Notices

Old 19th October 2018, 10:57   #1
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts
Default Bracket / fixing ??

Hey up,
Anyone have the correct name for the piece that the lens mount bracket fixes onto and then onto the tripod ?
My lens mount has two holes and I am wondering if it were possible to get an equal part for slotting onto the tripod.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 11:47   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyeth View Post
Hey up,
Anyone have the correct name for the piece that the lens mount bracket fixes onto and then onto the tripod ?
My lens mount has two holes and I am wondering if it were possible to get an equal part for slotting onto the tripod.
Ken.
They're normally called tripod mounts, and most I have used and seen, clamp to the lens barrel, rather than screw into it.

What is the lens?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2018, 13:46   #3
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
They're normally called tripod mounts, and most I have used and seen, clamp to the lens barrel, rather than screw into it.

What is the lens?

It`s a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Rather heavy.
Ken.
Old 19th October 2018, 14:46   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
It`s a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Rather heavy.
Ken.
I think i know the lens, I always thought it came with a tripod mount? The screw holes may be for a hood if it is an older one (with an aperture ring). The newer ones I think made do with a bayonet mounted hood.

To get a mount for it though should be easy enough, via eBay and Amazon, however be sure of the model. I think there were 3 available in the last 10-15 years (ie suitable for most Nikon digital cameras, I am assuming it is digital of course). I cannot remember the third, but if I recall there was a G, an ED and maybe more recently a G VR version. I haven't dealt with or followed Nikon gear for over 5 years though.

Old 20th October 2018, 05:19   #5
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Quote:
I think i know the lens, I always thought it came with a tripod mount? The screw holes may be for a hood if it is an older one (with an aperture ring). The newer ones I think made do with a bayonet mounted hood.

To get a mount for it though should be easy enough, via eBay and Amazon, however be sure of the model. I think there were 3 available in the last 10-15 years (ie suitable for most Nikon digital cameras, I am assuming it is digital of course). I cannot remember the third, but if I recall there was a G, an ED and maybe more recently a G VR version. I haven't dealt with or followed Nikon gear for over 5 years though.

It has a tripod mount, the base of the mount has 2 screw holes and with it being a heavy lens I thought perhaps there was a more robust fixing between the lens and the tripod.
Ken.
Old 20th October 2018, 10:22   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
It has a tripod mount, the base of the mount has 2 screw holes and with it being a heavy lens I thought perhaps there was a more robust fixing between the lens and the tripod.
Ken.
the tripod mount will be positioned where the centre of gravity is with a camera mounted (try it by holding the camera and lens in the palm of your hand).

The two holes, if threaded, are there to allow for a light/heavy camera whilst maintaining its C.O.G. Select the one that makes the camera/lens/tripod feel balanced when fitted. Some secondary holes are unthreaded, these are for a locating pin that will be on the plate, which helps to keep the camera/lens on a plane to maintain its mounting security (the second threaded hole will also perform this function when not used).

The lens mount though will be more than adequate for both the camera and lens. If it is the type I am thinking of, it is a very clever design, to allow for quick release, and I believe made from a lightweight alloy. The alloy ring will be brittle if dropped on its own, though, but will be fine on the lens.

The lens is not really that heavy, though, but if your tripod feels unstable with it on, you may need to upgrade your tripod or splay its legs a little in the meantime.

Old 20th October 2018, 10:31   #7
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Quote:
the tripod mount will be positioned where the centre of gravity is with a camera mounted (try it by holding the camera and lens in the palm of your hand).

The two holes, if threaded, are there to allow for a light/heavy camera whilst maintaining its C.O.G. Select the one that makes the camera/lens/tripod feel balanced when fitted. Some secondary holes are unthreaded, these are for a locating pin that will be on the plate, which helps to keep the camera/lens on a plane to maintain its mounting security (the second threaded hole will also perform this function when not used).

The lens mount though will be more than adequate for both the camera and lens. If it is the type I am thinking of, it is a very clever design, to allow for quick release, and I believe made from a lightweight alloy. The alloy ring will be brittle if dropped on its own, though, but will be fine on the lens.

The lens is not really that heavy, though, but if your tripod feels unstable with it on, you may need to upgrade your tripod or splay its legs a little in the meantime.

Thanks for the time and help Alan, now to put my trust in Nikon engineering.
My tripod is only one of those £50 ones, when the "ship comes in" maybe a better quality one.
Again, thank you.
Ken.
Old 20th October 2018, 11:07   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
My tripod is only one of those £50 ones, when the "ship comes in" maybe a better quality one.
I fear this is the problem. The lighter weight ones are ok for a basic kit set up although, I always found they could quiver when the mirror closed (use mirror lock up if you have if on your camera when using it). The head would be just as important to a tripod set up though.

Look on gumtree etc for a decent tripod. I have a Giottos set of legs (right time and right place - free!) and a Manfrotto head (322RC - overkill for my needs, but it was so cheap). I went for the manfrotto head to allow me to put a manfrotto ball head onto my monopod, allowing me a quick release option to switch between them easily. When I tried it all out for the first time, the difference was so obvious, even the head making a huge difference. Remember you are supporting £1000+ worth of equipment with a £50 device.

In the meantime, keep your legs as short as possible, and do not use any head riser. That hopefully will give a bit of stability. Also try hooking your camera bag on the central vertical post to weight down the tripod.