Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th February 2014, 08:06   #1
Blingcash

Rover 75 sedan

Default rover 75 KM meter not working

i bought a rover 75 5 days ago, when i was driving it home i noticed the km meter not working so i could not see how much i was driving, the abs sencer lights is also on, maybe that have something to do with it? anybody can help me with soem advise? thanks ... am living in Belgium btw
Blingcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 08:33   #2
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingcash View Post
i bought a rover 75 5 days ago, when i was driving it home i noticed the km meter not working so i could not see how much i was driving, the abs sencer lights is also on, maybe that have something to do with it? anybody can help me with soem advise? thanks ... am living in Belgium btw
They are related. The signal for both comes from the abs sensor which in turn reads from the wheel bearing inside the hub. ( front right I think). Check wiring for chafes and connections first.
Old 14th February 2014, 08:41   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hello Karl and to the club.

As XPart02 says, it will be a damaged cable from one of the front ABS wheel sensors. The cable pops out of its clip on the front strut and rubs against the tyre as you turn the steering. I would check both sides if I were you.

The solution is a new sensor and they can be hard work to extract. There's plenty of reading on the forum about this. Secure the new sensor cable with a cable tie so that it cannot release from the clip.

Simon
Old 15th February 2014, 05:17   #4
Blingcash

Rover 75 sedan

Default thanks

thanks allot guys, this helps me allot. ill go look in to it as soon has the sun,s up.
Blingcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 13:13   #5
Glen B
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon Club

Default Glen B

Got the same problem. Last Monday ABS light came on and then speedo stopped working but worked again a couple of miles later. Next day started off with ABS light on and no speedo then it worked for 5 mins then stopped again and ABS light back on. Having checked my notebook I keep on all work done, parts replaced, problems, etc, I see that I had my ABS/Speedo cable replaced in January 2010 and as it was done by a garage I was using then, I suspect that it was an aftermarket cable. Is 4 years about average before these cables fail? I have fetched a new cable from Rimmers and the mechanic I use is either going to fit the new cable on Wednesday unless resitance tests etc, say the present cable is OK but come adrift or something.
Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 18:53   #6
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen B View Post
Got the same problem. Last Monday ABS light came on and then speedo stopped working but worked again a couple of miles later. Next day started off with ABS light on and no speedo then it worked for 5 mins then stopped again and ABS light back on. Having checked my notebook I keep on all work done, parts replaced, problems, etc, I see that I had my ABS/Speedo cable replaced in January 2010 and as it was done by a garage I was using then, I suspect that it was an aftermarket cable. Is 4 years about average before these cables fail? I have fetched a new cable from Rimmers and the mechanic I use is either going to fit the new cable on Wednesday unless resitance tests etc, say the present cable is OK but come adrift or something.
Hi,
Don't forget the sensor is not only implied but the magnetic ring too.

In doubt try this:

ABS test.jpg

Good luck

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote