Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th September 2020, 08:43   #31
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaslan View Post
I would be asking the garage to replace both, as one has failed totaly and the other is fitted incorrectly. You have to asume that as the garage supplied both bushes at the same time, the bushes are of the same make and batch.
I would also ask the garage to replace the defective bushes with a set from a different supplyer and a different make.
alan
100% they need to change both no questions asked with some good ones with the right amount of rubber in the inserts.

These would be good if the seller can 100% guarantee that you would get the ones in the photo with the right amount of rubber in the inserts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-ROVER...oAAOSwrfRcNH04

PS these look to be good as well but the questions above must be asked about the amount of rubber? before purchase.
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/metzger-1817617.html

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/metzger-1817618.html

Meyle also sold on the above site.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 16th September 2020 at 08:56.. Reason: rectification
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2020, 18:49   #32
Eddy600
Loves to post

Rover, MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
100% they need to change both no questions asked with some good ones with the right amount of rubber in the inserts.

These would be good if the seller can 100% guarantee that you would get the ones in the photo with the right amount of rubber in the inserts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-ROVER...oAAOSwrfRcNH04

PS these look to be good as well but the questions above must be asked about the amount of rubber? before purchase.
https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/metzger-1817617.html

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/metzger-1817618.html

Meyle also sold on the above site.
Might gamble on them meyle ones in the top link need to do my rear bushes on my mg6, used to buy the unipart ones but now they have stopped selling parts so unsure on what to buy
Eddy600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 09:01   #33
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Having replaced the "Longslot" type rear bush with a Short Slot, as it came with the new arm ,

I Can definitely say its has made the comfort feeling slightly worse as I can now feel more road and engine vibration through the floor on the rougher ( i.e most roads).

But the car seems a bit tighter to drive with these.

So you takes your choice , softer ride or hopefully Longer lasting ??

But hopefully this may improve. and we will seen if they last longer than the replaced long slots. which are actually still ok after a fair few miles ( need to look in the history )

Chris
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 17th September 2020 at 09:03..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 10:55   #34
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Default Rubbish bush's

Wow those are some shocking images of new garage supplied and fitted bushes, im no expert but have now done both front arms and bushes myself on the ZTT as a newbie "3 star diy'er", didnt even manage to mess it up like that lol.

Last week got myself into a pickle replacing the drivers side lower arm and bush, made mistake of buying an arm and bush together on ebay in what was claimed to be "Ebays largest and best automotive parts store" lol.
Long story short the bush arrived already pressed onto the arm which concerned me immediately as was clearly pressed on to far beyond the marks on the arm and with no way to adjust it it was on tight and never coming off in one piece. The cheap bush looked pretty poor quality anyway, both rubber bush material and steel housing where shoddy looking but that didnt stop me ignoring my inner voice and attempting to fit it! After all it took 3 days to get the old one off with that central ball joint playing hard to get so how hard could it be? and the weight of the car will cause it the arm to self adjust in the bush lol (my erroneous rational at the time confirmed by this thread!!) .

The result of going into combat with a wrongly fitted bush on the arm was being unable to get the second bolt in properly and so damaging the top few threads in one of the the sub frame holes out of frustration trying to fit the arm with that cheap and wrongly pressed bush on it! Defeated I took a couple of days off for my arms to heal, complained at the seller to help my spirit a bit (partial refund obtained ), then bought a Moog bush from that eurocar parts place delivered in 24 hours no messing and so cut the wrongly pressed bush off, which im keeping as a reminder for the future lol. Also had to buy a M14 x 2mm thread pitch tap to repair the sub frame threads I mauled and of course new high tensile M14 x 40 bolts (ebay supplied hard to find elsewhere presently). After retapping the bush hole and getting the new arm and moog bush on in an hour or so was properly gutted to find there was still play in the drivers side front wheel but slight unlike before with that well worn arm, i think it was original and car is at 162K now. Not sure how long this cheap ebay arm will last but car is much better with a tight arm on and rattles less on the superbly neglected A roads......

So now contemplating replacing the entire hub for a second hand one if can find something decent unless can find somebody local to press in new bearings as i dont have the kit to do that sadly but thats a different thread for another day.

Can I just say and at risk of speaking the obvious but its very important to get the best bush you can afford, i learned that last week and everywhere i look especially like this thread its an excellent example why.

What do folks think of the moog parts as generally curious, the Moog bush looks a lot better bush than the cheapo ebay one. I have images of it all but cant post them as of yet, image below of the moog and bits used to fix my ZTT.

Last edited by Retap; 17th September 2020 at 11:11..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 11:17   #35
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retap View Post
Wow those are some shocking images of new garage supplied and fitted bushes, im no expert but have now done both front arms and bushes myself on the ZTT as a newbie "3 star diy'er", didnt even manage to mess it up like that lol.

Last week got myself into a pickle replacing the drivers side lower arm and bush, made mistake of buying an arm and bush together on ebay in what was claimed to be "Ebays largest and best automotive parts store" lol.
Long story short the bush arrived already pressed onto the arm which concerned me immediately as was clearly pressed on to far beyond the marks on the arm and with no way to adjust it it was on tight and never coming off in one piece. The cheap bush looked pretty poor quality anyway, both rubber bush material and steel housing where shoddy looking but that didnt stop me ignoring my inner voice and attempting to fit it! After all it took 3 days to get the old one off with that central ball joint playing hard to get so how hard could it be? and the weight of the car will cause it the arm to self adjust in the bush lol (my erroneous rational at the time confirmed by this thread!!) .

The result of going into combat with a wrongly fitted bush on the arm was being unable to get the second bolt in properly and so damaging the top few threads in one of the the sub frame holes out of frustration trying to fit the arm with that cheap and wrongly pressed bush on it! Defeated I took a couple of days off for my arms to heal, complained at the seller to help my spirit a bit (partial refund obtained ), then bought a Moog bush from that eurocar parts place delivered in 24 hours no messing and so cut the wrongly pressed bush off, which im keeping as a reminder for the future lol. Also had to buy a M14 x 2mm thread pitch tap to repair the sub frame threads I mauled and of course new high tensile M14 x 40 bolts (ebay supplied hard to find elsewhere presently). After retapping the bush hole and getting the new arm and moog bush on in an hour or so was properly gutted to find there was still play in the drivers side front wheel but slight unlike before with that well worn arm, i think it was original and car is at 162K now. Not sure how long this cheap ebay arm will last but car is much better with a tight arm on and rattles less on the superbly neglected A roads......

So now contemplating replacing the entire hub for a second hand one if can find something decent unless can find somebody local to press in new bearings as i dont have the kit to do that sadly but thats a different thread for another day.

Can I just say and at risk of speaking the obvious but its very important to get the best bush you can afford, i learned that last week and everywhere i look especially like this thread its an excellent example why. What do folks think of the moog parts generally curois it looked a lot better bush than the cheapo ebay one... image below.

Hi John.
main reason not to purchase an arm with the bush already fitted is as above you never know how far its been pressed on, bit of rubber grease help the bush push on nicely, also make sure the arm is dressed so no sharp edges to snag on, with the moog bush it would be good if you could post a photo of the rubber insert to give us an idea of which type it is.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 17th September 2020, 11:27   #36
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Had advisories on my front bushes and rear arms, so I've ordered a pair of the Meyle bushes you linked to Steve, and I've got an early pair of rear arms, all to fit next year sometime.
suzublu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 11:28   #37
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Hi Arctic, thanks for your comments i actually had to file a snaggy bit down on the arm, not much just to smoothen it up a bit for a nice freshly shaved fit as was slightly snaggy. When the arm arrived and opened it to find bush pressed on already i was a bit concerned tbh and immediately noted the bush looked to far on about 2mm beyond the line, not massive but enough to cause mis alignment on the sub frame it would seem. When did other side last year bought new arm and bush in same way but both came separate in the box so pressed bush on upto the line comparing it with old arm next to it and fitted no probs with the old bolts to, that was a weekend job for me... Certainly will not be making that mistake again!

Have some images to post no probs, just need to subscribe to do it by looks of it...

Edit

I have to jack that drivers side wheel up again nxt few days to see if the bearing sounds rough and when i do i shall take a picture of the arm with moog bush as put a black line on the arm where the fitted cheapo bush was fitted to on the arm and at last look there is a good 5mm between that line and the edge of moog bush so yeah the cheapo bush was pressed on well to far. images to follow...

Last edited by Retap; 17th September 2020 at 11:43..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2020, 22:12   #38
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Hi John.
I re-visited the lower wish bone bushes i purchased in the past, which should have had the larger amount of rubber in them due to the photos on the sellers listings, twice i got caught out before i managed to get hold of two sets of Unipart ones.

Here are the photos i took today of the lower wish bone bushed left to right they are Febi, Chinese, Unipart.

As you can see all are different either in the castings, rubber and most certainly how the insert is situated with regards to fitting onto the arm.

Febi & Chinese

All there together Unipart on the right.

Seeing that the inserts are all at a differing angle i wonder if this is why we have trouble getting them to line up with the bolts holes in the subframe.

These are poly bush ones we fitted back in 2014 that's another story.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 18th September 2020, 07:37   #39
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Would think the angular position of the rubber heaxagon in relation to the mounting face is extremely important.otherwise depending on the position, the rubber would be under constant stress even in the neutral / static/ parked state.

When I fitted my arm I kept the arm jacked up to just take the cars weight and the bush was spot on with the subframe surface. ..
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2020, 14:27   #40
sln8458
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Contemporary SE 2.0 Diesel Auto 2005 Facelift

I have a pair of the MEYLE in the garage to be fitted.

Looking at the last pic in Steve's post (the yellow/red bushes). The hex appears to be almost inline horizontally. This appears to show the Unipart bushes as being correctly assembled. (judging by the photos only).

I'm just going to check what my pair look like.

SteveN
Cruise Control; FBH with GSM (was FrenchMike's Remote) & dash button; Rear Blind; In-line Thermostat; wired in front & rear cameras; Mercedes DRL +DRL2; twin horns, twin usb power outlets, digital coolant temperature readout, Real Walnut dash, Walnut & black leather steering wheel, Towbar with full Rover harness.
Rear seat cup holders.

Mods to do: all done , need to come up with some more.
sln8458 is offline   Reply With Quote