Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th November 2015, 12:35   #1
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

Default Not a 75 but still need advice/comments

OK this is about my sons 56 plate 1.4 corsa.

He has only been driving a few months, bought the corsa in june. I got a call Tuesday at work, he was at home. He had been out and on his way home when the hi coolant temp light started to flash & lost all heat. So he drove home, about 1 1/2 miles.

Anyway, I found the leak, small hose on the water pump to throttle body had parted at the plastic adapter on the pump. Found out this is a common problem!!!

This has been replaced with the new 'up-rated' brass adapter, + fresh coolant. Engine appears to be running without any signs of distress, obviously we are monitoring the coolant level, but the question is 'what is the chance of him getting away with it?'

To make matters worse, for me, he starts a new job in December 170miles from home! (Chapel-en-le-Frith )

SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 12:44   #2
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

I had a similar problem happen on my Corsa 1.2 SXI with the ecotech engine which I had as my first car. the coolant pipe which connects to the heater matrix popped off whilst I was driving and leaked pretty much all the coolant out. Problem was my engine temperature never went up and it was summer so didn't have the heaters on, so I didn't notice a problem until when I got close to home, pulled up in front of the house and the engine cut out.

Unfortunately for me, this had killed the water pump, as it was firing water out all over the place after that. I Replaced the pump but then found that the head gasket had failed and the exhaust gases were getting into the coolant system causing a lot of pressure to build up in the coolant system, to the point where the engine was jolting badly and the engine management light would come on. This would happen very quickly so I was only getting down the road.

Hopefully your son's engines okay, I would probably take it on a couple of long runs around your local area just to make sure.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 13:10   #3
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Hi Rick, thanks

We took it out last night on two runs 6 & 7.5 miles with a 2 hour break between (visiting family), also we are planning a run along a stretch of dual carriage way about 25miles in total. The aim is to build some confidence in the lump before the drive north next weekend.

Thanks
SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 26th November 2015, 20:18   #4
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Quick update

Just checked and there is a film of oil in the coolant bottle.
So head gasket has failed & I'm expecting the head needs skimming too.

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 26th November 2015, 20:24   #5
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln8458 View Post
Quick update

Just checked and there is a film of oil in the coolant bottle.
So head gasket has failed & I'm expecting the head needs skimming too.

SteveN
So has it LOST any water???did it over heat on the 25 mile run ?Did it perform as normal?

Before you start taking it apart answer the above

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 20:38   #6
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Didn't get to the 25mile run, just a 3 mile (total) trip to local Asda. So in total it has covered 15 miles approx since the repair and coolant replacement.

And yes the coolant level has dropped about 1/2"
Performance appears normal, no signs of further overheating but the corsa only has a hi temp light NO guage.

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 27th November 2015, 11:41   #7
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

"Performance appears normal, no signs of further overheating but the corsa only has a hi temp light NO gauge."

That in itself is not a problem, the 75/ZT have a temperature gauge but it's next to useless, 'normal' position is half-way (9 o'clock) but it gets there at 75C and stays there until it reaches 115C lulling owner/drivers into a false sense of security, maybe a simple overheat lamp would have been a better guide.

Question is does the overheat lamp light up now in normal driving?

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 12:09   #8
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Question is does the overheat lamp light up now in normal driving?

No, warning light does come on (as normal) on turning the ignition key to on (self test I believe) but after that goes out & stays out.

Spoken with the mechanic who repaired the original leak & he thinks that the water loss could be normal after a total fluid replacement. I understand where he is coming from there. Also the black 'oil' in the water bottle could be 'tapping grease' which he used when he had to re-tap the hole for the pipe adaptor, again I understand that. He has arranged for me to take the car to a local MOT station that he uses who will run a 'sniff' test on the coolant in the water bottle tomorrow for me FOC. So I'm going with that at the moment.

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 1st December 2015, 11:41   #9
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Latest update (from paranoid dad!)

So Saturday morning the car was taken to recommended MOT station & an exhaust gas tester was put into the coolant tank. With engine running the HC ? reading went from 15 to 22 & then dropped back down to 18. This was said to be NOT indicative of HG failure, over 28/30 was the magic number (having worked in engineering for the wrong side of 40 years I was expecting no real change if no HC's were present). Took the car for a run down the dual carriageway last night (nearly 30miles) total of 50 miles since Saturdays test & this morning the coolant level has dropped about 1/8-1/4 inch. Still running ok, no signs of overheating, no increase in the possible oil (tapping grease) in the coolant tank.

Any comments appreciated.
SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.

Old 4th December 2015, 12:35   #10
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Latest update.

Took the car to a second garage (recommended by friend) and they have reported back.

Sniff test using the blue fluid is negative for HG failure
Pressure tested cooling system, no loss of pressure detected
Spark plugs removed and showing an even colour on all 4, no odd one.
Oil checked and no trace of water present.
Coolant level appears more stable.

Only issue preventing a total clean bill of health is the oil in the coolant tank. This confused all mechanics at the second garage as they feel that would normally be a significant indicator to HGF.
Advice was to use the car as much as possible and monitor coolant. I plan to remove & clean the coolant bottle next week (moving son this weekend to new job) and our eldest son will use this car for work.

On the issue of the oil in the header tank. This is a very dark colour and the engine oil is VERY clean/ not dark. I believe this is to indicate that the substance in the coolant tank is NOT engine oil.

Thoughts anyone?

SteveN
Rear seat cup holders.