Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th March 2017, 14:09   #1
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Default Beginning to doubt the 1.8T

Really starting to doubt the ownership of my Rover 75 1.8, initially bought as a standard 1.8 automatic that had HG Issues, so once the engine gave up a 1.8T was transplanted into it, and at a cost. But as we all know we will spend money on these cars, however this last few weeks have been testing as a water leak from the small bore pipe from the PRT T Junction to the turbo split and leaked water. Anyway another £90 spent on a complete PRT hose set and all new pipes fitted, but now I can't seem to get the car back to a happy place, it seems that there is a lot of pressure building in the breather pipes that run along the top of the radiator, this along with a smell of oil and what appears to be wisps of steam rising from the bottom area of the radiator.... maybe spilt water, maybe a problem with a hose.... but it looks like it will be another job that was not planned for.....

On running the engine with IPK in diagnostic mode the readings for temperature were sat around the 87 - 90 however took it for a run and it was going anywhere from 87 - 99

On days like today I really do question myself with regards to owning such a money pit of a motor

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 14:23   #2
Dansrockin
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT number 1 of 25 celestial!!

I feel your pain! I've had many days where I've had to question why i love these cars so much, when it seems like one thing after another. But, on the rare days when it does what it should, and is working 100%, to me there is no other car that can give me the same feeling of satisfaction!
You've just got to take the rough with the smooth, i call it character!
Dansrockin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 14:23   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
- - - a water leak from the small bore pipe from the PRT T Junction to the turbo split and leaked water.
Were you driving at the time? Did you drive much before you realised the loss of coolant? Did the engine overheat?

Quote:
it seems that there is a lot of pressure building in the breather pipes that run along the top of the radiator
I guess you mean the bleed hoses from the head and radiator top going to the header tank. How do you know there's a lot of pressure?

Is there any residual pressure when unscrewing the coolant filler cap (engine stone cold)?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 14:31   #4
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

I'm thinking of doing the same having recently bent a con rod (don't ask, but there's worse things than HGF) how did badly was the insurance affected?
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 14:35   #5
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

I know we can only really judge on our own experiences, but my 1.8T hasn't missed a beat or shown even the slightest sign of misbehaving in the 11 months I've owned it - so they don't all suffer from problems. I've probably cursed myself by saying that, and next week the engine will disappear in a cloud of steam!

I'd encourage you to persevere, things will come right in the end. At least it looks like you have plenty of other choices when it comes to using alternative classy and comfortable modes of transport until it's sorted.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 15:52   #6
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

My little ole 1.8t has had it's share of faults but it is still with us. Now on 182,500.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 16:12   #7
kc13661

Freelander Td4

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Were you driving at the time? Did you drive much before you realised the loss of coolant? Did the engine overheat?

I guess you mean the bleed hoses from the head and radiator top going to the header tank. How do you know there's a lot of pressure?

Is there any residual pressure when unscrewing the coolant filler cap (engine stone cold)?

TC
Yes I was driving, and I noticed steam, but thankfully caught it prior any significant coolant loss

Yes the the hoses from the head, pressure was basically the pipes looked more expanded than normal..... will check cap when engine is cold

No overheating on gauge, did not remember the sequence at the time for the IPK diagnostic

Old 13th March 2017, 16:14   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
Yes I was driving, and I noticed steam, but thankfully caught it prior any significant coolant loss

Yes the the hoses from the head, pressure was basically the pipes looked more expanded than normal..... will check cap when engine is cold

No overheating on gauge, did not remember the sequence at the time for the IPK diagnostic
How did you bleed the system Keith?
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 16:21   #9
kc13661

Freelander Td4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff130 View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same having recently bent a con rod (don't ask, but there's worse things than HGF) how did badly was the insurance affected?
Geoff: Insurance was a minimal change, however I would look seriously into what you need to change apart from the Engine, things like fuel lines, coolant pipes... air filter etc....

My car is a 1999 model and the turbo was not introduced then, so I had so much to change.

Old 13th March 2017, 16:27   #10
kc13661

Freelander Td4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
How did you bleed the system Keith?
I was not 100% sure Brian, so I followed the guide on forum, blowing into header tank ?

Me and coolant have no love lost between us...so I have no patience with it.. and to be honest a lot of other things to think about this next coming week without worrying to much about the car.......