Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th October 2020, 13:36   #1
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Default twice pull lock system ??

I've always had a slight problem with my drivers door handle in that it needed a double pull to open it. I've always assumed it was a fault and, with some free time available, I started looking for how-to's to remove the door card.

Unfortunately the how-to's on here have lost all their pictures but I did spot something about the twice pull lock system to get out if the doors have been locked.

I doubt these things are connected but thought worth asking the collective if my driver's door handle problem is a known thing plus any revised door card removal threads i could be pointed to??
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 13:39   #2
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

If I remember correctly, if you have the door locked, the first pull unlocks it (the button pops up) the second pull then actually opens it. Presume it applies to the other doors as well but never had need to find out.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 13:48   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
I've always had a slight problem with my drivers door handle in that it needed a double pull to open it. I've always assumed it was a fault and, with some free time available, I started looking for how-to's to remove the door card.

Unfortunately the how-to's on here have lost all their pictures but I did spot something about the twice pull lock system to get out if the doors have been locked.

I doubt these things are connected but thought worth asking the collective if my driver's door handle problem is a known thing plus any revised door card removal threads i could be pointed to??
Not sure about the front doors but when my rear door was playing up I had to adjust and cable tie the threaded white clip in place.

You haven't got speed locking enabled, have you?

Regards
vitesse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 14:19   #4
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

I do not think that it's a fault.

There is a dealer option were all the cars doors lock automatically, over 5 mph (or so)
I think it's called anti hijack, or similar.

It can be disabled, with the Rover T4 diagnostic software.

Regards

Mike

Previously
2002 75 1.8 auto Club SE,
2000 75 1.8 auto Classic SE (Company Car)
1997 420 (Company Car)
1996 216 cabriolet,
198? 213 VDP
1986 SD1 V8 VDP,
1968 2000TC,
1966 2000.
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 15:42   #5
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

if you have speed locking enabled where the doors automatically lock when you drive over 5mph then you will have to pull the door handle twice to open the door. The first pull releases the door lock pin (the pin at the top of the door card that pops down when the door is locked) and then the second pull of the door handle opens the door. This will be the case for all four doors.

or if you're pressing the door lock button in the center console or manually pushing the lock pin at the top of the door card down then the same applies when opening the door via the handle.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2020, 16:36   #6
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I had my speed locking disabled at a Nano meeting. The problem I found was that passengers did not understand that you had to pull the interior door handle twice to open the door.
They would just keep pulling and pulling because the door would not open, I feared that the mechanism would be damaged by such action hence my decision to have speed locking disabled.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 12:18   #7
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post
I had my speed locking disabled at a Nano meeting. The problem I found was that passengers did not understand that you had to pull the interior door handle twice to open the door.
They would just keep pulling and pulling because the door would not open, I feared that the mechanism would be damaged by such action hence my decision to have speed locking disabled.
If I have passengers I just tap the lock button by the handbrake as I pull up, no more dramas.
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 17:22   #8
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post

As has been said by others, 99% chance you have speed locking enabled.
My ZTT did and the grandkids would haul on it and even popped the chrome door handle surround off ! Think they distorted the door card to be honest.
Their excuse was " it just fell off" . Yeah, right!!
What, on both rear doors?

Needs a T4 to disable it .
Old 7th October 2020, 20:19   #9
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Thanks for the responses fellas. I obviously wasn't very clear as my problem is the outside handle on my drivers door. Once unlocked by key or fob I generally have to double-pull the handle to get the door open. Sort of bumping the mechanism perhaps to reach the point of release.

Clearly, this isn't right and it should be like the passenger side and a simple pull on the handle should pop the door. Just reluctant to go to the aggravation of broken clips and damaged membranes to attempt a fix whilst it's not yet actually broken.

The car is about as young as a ZTT can be and only 66k so I'm thinking that if this is a design fault then others might have had similar long before now but the internal double-pull thing was all I could find, hence my probably confusing reference.
vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2020, 20:43   #10
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

OK perhaps this post from Stocktake will help:https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...35&postcount=7

Regards
vitesse is online now   Reply With Quote