Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st January 2018, 08:43   #31
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
I wish the clips would make a difference. I would have to cut the hole out of the centre console to let the radio sit further in, then pray that the clips are in just the right place to keep it steady as its hanging from the top.

Im willing to bet this is a seriously unlikely prospect!

Just about had enough really.
Personally I would not make any cuts, simply because a day might come whereby you need to replace the head unit and fitting something else in a position you cut could be awkward and ugly.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 10:34   #32
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie View Post
Just a thought: when re-fitting the climate control unit, use some washers between the unit and the center console on the top. That will make the top of the climate control unit protrude a bit more thus coming flush with the radio.

Not perfect but less annoying and hardly visible for people not familiar with the car

HTH

I am surprised that you are having such great problems, I see from the pictures that there is a problem. I have fitted four Android head units and have never had this problem. Two of the units were purchased from Sean the Radioguy the other two have been fleebay purchases. I have only fitted these to original Hiline cars with the Alpine head unit originally fitted by Rover.
The only problem I have come across is that the steering wheel remote switch box can get in the way. As this is not required for use with the Navall head units I fully remove the white control box. Giving greater front to back space for the installation of an after market head unit.
Navall units I have found to be great and fit well in the double din space thanks to them only being a single din unit with a double din face on it. Most other units have a double din casting, which can cause problems with the units protruding a few mm at the bottom.
The volume of equipment I have behind the centre panel would scare most people I have a full loom that runs front back of the car with relay packs fitted alongside the OBD 2 socket under the the steering column.
The first time I built in a new head unit I had not realised that there are standard connectors at the bottom of the centre unit. Because of this I had run cables back from the spare wheel well to the head unit. I was fitting an old kenwood system cd multi changer cassette unit and am fm wireless. Now I fit android head units in to the cars freeing up masses of space in the boot or spare wheel well and recovering the glove box, I could never understand why the chose to fit the CD changer in the glove box. Not to mention the extra space in the Tourers O/S rear cubby after stripping out the sat nav unit.
You could make the whole front look better by applying walnut facing if you can get your hands on the good stuff ie the plastic vinyl laminate that is several mm thick as opposed to thin veneer.
I think that Sean can help with this. The man I use lives in Poland and has made me custom panels for many cars over the years. I am reasonably sure that Sean also uses the same source.
With careful application of the veneer it will easily take up the uneven finish you currently have.
Hope some of this helps and list you you are not alone when it comes to problems when fitting aftermarket wireless units to your car. Hope you solve your problem soon and get the finish you are looking for.
Regards Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 12:37   #33
Sjonnie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2.5 Manual Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
I am surprised that you are having such great problems, I see from the pictures that there is a problem. I have fitted four Android head units and have never had this problem. Two of the units were purchased from Sean the Radioguy the other two have been fleebay purchases. I have only fitted these to original Hiline cars with the Alpine head unit originally fitted by Rover.
The only problem I have come across is that the steering wheel remote switch box can get in the way. As this is not required for use with the Navall head units I fully remove the white control box. Giving greater front to back space for the installation of an after market head unit.
Navall units I have found to be great and fit well in the double din space thanks to them only being a single din unit with a double din face on it. Most other units have a double din casting, which can cause problems with the units protruding a few mm at the bottom.
The volume of equipment I have behind the centre panel would scare most people I have a full loom that runs front back of the car with relay packs fitted alongside the OBD 2 socket under the the steering column.
The first time I built in a new head unit I had not realised that there are standard connectors at the bottom of the centre unit. Because of this I had run cables back from the spare wheel well to the head unit. I was fitting an old kenwood system cd multi changer cassette unit and am fm wireless. Now I fit android head units in to the cars freeing up masses of space in the boot or spare wheel well and recovering the glove box, I could never understand why the chose to fit the CD changer in the glove box. Not to mention the extra space in the Tourers O/S rear cubby after stripping out the sat nav unit.
You could make the whole front look better by applying walnut facing if you can get your hands on the good stuff ie the plastic vinyl laminate that is several mm thick as opposed to thin veneer.
I think that Sean can help with this. The man I use lives in Poland and has made me custom panels for many cars over the years. I am reasonably sure that Sean also uses the same source.
With careful application of the veneer it will easily take up the uneven finish you currently have.
Hope some of this helps and list you you are not alone when it comes to problems when fitting aftermarket wireless units to your car. Hope you solve your problem soon and get the finish you are looking for.
Regards Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe you quoted the wrong message? I have no problem with the fitting of my NavAll 1. I put it in almost 4 years ago and have not removed it since. If I look very closely lying on the floor of the car I might see that the unit is not 100% flush with the CCM. That is not my regular position in the ZT

The reason I suggested washers was to help the OP find a solution.

In my humble opinion all the wallnutty bits (ie to cover the CCM or even the HU ) are a bit much for my taste. No disrespect!

Sjonnie

Rover 75 2.5 Manual MK2 MY 05 Starlight Silver - Miss March 2022 / Miss May 2023
MG F 1.8i MK2 MY 00 in Anthracite

MG ZT-T 190+ MK2 MY 05 Xpower Grey (sold) - Mr Cover page 2021
Dearly missed: ꝉ ꝉ MG ZT 190+ MK2 MY 04 in Black Olive #8/8 R.I.P. - Miss February 2016

Quote:
If it don't fit use a hammer
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 23:53   #34
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

OK guys here's what Ive done, and ill put a proper guide and report with pics up for people after ive finished.

Ive modified the Xtrons. Most of the inside is fresh air, therefore the metal and plastic at the corners where it touches the lugs poses zero issue. Ive removed EXACTLY the right amount of metal and plastic so that its 100% identical thickness to the OE fitments. (well to the nearest 1/10th of a mm)

Now, this has made it a million times better, but with the application of a little grease around the hole and a mirror, I see my excellent modification job clears the little tabs, but still wont go back the full way. (nearly though)

With a little more grease as a tracer, I see that the hole has remnents of where its not been cut properly from the factory at the sides, and there are "shards" of about 1-2mm wide and about an inch long either side and they touch the very edges of the unit.

What I will do is tidy up the hole and take off these rougue bits, and that should be it!

Heres a pic stolen off the internet of what I mean...

You can see the little bit that are not quite cut out properly above the two tabs, these need a little shave down, then the unit will fit perfectly.

My modification clears both tabs, as I could see with a mirror, and also an application of tracer grease showed none of the tabs were touching the headunit in the area I modified.

Im quite pleased with myself, as the result looks like its been made like that from the factory. Something I always strive for when doing ANYthing on any car.

So I will do a guide for Xtrons people, but it DOES involve breaking the warranty sticker, taking the lid off, so you can unscrew the plastic front and do the job right, and not bodge it and leave metal filings inside the unit.

Still, its the RIGHT way to do the job, maybe sellers could add on a fee for pre-modification before selling to ensure a 100% original looking fit.

I cannot say anything about Navalls or anyother unit, only the Xtrons

I think it's safe to say these dash holes were probably cut by someones mum, or perhaps a chimp at the factory.. I mean.. check this guys hole.... (insert rude joke here)

There are not even attempts at little tabs like most of them, just a wavering saw line!! What an abomination! Guarantee you'd never see that on a German vehicle. At least mine has two distinct squares that someone bothered to try and make look professional, so there is that at least. If it was like the above... I would have quit while I was ahead and just returned the unit.

Last edited by T16; 22nd January 2018 at 00:07..
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 23:58   #35
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Personally I would not make any cuts, simply because a day might come whereby you need to replace the head unit and fitting something else in a position you cut could be awkward and ugly.
Ken.

Totally agree. The unit should be modified to fit the car, not the car modified to fit the unit.

If I ever had to replace back to OE, I'd need a new centre tunnel, and I just cannot be bothered with that nonsense!
Old 22nd January 2018, 01:10   #36
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

OK good news!

Exactly as I predicted, now it fits absolutely BANG on, looks great.

Only problem.... it was dark, cold, and I hadnt eaten all day, so I slipped with the knife and took a chunk out the centre console surround, so will get another to remedy that, but I now have a unit that looks factory fit.

Next few days ill get all the pics up and go into better details.
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:15   #37
jubbarelly

MG ZT 180 SE Poseidon, Peugeot 508 GT Sport Tourer

Look forward to seeing the results mate.

Jub

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
jubbarelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:35   #38
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

That’s a load of work Ross but well worth it. Can’t wait to see the finished fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2018, 12:24   #39
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Not managed mine yet , put the erising back..

So many odd things to do on the 4 Zeds , and its been raining almost every spare minute ..

Even now its bucketing down .. so the boots are all a bit damp !! ..
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2018, 00:25   #40
T16

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coups View Post
That’s a load of work Ross but well worth it. Can’t wait to see the finished fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goes from bad to worse I'm afraid but use my pain as a warning when fitting this Chinese ****.

Try this... Fit the thing with no cables attached, and the two top screws. Because the metal is so thin and weedy, the entire unit just flaps about like a windchime in the breeze, its shocking.

ALso, the bottom clips that DID NOT COME WITH MINE, are 100% ESSENTIAL. If you have the bottom clips, it will fit fine, but sticking out at the bottom, due to the fact its a few mm thicker than original. If thats OK with you then great, but it looks like **** to me.

However I have made some progress, I contacted Xtrons directly, and they sent me two spring clips (Jubbarelly I never got a result from I'm afraid, despite asking and waiting)

Despite waiting two weeks from HongKong, they didnt even supply the ***ing screws to fit them, but luckily screws from the top cover fitted.

Sliding the unit in with the bottom clips, RESULT, its held in place firmly, and properly, with one caveat. Because of the mods I made to change the dimensions so it would not protrude at the bottom, there is movement in and out at the bottom of the 2-3mm that I modified it by. To be expected I suppose, as they would have made these clips to work with the original thickness.

This is not such a big deal, I will either make up two little solid adhesive rubber pads to stick to the back of the original plastic tabs at the bottom of the radio opening (these are there for the clips to work btw, that is their purpose) or I will mod the clips.

Thinkng about it, I'd rather not mod the clips as once they are changed, there is no going back. still it depends on how the little rubber pads go. Should be ok.

The good thing about the Xtrons spring clips being cheap Chinese garbage, is that when removing the radio you do not need any tools like the BMW Apline Boardmonitor. Just give it a firm tug and the clips being quite thin and weak spring into the unit and allow removal very easily.

So.... in summary.... anyone that buys one, fit it without the cables attached and see how bad it really is. The BMW one doesnt do this, as the mounts at the top are solid.

When I thicken the bottom lugs with some solid 3mm Neoprene sheet, this will take up the small gap between them and the spring clips, and the radio will be fitting 100% perfectly.

I am seriously unimpressed tbh. Such a massive amount of messing around, but the end result is that it will look 100% factor fit, no movement, no gaps, no protrusion or anything.

The reason Ive no updated is that I was waiting for Jubbs to help, and Xtrons to do something, I knew at least one would let me down, so tried both avenues.

If people do not secure the radio with clips, when you are driving down the road you will feel it moving around with your finger placed on the edge and the console surround, its absolutely ridiculous.

Like I said, if I hadnt had modified the radio thickness, I would have a perfect fit in terms of solidity, but sticking out like a f**ny at the bottom. If that is OK for some people, great, get your bottom clips and rock on!

People dont seem to have noticed, but a standard fit of one of these is basically relying on flipping gravity to keep it from banging around, infact, if you went over a bumpy road, I'd be willing to bet you'd hear it or feel it banging around at the bottom.

Worst £170 Ive ever spent I think.....!!

My gut tells me that all of them are the same, Navall, Xtrons, JWow, RingJoy, Chongsing, etc... (ok, I just made most of them up, but you get the picture!)

From my research on the internets, even people with proper cars that mount the radios properly with FOUR screws have fitting issues with these units for their cars. How hard can it be to make a radio thats exactly the same dimensions as the OE item? Crazy.

I will update once again when I am finished.

So in short so far it is:-

Remove plastic lugs from the side.
Re-shape metal lugs at the top to fit under the eyebrow
Modify unit thickness at the bottom by taking away some of the metal, and 1mm of plastic at each corner on the back
Trim down the excess stuff at the sides of the hole in the console so its actually straight at the sides
Get clips from Xtrons
See a doctor for some valium
Modify clips or thicken the bottom lugs at the back with something

And that should be job done. Fitted, solidly, correctly, and with no protrusion anywhere and all flush with the console and A/C control panel.

Last edited by T16; 12th February 2018 at 00:40..