?

macafee2

macafee2
Yes, That is the part. I didn't think of soapy water but I did spray it.
Old 15th November 2019, 22:13   #10
rushly

Rover 75 saloon + MgZt cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonkie View Post
Hi. I did this job earlier this year and found that the rubber bush absorbs any impact from a hammer. I am sure it is possible to remove them this way but I found it much easier to lever them off using a two foot crowbar. With the two bolts removed I jammed the wishbone down with a piece of wood about one to one and a half inches thick. This made room for the bush to slide towards the back of the car. Unfortunately I cant say exactly what I used as a fulcrum for the crowbar but I had the car up on ramps with the wheels still on and levered from the centre of the car. Sorry I cat be more specific, it was a few months ago and a picture would probably be required, however, rest assured, it is possible. Hope this is of some help.
rushly is offline   Reply With Quote