Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th December 2019, 19:24   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default sockets for nuts

I've seen advice that having a socket that works off the sides of a nut is better then one that works off the corners.

I can see the thinking behind this but Halfords professional sockets seem to work off the corners. This seems a contradiction
Have you had problems with a good fitting socket that uses the corners rounding off the corners of a quality nut.. or bolt?

I have some sockets to replace, 27, 32 and something else. My 32mm which works off the corners has undone drive shaft nuts which are 350nm torque when fitted. I'm therefore not convinced that ones that work off the corners are bad. I'm also having a bit of difficulty finding suitable sockets that work off the sides and are the right shape to fit in my socket set

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 9th December 2019 at 22:11..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 19:38   #2
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

It’s true, all other things being equal the ones with the hex shape when you look at their face, are heavier duty than the corner type. Of course it’s down to the tool steel they are made from and their quality as well...
Old 9th December 2019, 19:43   #3
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

i dont think it'll matter too much if the nuts are in good condition but its a different story once theyve been subjected to a bit of rusting

I have the halfords set but usually end up using the 6 sided sockets from my impact set for everything
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 19:45   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Impact sockets are always 6 sided and when I buy new sockets I always choose 6 sided.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 19:52   #5
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Best socket set I've ever had https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teng-M381...0AAOSwaXpb8zR-

Last edited by suzublu; 9th December 2019 at 19:55..
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 20:40   #6
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If you've got to crack a heavily torqued nut, best to use a six sider, if you have enough access and "swing" room available, but sometimes the extra angles available with the pastry-cutter type will allow you to get on the nut, and have room to crack it. If it's a good fit, it shouldn't have a problem. Obviously, you shouldn't use a rachet to crack a heavily torqued nut.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 21:32   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

When it comes to the oil filter housing Ian you need a surface drive socket - anything else can damage the moulded nut on the top.

My car has such damage despite being serviced only by main dealers before I bought it.

Maybe they let the Appo have a go at it?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 21:57   #8
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

I have a 1/2" drive 12 point Draper set bought as a present probably something like 4 decades ago - I guess/hope there's a few more out there in their bright orange metal case

About half a dozen of the most used sockets have given up the ghost and been replaced with better "quality" ones so, for instance, I've a 6 sided Teng/Halfords Advanced/Draper Expert etc. I prefer 6 sided as they feel more secure/solid.

I now work on the theory that buying "quality" for something that gets used frequently or is "important" is a good way to go. So I'll avoid the set with 2 dozen sockets that I'll realistically only use half a dozen of and go for individual items.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 22:16   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
When it comes to the oil filter housing Ian you need a surface drive socket - anything else can damage the moulded nut on the top.

My car has such damage despite being serviced only by main dealers before I bought it.

Maybe they let the Appo have a go at it?
cheers for this, I did get one some time ago, cant believe I need a special "socket" for an oil change.
I have a tin box for special tools that the rover requires. It has torx bits, modified spanners, tool for splitting the hydraulic clutch line, removing the plastic three hole thing for the footwell covers, socket for adjusting the nut at the handbrake lever, socket for the oil filter housing and I have a jar with modified Allan keys in.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 23:18   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
cheers for this, I did get one some time ago, cant believe I need a special "socket" for an oil change.
I have a tin box for special tools that the rover requires. It has torx bits, modified spanners, tool for splitting the hydraulic clutch line, removing the plastic three hole thing for the footwell covers, socket for adjusting the nut at the handbrake lever, socket for the oil filter housing and I have a jar with modified Allan keys in.

macafee2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36mm-Metr...4383.l4275.c10

I think it is 36mm? But this is what I use with no issues, albeit a Draper or Laser. But note the drive size, I assumed it to be a 1/2" drive, but is a 3/8, I had it anyway, but if you only have 1/2" or 1/4" drives, just use an adapter, the filter top should only be torqued to 22Nm, if I recall.

A 6 point drive allows for the torque to be spread over a larger portion of the nut/bolt. Providing nuts and bolts are not too tight and quality sockets are used, 6 or 12 points, shouldnt matter. But I have found if the nut or bolt was too tight, and a cheap socket was used, it would slip easily and round off the nut/bolt. It may just be me, but I also find a 6 point gives a better 'feel', or maybe my 6 points are better quality, than the sets I inherited over the years lol.

I do have a curious set from Lidl, which I have not had a chance to use yet in anger, which are made up with multiple vertical rails(?) rather than points and flats. They feel quite secure, and capable, but if they are actually strong enough, I think they grip better than a 12 point, and possibly more forgiving if fitted to a slightly rounded nut.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote