Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd October 2020, 22:46   #1
david75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn SE, 04; Rover 75 1.8 conn, 02

Default grill badge

When I bought my car (R75 facelift) about a year ago the previous owner had very decently replaced the front grill badge, so it was nice and pristine.

However, since then it went all dull and almost unreadable through a sort of milkyness, which normal cleaning didn't remove.

Today I used some rubbing compound on it, which cleared the milkyness off the outer surface ok, but revealed that the badge seems to have delaminated slightly, as can be seem in the picture - the brighter red patch is where water has got in.

As it was not bought by me, I don't know whether the badge was OEM or replica, nor do I know whether a replacement eg from Rimmers https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001816 would quickly go the same way.

Any advice please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0482 (3).jpg (116.1 KB, 47 views)
david75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 00:41   #2
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david75 View Post
When I bought my car (R75 facelift) about a year ago the previous owner had very decently replaced the front grill badge, so it was nice and pristine.

However, since then it went all dull and almost unreadable through a sort of milkyness, which normal cleaning didn't remove.

Today I used some rubbing compound on it, which cleared the milkyness off the outer surface ok, but revealed that the badge seems to have delaminated slightly, as can be seem in the picture - the brighter red patch is where water has got in.

As it was not bought by me, I don't know whether the badge was OEM or replica, nor do I know whether a replacement eg from Rimmers https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001816 would quickly go the same way.

Any advice please?
That looks like a V8 3D grill badge. The correct R75 Mk2 badge is just a thin self adhesive decal that fits into the recess of the chrome grill trim - pays your money, takes your choice but you have to do a bit of bodging to fit the 3D version.
Regardless of which one you prefer they all suffer from water ingress into the substrate either via the edge of the decal or through road debris damage to the outer clear coating (it's also possible for water to get in from behind the decal because there are a couple of holes in the surround trim). Fit whatever replacement you fancy and then give it two or three light coats of semi-gloss clear acrylic varnish to seal it all up, giving close attention to the edges of the decal.
Club member Jezzer on here does/used to do a nice reproduction decal.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 06:57   #3
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by david75 View Post

Any advice please?
PM sent re badges.

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 13:51   #4
Adam2003
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connoisseur

Is yours a sticker or a an actual badge? Mines a sticker and it’s starting to scratch off. I’m not sure if it’s what previous owner put on or if it was Rover being cheap at the end of production.

So I was just wondering if MK2s have a sticker or an actual badge for when I replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adam2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2020, 15:53   #5
Jdwoodhou
Loves to post

R75 1.8 Con SE Man Saloon

The replacement decal badge is identical to the thin metal decal which comes fitted to the 3D badge which comes complete with the chrome plinth. The original Facelift badge is dark grey rather than the true black of the replacement badge.

Yes, I think Rover were saving money as the decal is easily damaged and water can get underneath it and make it bubble up.
Old 4th October 2020, 21:18   #6
david75
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
PM sent re badges.
PM replied. thank you
Old 4th October 2020, 21:21   #7
david75
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
That looks like a V8 3D grill badge. The correct R75 Mk2 badge is just a thin self adhesive decal that fits into the recess of the chrome grill trim - pays your money, takes your choice but you have to do a bit of bodging to fit the 3D version.
Regardless of which one you prefer they all suffer from water ingress into the substrate either via the edge of the decal or through road debris damage to the outer clear coating (it's also possible for water to get in from behind the decal because there are a couple of holes in the surround trim). Fit whatever replacement you fancy and then give it two or three light coats of semi-gloss clear acrylic varnish to seal it all up, giving close attention to the edges of the decal.
Club member Jezzer on here does/used to do a nice reproduction decal.
I don't think mine is the "V8 3D" that you describe. It fits your description of "a thin self adhesive decal that fits into the recess of the chrome grill trim". I like the idea of varnishing the surface and edges of a new one when I get it. Thank you
Old 4th October 2020, 21:22   #8
david75
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwoodhou View Post
The replacement decal badge is identical to the thin metal decal which comes fitted to the 3D badge which comes complete with the chrome plinth. The original Facelift badge is dark grey rather than the true black of the replacement badge.

Yes, I think Rover were saving money as the decal is easily damaged and water can get underneath it and make it bubble up.
thank you, that's helpful
Old 5th October 2020, 09:27   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

This is the face lift badge alloy, and as an adhesive backing, good tip is before fitting the badge is give it a coat of clear lacquer gloss spray.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-M....c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-R...gAAOSwKtlcLpBN

The 3D ones are mainly for the Rover 25/45 but i think they fit the 75

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-FRO...gAAOSwToZcdXND

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote