Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th January 2018, 08:04   #21
TBennet
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

I wouldn't suggest buying a 190 on the strength of the engine sound. It's spoiled by the rattle from the inlet manifold.

I bought a 190 a month ago. Excellent condition, 63,000 miles and serviced every year.

I'd read about the issue before buying. It's fairly muted in the cabin, and I didn't realise what it was on the test drive. The harder you rev, the louder it gets, so it doesn't go away either.

You get used to it, but it's a bit of a dissappointment initially when you get the car home, notice the rattle, learn what it is, and that you can't fix it.
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 09:18   #22
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Sorry, but the above comment is a bit of a pointless one. It's rather like saying I bought a superb car but the drive was spoiled by the fact it only had three wheels.

The inlet manifold is a simple swap and you can still get rattle free second hand ones. If you wanted you could fit a brand new one. Sort it out and there won't be an issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yella Fella View Post
A Kmaps tamper is planned for March this year on my ZT Turbo 160 .
Are they still mapping without afr trace? Quite a few issues of the turbos running too lean at the higher end of the rev range. Mines been ok so far but I wouldn't get mine mapped by them again unless I've got an afr gauge in the car

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 09:33   #23
TBennet
Regular poster

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
Sorry, but the above comment is a bit of a pointless one. It's rather like saying I bought a superb car but the drive was spoiled by the fact it only had three wheels.
It may seem pointless to you, but its an honest reflection of my experience and it doesn't seem an unfair comment in response to the OP's wish to buy a V6 for the sake of the sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
The inlet manifold is a simple swap and you can still get rattle free second hand ones. If you wanted you could fit a brand new one. Sort it out and there won't be an issue...
If you can tell me where I can source a new one, I'd be grateful to know. All the suppliers I could find online were out of stock and every enquiry I made came back with no information on when any might be available.

Buying second hand sounds like a lottery I can't afford to play. I would imagine most of the cars they come from are higher mileage than mine, thus, all things being equal are probably at least as rattly as mine is. I'm reluctant to spend £100+ per time to find out.
TBennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 16:25   #24
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Regardless of the different merits (HGF vs rattle, sound vs running costs etc.), in my mind, both are probably 'fast enough' for today's roads if you want to keep your license.

I allow myself the occasional foot to the floor as I join the M25 sometimes but lift off before I go under the gantry cameras...the need for speed is fulfilled and the expense briefly justified. If I wanted a faster estate I would have shelled out for a Focus ST or some form of German car perhaps. If I wanted a cheaper/slower car then I'm spoilt for choice..but few would invoke the joy I feel each time I walk past mine as it sits on the drive. I think all of us in this great club put the sheer joy of ownership above all else and hence the great pains felt when damage or failure occurs
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 17:41   #25
tommy15

mg zt

Here's my story! I desperately wanted a zt diesel, i ended up buying a 75, i kept it for a month or so and then i realised i was through with diesel. i had £1000 to spend. at the time i couldn't find a zt 1.8t for less than £1500 so i bought another 75, this time a 1.8t. i was put off the v6 engine as a friend had run v6's and was always complaining about the fuel consumption so i didn't see it as an option. i loved that rover! what a lovely car. i have practically rebuilt it in the time i have had it (cam belt, water pump, radiator, drop links, fan, halo headlights,walnut dash, rear blind, ppd leather seats) etc etc (you might get bored if i keep going!) anyway, my mrs wanted a zt and she wasn;t bothered if it was a 1.8t or a 190. we bought a lovely pbt 190. however, she didn't really like it so i ended up driving it for a year and then the big end failed. no worries, back into my rover! i had had it remapped by kmaps with a ss exhaust. problem! missed the v6 so much i went out and bought another 190!
tommy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 19:34   #26
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBennet View Post
If you can tell me where I can source a new one, I'd be grateful to know. All the suppliers I could find online were out of stock and every enquiry I made came back with no information on when any might be available.
Needs a little DIY fettling but brand new

https://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...mbly-lkb108021

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2018, 21:37   #27
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

I had a 1.8 75 for years and gradually added all the goodies. Best improvement was 17" serpents but I also fitted MG135 cams, VVC inlet manifold, 52mm throttle body and K&N filter. It ran very well and would freely rev to the red and handled great. I bought a ZT 190 last year and what a surprise, the previous owner had removed the 18" wheels which I knew about but didn't realise the larger brakes had gone too along with a working manifold and Xeons. I've sorted the brakes, manifold and leaky steel pipes to the oil cooler but it still doesn't feel 52bhp better than my old 75. As for handling it seems to me the only real difference is you feel every bump in the ZT compared to the high speed sofa. I'll be trying some modified exhaust manifolds and a full stainless exhaust next. It does sound nice though.
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 20:14   #28
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

So.. From the reliability side of things, which engine is the least trouble/expensive to keep alive?

How much is a cambelt change on the 1.8 t ?

And if these liners go, is it new engine time?
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 00:42   #29
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Both engines are good engines and both have their weaknesses like any other car. On the V6, they’re bad for leaking thermostats and duff VIS motors and rattling manifolds etc. The turbos can suffer from head gasket failure, in most cases the cause is a failing water pump. Coil pack issues etc. Cost wise, not much in it in either. They’re both reliable but like any other car, they need to be looked after and kept on top.

Why would the liners go? You’d have to do some damage to the engine to do that...

As for cost on cambelt on a k series, it’s typically around the 300-350 mark with labour.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2018, 00:43   #30
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

All things considered i'd speculate that the 1.8t is the best of all the engines available in these cars ........V8 included

it has to be the easiest/cheapest to repair and work on - access is great in the 75/ZT engine bay, parts are readily available and reasonably inexpensive - plus it's not a hard engine to figure out for diy home repairs

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote